Recording with a Covid Mask

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Just curious: For those of us who feel that our voice sounds tinny, or that we have a bathroom-echo in our recording, has anyone considered, or better yet, tried, or even better, measured a change in tone by simply wearing a Covid mask?
These things are a dime a dozen, and I also wonder whether the cloth mask stifles the sound of the in-breath or the lip-smack.
Cheers
Chris
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I would not think it would help at all, but just make the recording muddy. And it would not make any difference to "bathroom echo" as any sound outside of the mask would still be picked up by the mic with any room sound or echo.
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

The COVID mask might be a benefit in reducing plosives, similar to a pop filter, but mostly I find it more difficult to hear/understand those with the mask. An interest thought though; I never would have thought of it, since I rarely use one.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

lurcherlover wrote: February 25th, 2022, 10:07 am I would not think it would help at all, but just make the recording muddy. And it would not make any difference to "bathroom echo" as any sound outside of the mask would still be picked up by the mic with any room sound or echo.
Right. But have you tried, or even better, measured a change in tone by simply wearing a Covid mask?

I am not (yet!) proposing a double-blind test here, but looking for anyone who has made even a simple subjective test.
The proof, as they say, is in trying it and judging the result.

Thanks
Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DACSoft wrote: February 25th, 2022, 11:11 am The COVID mask might be a benefit in reducing plosives, similar to a pop filter, but mostly I find it more difficult to hear/understand those with the mask. An interest thought though; I never would have thought of it, since I rarely use one.
Thanks, Don. I had vaguely thought that a Covid mask was somewhat like a pop filter, which I think of as a mask for a microphone, that had decided to cover the mouth instead of the microphone. A piece of cloth between the mouth and the microphone is, after all, just a piece of cloth between the mouth and the microphone.
I find it difficult to understand people when they speak - face-to-face - through a mask, but that is in part because I am missing the facial expressions.

When you report that "I find it more difficult to hear/understand those with the mask", do you mean understanding people recording through a face mask?
Someone with a proper studio already has all the professional stuff, but I think that this might be a cheap solution to some audible-problems for those of us on a less-than-low budget, and I had seen no discussion of it in these forums.

A week ago I read a post about propping pillows up to reduce some echoing, but there was no objective confirmation of the results. I would need The World's Toughest PL to let me know whether it made any difference to my tracks.
Cheers
Chris
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

ChrisGreaves wrote: February 25th, 2022, 11:53 am
DACSoft wrote: February 25th, 2022, 11:11 am The COVID mask might be a benefit in reducing plosives, similar to a pop filter, but mostly I find it more difficult to hear/understand those with the mask. An interest thought though; I never would have thought of it, since I rarely use one.
I find it difficult to understand people when they speak - face-to-face - through a mask, but that is in part because I am missing the facial expressions.

When you report that "I find it more difficult to hear/understand those with the mask", do you mean understanding people recording through a face mask?
Hi Chris,

Well, it's mostly face-to-face. I haven't actually heard a recording from a masked individual. However, I have the same difficulty with news reporters, lecturers, and others speaking into a microphone when masked, which is probably closer to such a recording. :hmm:

Of course, this is purely anecdotal; I've done no analytical testing. :)
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

As someone who relies on lipreading to help me follow conversations mask-wearing has made life much more difficult but I suppose that may only be the seeing side of it.
But it does escape my why anyone would want to do it - the pillows act as sound proofing and echo squashers. I judge readers by how they read, not by whether the sound quality is "perfect".

Anne
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

DACSoft wrote: February 25th, 2022, 11:11 am
Hi Chris,

Well, it's mostly face-to-face. I haven't actually heard a recording from a masked individual. However, I have the same difficulty with news reporters, lecturers, and others speaking into a microphone when masked, which is probably closer to such a recording. :hmm:

Of course, this is purely anecdotal; I've done no analytical testing. :)
Yes, on TV I have more difficulty in understanding masked speakers as well.

The mention about pillows to reduce room sound (echo) - yes they do work but better still is the use of blankets and duvets behind the mic and behind the reader, and careful placement can reduce room sound considerably. If people want to try the masked reading then fine. (Please report back). But I have more important things to do ... like recording and editing!
zachh

Post by zachh »

I always record in a sort of tent made by hanging a blanket over a rod above the chair where I sit. The disadvantage is that it's dark, and in the summertime it can be stuffy, but it does eliminate the echo I had in my first 1 minute test.