Weird Tales Serial Novels, Novellas and Themed Story Collections

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I added a bunch of additional single--issue novelettes to the first post that would make for great quick solos!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I updated the first post with novellettes and serials releases in 1927! Some good ones in there!
martywell

Post by martywell »

Hi,
I don’t quite understand what I need to do. I would like to record “The Closed Cabinet.” I am new to this, although I have now recorded several sections in various works. But they were already set up. Please let me know how to proceed. Thanks, Martha (Marty) Weller.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

martywell wrote: April 4th, 2023, 10:35 am Hi,
I don’t quite understand what I need to do. I would like to record “The Closed Cabinet.” I am new to this, although I have now recorded several sections in various works. But they were already set up. Please let me know how to proceed. Thanks, Martha (Marty) Weller.
Basically just follow the instructions here:
viewtopic.php?t=13513

You basically fill out the project template generator to generate the code for the new project then copy n paste it into a new topic in the New Project Launch Pad.
msfry

Post by msfry »

flavo5000 wrote: April 4th, 2023, 11:11 am
martywell wrote: April 4th, 2023, 10:35 am Hi,
Basically just follow the instructions here:
viewtopic.php?t=13513

You basically fill out the project template generator to generate the code for the new project then copy n paste it into a new topic in the New Project Launch Pad.
WOW! Somebody needs to edit that Wiki. Those instructions are OLD. I'll put it on my list to do soon if nobody beats me to it, and maybe give a video presentation of the process in the next 1st Monday's Zoom session. Meanwhile, Marty, if you want a private Zoom tutorial, I'm happy to oblige. Just PM me to set up a time. It's a lot easier to show than explain in writing.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ben, how are you ascertaining Word Count on these projects? Unless you have a magic wand, I suspect you're doing a lot of work to get these.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

msfry wrote: April 4th, 2023, 3:52 pm Ben, how are you ascertaining Word Count on these projects? Unless you have a magic wand, I suspect you're doing a lot of work to get these.
I don't know how Ben is doing it, but I use the rule of thumb that the average page of a book has roughly 250 words. So you could count how many pages there are in the book and then multiple that number by 250 to get a very rough estimate.
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: April 4th, 2023, 3:52 pm Ben, how are you ascertaining Word Count on these projects? Unless you have a magic wand, I suspect you're doing a lot of work to get these.
I've got a Word Counter Chrome extension that makes it pretty easy where I can just highlight the text and there's a word count option in the right-click menu. The ones on Hathi/google are a little trickier where I have to download the pdf of it and I use Freeconvert.com to convert the PDF to a txt file, then get the word count from there. Gutenberg and Archive are easy though. With non PG sources, the count tends to be inflated a little because it also counts the headers of the pages that PG removes, but that's not really a big deal.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

elsieselwyn wrote: April 4th, 2023, 4:06 pm
I don't know how Ben is doing it, but I use the rule of thumb that the average page of a book has roughly 250 words. So you could count how many pages there are in the book and then multiple that number by 250 to get a very rough estimate.
Well, depending on the source, the average page count could be anywhere from 150 to 500 words. There are even ones like Diary of a Late Physician (https://archive.org/details/b24758796) that manage to cram about a thousand words on a single page. So you end up with a 300 page book that's over 300K words :shock:

On the opposite side of the spectrum is a book like The Shrine of Death by Lady Dilke (https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112042492162) that I read a while back that only has around 65 words a page.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I have a variety of word count methods myself, all time consuming. I'm asking Ben what his are, as he's doing so many, I have to suspect a back room of locked up slaves, fairies, witches, or bewitched maidens in his service, a time warp, or some other such weirdness. If you would reveal your actual methods, Ben, I'd feel so much better.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: April 4th, 2023, 4:23 pm I have a variety of word count methods myself, all time consuming. I'm asking Ben what his are, as he's doing so many, I have to suspect a back room of locked up slaves, fairies, witches, or bewitched maidens in his service, a time warp, or some other such weirdness. If you would reveal your actual methods, Ben, I'd feel so much better.
This is the specific extension I referred to in the above post:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/word-counter-plus/fpjegfbcdijjfkceenlfoehpcakfgldj?hl=en
msfry

Post by msfry »

flavo5000 wrote: April 4th, 2023, 4:27 pm
msfry wrote: April 4th, 2023, 4:23 pm I have a variety of word count methods myself, all time consuming. I'm asking Ben what his are, as he's doing so many, I have to suspect a back room of locked up slaves, fairies, witches, or bewitched maidens in his service, a time warp, or some other such weirdness. If you would reveal your actual methods, Ben, I'd feel so much better.
This is the specific extension I referred to in the above post:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/word-counter-plus/fpjegfbcdijjfkceenlfoehpcakfgldj?hl=en
Hmmm. I missed the "above post". Seeing it now. Will check this out. Thanks.
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Word Counter Plus will install into Brave but not Edge, which are the two browsers I use. That's okay. I just copy and paste the whole book into a Word Doc, which has a fantastic word counter. I have a Zoom tutorial on that somewhere, and when I find it I will post a link on our Word Count Wiki page.

You might like to post your link on that page, too.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

The first post has been updated with the 1928 novelettes and novellas!
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

flavo5000 wrote: January 7th, 2024, 12:20 pm The first post has been updated with the 1928 novelettes and novellas!
I don't know if you are paying attention to this, but it's the copyright date on the TOC that matters for magazines, not the issue date. For almost all magazines the issue date is when they come off the news stand and not their publication date. There usually is at least a month or so of lag.

Greg