[COMPLETE] Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger: A Story of Frontier Reform, by Albert Bigelow Paine - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger: A Story of Frontier Reform, by Albert Bigelow Paine (1861 - 1937)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/captain-bill-mcdonald-texas-ranger-by-albert-bigelow-paine/
"William Jesse "Bill" McDonald (1852 - 1918) in the 1880s served as a deputy sheriff in Wood County. After moving to Hardeman County, he served as deputy sheriff, special Ranger, and U. S. Deputy Marshal of the Northern District of Texas and the Southern District of Kansas.. . . .In 1891 McDonald was selected to replace S. A. McMurry as Captain of Company B, Frontier Battalion. He served as a Ranger captain until 1907. Capt. McDonald and his company took part in a number of celebrated cases including the Fitzsimmons-Maher prize fight, the Wichita Falls bank robbery, the Reese-Townsend feud, and the Brownsville Raid of 1906. His handling of the troops of the 25th U.S. Infantry during this last incident made him known as "a man who would charge hell with a bucket of water." He had a reputation as a gunman that rested upon his his marksmanship, and his ability to use his weapons to intimidate his opponents. … In 1905, McDonald served as bodyguard to President Theodore Roosevelt. In 1907, Governor Campbell made him a state revenue agent. He again fulfilled the role of bodyguard in 1912 for a visit by Woodrow Wilson. Later Wilson appointed him U. S. Marshal for the Northern District of Texas." -- from Chapter 1
(Summary by Larry Wilson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/66849

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

CAUTION: Some of these chapters may contain racially offensive words which were part of the vocabulary of the time. They must be read as written, so please review the sections and do not select anything that you are not comfortable reading. These sections are marked with an asterisk in the notes field.

NOTE: Please DO read the subtitles for each chapter, omit picture captions, and read only footnotes indicated in the notes

Say:
"Chapter # of Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger: A Story of Frontier Reform. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger: A Story of Frontier Reform, by Albert Bigelow Paine. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger: A Story of Frontier Reform, by Albert Bigelow Paine."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: billmcdonald_##_paine_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. billmcdonald_01_paine_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by silverquill on January 3rd, 2022, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Well, I'll be a-tellin' ya, parder. You can just be a-takin' that-there tilde offen the title if youse be a-letten me DPL this hyar book.

Jim
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JHedrick wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 10:50 am Well, I'll be a-tellin' ya, parder. You can just be a-takin' that-there tilde offen the title if youse be a-letten me DPL this hyar book.

Jim
With Pleasure!
It is quite a tale.
Thank you.
~ Larry
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

And this one is set up, too. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you for setting this up, Tricia, and Jim for joining as DPL.

Ran out of time to add the word counts which have to wait until tonight, but we can still go to Readers Wanted.

I noticed the a previous volume we did on this topic, Six Years with the Texas Rangers was at the top of the YouTuve viewing channel last month! Maybe this one will also be well received.
~ Larry
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Hi Larry

3, 4 and 9 please
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

johnb2 wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 12:32 pm Hi Larry

3, 4 and 9 please
Thank you, John!
Assigned.
~ Larry
Roger

Post by Roger »

Could I sign up for 18 and 23? (although 23 is probably deserving of an asterisk)
Thanks!
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Roger wrote: January 6th, 2022, 10:07 am Could I sign up for 18 and 23? (although 23 is probably deserving of an asterisk)
Thanks!
I've put you in for these shorter sections.

I may have missed marking some chapters with my limited search.

Thank you!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

silverquill wrote: January 7th, 2022, 8:19 am Let's get started with the preface and chapter one, Ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/billmcdonald_00_paine_128kb.mp3 1:40
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/billmcdonald_01_paine_128kb.mp3 4:23
And we are off and running!

Just one small edit: please adjust your opening silence on section 0.

Section 1 is PL Okay
Jim in Ohio

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JHedrick wrote: January 7th, 2022, 10:54 am

Section 1 is PL Okay
Good grief! Can't believe I did that, but at least it is an easy fix.
Thanks for the good PL.
~ Larry
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

silverquill wrote: January 7th, 2022, 11:09 am
JHedrick wrote: January 7th, 2022, 10:54 am

Section 1 is PL Okay
Good grief! Can't believe I did that, but at least it is an easy fix.
Thanks for the good PL.
PL Okay now!

Thanks
Jim in Ohio

njgorgen

Post by njgorgen »

Can I have chaps 6 & 7? Nancy
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

njgorgen wrote: January 7th, 2022, 1:52 pm Can I have chaps 6 & 7? Nancy
You've got 'em!
Thank you
~ Larry