The Balkanised Digital Economy

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Great Audible.

Even software, except for a few laggards, now allows purchases without restrictions; your buying country does not matter.

But in the digital product space if someone does not live in the US or Canada then you are treated like trash. Audible even has the cheek to direct me to another page with some marketing blather, never saying what percentage of its audio books are outside of my Antipodean dimension. Of course there are grey market options [NOT piracy] that I won't expand upon here.

Why does this madness exist? Before someone says "Amazon can't cope with other tax systems" they do ANYWAY; that is a cop out.

Will the digital economy ever grow up; I could buy a CRANE from the US. In fact, having a family member in the construction industry, I can tell you that countries often purchase cranes second hand from the US and ship them over. It's very common. I could buy a CRANE but not a freaking AUDIO BOOK! Needless to say, Audible will not get a cent of my cash.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I think it's because of the high shipping costs. (Wink.)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

But seriously, it's probably because of licensing restrictions.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

KevinS wrote: January 31st, 2022, 2:16 pm But seriously, it's probably because of licensing restrictions.
Nope. Why does it happen with independent publishers who are not using anything that needs royalties etc? It's a 1950's mindset from a publishing industry that needs to grow up.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No - it is from USA companies who want other countries' money but are not interested in having to do anything that might cost them anything - like Google books who just decide I can't read something because it's easier to just block me in case.
(this is not an anti USA remark, just a statement of fact)

Anne