[COMPLETED] THE STRANGEST THINGS IN THE WORLD - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
inararabbani

Post by inararabbani »

loon wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:42 am
inararabbani wrote: May 18th, 2022, 5:55 am
philchenevert wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 3:21 pm

You certainly may. :thumbs:
Here is section 39. The run time is 3:21. https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/thestrangestthingsintheworld_039_henry_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Your volume is just outside the LibriVox allowable range (too quiet). If you amplify your section by 3 dB and upload it again everything should be OK. Just post again here once it has been uploaded again.
I've reuploaded the file: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/thestrangestthingsintheworld_039_henry_128kb.mp3. Run time is the same as before. Thanks!
loon

Post by loon »

inararabbani wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 6:42 am I've reuploaded the file: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/thestrangestthingsintheworld_039_henry_128kb.mp3. Run time is the same as before. Thanks!
PL OK - the section volume is near the middle of the LibriVox range. Thank you.

The Strangest Things in the World is now 95% complete.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
juliaviolin

Post by juliaviolin »

philchenevert wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:13 pm
juliaviolin wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:01 pm Hello! May I have section 108: "Underworld Cities," please?
Julia
Hi Julia and a big welcome to LibriVox! :D I have assigned that section to you but before you record it, please make and upload a 1 minute test to be sure your recording set up is OK. Instructions can be found in our Wiki and in the first post of this project but Here is a video that may help too: How to Make your 1 minute test.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlaRY_-bcfs and then How to Upload your 1 minute test [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8Rdrx4COs]How to Upload your 1 minute test[/url]

I also recommend Getting To Know our Forums Getting To Know Our Forums

We just want to check out your technical specs. Don't forget to post the link either in this thread or in our Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here forum. And how would you like to be credited in our catalog? What name? most of us use our real name but it is up to you.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Here is the link to my test recording (I also posted it in the forum for test recordings): https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_juliaviolin.mp3
And the name I'd like to be credited is Julia Seaton :D
Thank you again!
Julia
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

juliaviolin wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 1:50 pm
philchenevert wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:13 pm
juliaviolin wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:01 pm Hello! May I have section 108: "Underworld Cities," please?
Julia
Hi Julia and a big welcome to LibriVox! :D I have assigned that section to you but before you record it, please make and upload a 1 minute test to be sure your recording set up is OK. Instructions can be found in our Wiki and in the first post of this project but Here is a video that may help too: How to Make your 1 minute test.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlaRY_-bcfs and then How to Upload your 1 minute test [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8Rdrx4COs]How to Upload your 1 minute test[/url]

I also recommend Getting To Know our Forums Getting To Know Our Forums

We just want to check out your technical specs. Don't forget to post the link either in this thread or in our Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here forum. And how would you like to be credited in our catalog? What name? most of us use our real name but it is up to you.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Here is the link to my test recording (I also posted it in the forum for test recordings): https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_juliaviolin.mp3
And the name I'd like to be credited is Julia Seaton :D
Thank you again!
Julia
Thanks Julia; your voice is very nice. But there your volume is low and bit rate needs correcting. See my response in the Test forum. Ask if anything is confusing.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
loon

Post by loon »

JimLawter wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:29 pm Hi - I'm interested in reading 88 Silk-Bearded Clams if it is still available. I have a question, though. The very first sentence seems to have an obvious typo, reading "silk-bearded dam". I know OCR programs (and people too!) sometimes mis-interpret what they see, and because "cl" could be mistaken for "d", I'm sure this was the case. If I may read this piece, is it okay to read the typo as "clam"?
I got word back from the proofreading team at Project Guetnberg this morning - they have changed the first line in the Silk-Bearded Clams section - it now reads
Jason’s golden fleece may have been woven from the beard of a silk-bearded clam.
So not only has @JimLawter read the section correctly, the fix has also made it back to the text versions online.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

:clap: That is great. First time I've seen this.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
JimLawter

Post by JimLawter »

loon wrote: June 5th, 2022, 10:00 am
JimLawter wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:29 pm Hi - I'm interested in reading 88 Silk-Bearded Clams if it is still available. I have a question, though. The very first sentence seems to have an obvious typo, reading "silk-bearded dam". I know OCR programs (and people too!) sometimes mis-interpret what they see, and because "cl" could be mistaken for "d", I'm sure this was the case. If I may read this piece, is it okay to read the typo as "clam"?
I got word back from the proofreading team at Project Guetnberg this morning - they have changed the first line in the Silk-Bearded Clams section - it now reads
Jason’s golden fleece may have been woven from the beard of a silk-bearded clam.
So not only has @JimLawter read the section correctly, the fix has also made it back to the text versions online.
Great news - we CAN make a difference! :clap:
JimLawter

Post by JimLawter »

philchenevert wrote: June 5th, 2022, 10:49 am :clap: That is great. First time I've seen this.
Score one for the readers! :clap: :thumbs:
LangeM

Post by LangeM »

LangeM wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:45 pm
philchenevert wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:34 pm
LangeM wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:32 pm Hi, I have sections 119 and 141. I've been pulled away by other demands and haven't completed them yet. If I can have an extension, I will deliver them by May 31st. If that is too late I understand. I'm sure someone else will jump at the chance.
No problem at all. You have until June 18 to complete. ( and more if needed) we need y our voice here!
Thank you so much! M
Hi Phil,
just wanted to keep you apprised of my progress. I finally got into the studio again yesterday and recorded Section 141. It went really well. Today I started editing it and have run into a snag. In both Adobe Audition and Audacity, the waveform seems to have been corrupted and runs in a loop of about 1 second in all files, even though there is no part of the waveform selected for loop. But, when I simply play the wav file in media player it plays fine. Some gremlins have decided I didn't need things to run smoothly apparently. I've exhausted all my ideas. Hopefully when I pick this up again on Monday, the glitch will be gone, or my partner will be able to fix it, or I'll re-record.

About section 119, looks like someone else grabbed it. Glad I noticed it before I recorded it. It's alright at this point.
Peas and Lovage
loon

Post by loon »

LangeM wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:25 pm
Hi Phil,
just wanted to keep you apprised of my progress. I finally got into the studio again yesterday and recorded Section 141. It went really well. Today I started editing it and have run into a snag. In both Adobe Audition and Audacity, the waveform seems to have been corrupted and runs in a loop of about 1 second in all files, even though there is no part of the waveform selected for loop. But, when I simply play the wav file in media player it plays fine. Some gremlins have decided I didn't need things to run smoothly apparently. I've exhausted all my ideas. Hopefully when I pick this up again on Monday, the glitch will be gone, or my partner will be able to fix it, or I'll re-record.

About section 119, looks like someone else grabbed it. Glad I noticed it before I recorded it. It's alright at this point.
Nothing leaps to my mind immediately - you could try posting questions to the 'The all-new "HELP! I have an Audicity problem" thread' in the 'Help, Discussion & Suggestions' section of the forums. It's at:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40238
LangeM

Post by LangeM »

loon wrote: June 9th, 2022, 6:15 pm
Hi Phil,

Nothing leaps to my mind immediately - you could try posting questions to the 'The all-new "HELP! I have an Audicity problem" thread' in the 'Help, Discussion & Suggestions' section of the forums. It's at:
Thank you for that suggestion. I'll be away from my computer for a few days, so maybe it will sort itself out by itself in the meantime. :hmm:
Peas and Lovage
redfalcon1009

Post by redfalcon1009 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/thestrangestthingsintheworld_117_henry_128kb.mp3 (1:58)
Section 117
philchenevert wrote: May 24th, 2022, 6:03 pm
redfalcon1009 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 5:54 pm Can I claim section 117?
Yep. That was the very last open section. Have fun.!
loon

Post by loon »

redfalcon1009 wrote: June 10th, 2022, 5:52 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/thestrangestthingsintheworld_117_henry_128kb.mp3 (1:58)
Section 117
philchenevert wrote: May 24th, 2022, 6:03 pm
redfalcon1009 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 5:54 pm Can I claim section 117?
Yep. That was the very last open section. Have fun.!
There is a missing sentence in the introduction. Between "please visit LibriVox dot org" and "The Shark That Stands Upright" you should say
The Strangest Things in the World: by Thomas Henry.
Also please be sure the silence at the beginning does not exceed 1 second. Cutting that silence down to one-half second would be just right.
LangeM

Post by LangeM »

Here is Section 141. I'm so glad I was able to finish this...it's been a while. Thanks for the extra time.
And hopefully, this file will be acceptable. I finished editing and exporting to MP3 in Audacity because my Adobe Audition seems to have lost it's dam mind :roll: M

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/thestrangestthingsintheworld_141_henry_128kb.mp3

Track Length
2:58.83
Peas and Lovage
LangeM

Post by LangeM »

LangeM wrote: June 9th, 2022, 7:05 pm
loon wrote: June 9th, 2022, 6:15 pm
Hi Phil,

Thank you for that suggestion. I'll be away from my computer for a few days, so maybe it will sort itself out by itself in the meantime. :hmm:
I was able to finish processing the .wav file using Audacity. My Audition program may be toast. Any time I use an effect or export to MP3, it distorts the file. So, I am glad to have had Audacity and the Help files to help me navigate the program. Hopefully, it worked. I put it through the Checker and it passed. :clap: M
Peas and Lovage