One Book a Week Club 2022

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Seven months in, five to go. I'm making good progress on reaching my goal, at least as far as numbers go. So far, I'm not doing very well at completing the categories for the reading challenge I took on for this year. I've been mostly following my own interests, as I tend to do, and some of the categories don't really call to me. But I'd better buckle down and find some things to fill them in with, if I want to finish.

viewtopic.php?p=1989417#p1989417
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

On February 3rd I wrote:

CURRENTLY READING/ LEYENDO: a) Reacher. Short stories (Lee Child) b) How Fascism Works ( J. Stanley) c) An essay on Liberation (Marcuse). The last one is a challenge. I want to see how much I can understand. El ultimo es un desafio. Quiero ver cuanto logro entender.

UPDATE

11) No Middle Name: The Complete Collected Jack Reacher Short Stories by Lee Child. It was a great way to finish my Jack Reacher reading spree.

12) How Fascism Works (J. Stanley). It was a real eye-opener for me.

An Essay on Liberation (Marcuse). This one was a total failure. :? I probably got to around page thirty. I realized I absolutely lacked any background to this. I kept feeling I had arrived late to the party. No clue at all! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Dulcamara wrote: August 1st, 2022, 2:07 pm On February 3rd I wrote:

CURRENTLY READING/ LEYENDO: a) Reacher. Short stories (Lee Child) b) How Fascism Works ( J. Stanley) c) An essay on Liberation (Marcuse). The last one is a challenge. I want to see how much I can understand. El ultimo es un desafio. Quiero ver cuanto logro entender.

UPDATE

11) No Middle Name: The Complete Collected Jack Reacher Short Stories by Lee Child. It was a great way to finish my Jack Reacher reading spree.

12) How Fascism Works (J. Stanley). It was a real eye-opener for me.

An Essay on Liberation (Marcuse). This one was a total failure. :? I probably got to around page thirty. I realized I absolutely lacked any background to this. I kept feeling I had arrived late to the party. No clue at all! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marcuse is impossible and probably overrated. He is a mishmash of theories and suppositions that sounded 'cool' in the 1960s. His defenders would say that I simply don't understand him. Darn right, I don't understand him!
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

:lol: :thumbs:
Jasna

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I read four books in June and just one in July.

"Madame Bovary" by Gustav Flaubert. LibriVox recording, beautifully read by "TheBanjo." Classic novel of a French wife, unsatisfied with her life. Excellent book. Great reading. It does not end happily.

"Exit Laughing" by Irvin S. Cobb. Ebook Autobiography of newspaper columnist and humorist Irvin S. Cobb. Entertaining, well written bio. He does ramble at times, but has a lot of interesting things to say.

"The Old Maids Club" by Israel Zangwell. Ebook. OK. Amusing in parts, contemporary during its time.

"The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" L. Frank Baum. LibriVox recording by Phil Chenevert. I don’t think I’ve ever read this book, so decided that now is the time. Very sweet, entertaining children’s adventures. More going on than in the movie, but the same basic story. Excellent reading by Phil. It’s obvious he enjoyed reading the book.

"A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman. Library audiobook download. Very good book. Touching and very humorous.

I started reading "The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell" as the reviews I'd seen on it were good. It never did appeal to me, but I got halfway through it before I went "meh" one last time and put it down.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

He disfrutado revisando estos tres libros añadidos recientemente al catálogo de Librivox:

Cuentos escogidos, de Guy de Maupassant, leído por Carlos Lombardi. Maupassant es un maestro en el arte de la narración corta. Estas historias son un verdadero regalo.

Las mil noches y una noche, volumen 4,
leído por Víctor Villarraza. Fue una sorpresa constatar que la verdadera historia de Las Mil y una noches no tiene nada que ver con la edulcorada versión infantil que conocemos. Muy interesante esta muestra de la literatura semita.

Peñas arriba, de José María de Pereda, leído por Epachuko. Una obra costumbrista que rescata la vida rural en la Cantabria antigua a través de una vívida descripción de personajes y costumbres. Llena de colorido y personajes queribles.
Jasna

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

My reading list for August.

"Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson. Kindle e-book. Excellent novel set in early 1950s Washington state about a Japanese-American WWII veteran accused of murdering another (white) WWII veteran. Made into a very good movie, although the movie could not go into the depths of the characters like the book did.
"Wyndom Case" by Jill Patton Walsh. BBC Radio Drama. Entertaining mystery
"Piece of Justice" by Jill Patton Walsh. BBC Radio Drama. Entertaining mystery
"The Great Riots of New York 1712 to 1873" J. T. Headley. E book. Non-fiction, fascinating and horrifying at times. Shows some things don’t change much. Found this on Gutenberg when I was looking for something to read for the LibriVox 17th anniversary. (Read the chapter on the Doctor Riots of 1788.)
"Short Stories of the Tragedies and Comedies of Life, Volume IV" by Guy De Maupassant Book from library book sale. Good.
"Mr. Finchley Goes to Paris" by Victor Canning. BBC Radio Drama. Good. Radio programs based on book characters from the 1930s. Fun and entertaining.
"Mr. Finchley Takes the Road" by Victor Canning. BBC Radio Drama. Good. Another radio program based on book characters from the 1930s. Fun and entertaining.
"The Franchise Affair" by Josephine Tey. BBC Radio Drama. Another entertaining mystery. Very well done.
"In The Time of The Butterflies" by Julia Alvarez. Book. Excellent fictionalization of the lives of the Mirabal sisters killed during a dictatorship of the Dominican Republic.

Listened to several BBC dramas this month. These are available through the archive.org site. A nice variety of items.

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

An update-actualización
:9:
The Madman´s Library, by Edward Brooke-Hitching
. As I am insanely fond of books, this gallery of curious volumes was a real treat. From cryptic books to literary hoaxes and pretty much everything in between, it is full of remarkable images and fascinating stories and facts. (If you are queasy you'll probably want to skip the chapter "Books made of flesh and blood".)

El Caso Leavenworth, de Anna Katharine Green
, leído para Librivox por Víctor Villarraza. Una historia de detectives clásica ambientada en la clase alta neoyorkina, y en la que la ambición, los sentimientos y la lealtad se enredan de tal manera que conforman un caso difícil de resolver Es la primera novela de esta autora y fue publicada en 1878. AK Green es considerada la creadora de la novela de detectives.
Jasna

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Haven't done a lot of reading this fall, so combined September and October.

September:

"The Escape of Mr. Trimm, His Plight and Other Plights" by Irvin S. Cobb. E book. Very good selection of short stories by Mr. Cobb. Known mostly for humorous writing, some of these are in the “horror” genre. The best known of that genre is “Fishhead” Excellent story, marvelous descriptions.

"The Rescue" by Joseph Conrad. LibriVox recording read by TheBanjo. Another excellent reading by Peter Dann. Some beautiful prose, but not Conrad’s best.

"The Feast of St. Friends" by Arnold Bennett. LibriVox recording by RuthieG (Ruth Golding). Wanted a short listen for an afternoon, so chose this book. Good reflection on the Christmas holiday, beautifully read by Ms. Golding

"A Little Dinner at Timmins’s" by William Makepeace Thackeray. Kindle e-book. Very entertaining story about a family who tries to come up in society. Excellent Thackeray satire.

October:

"Absalom’s Hair" by Bjorn Bjornstjerne. Ebook. Odd book by Norwegian writer about the relationship of a mother and son, following the demise of an older husband/father.

"The Women of Brewster Place" by Gloria Naylor. Paperback. Excellent novel telling the stories of several black women living in a rundown tenement. Book was made into a mini-series in the late 1980s.

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels: Titus Groan, Gormenghast, and Titus Alone. A unique blend of fantasy, gothic, and surreal written in an incredibly visual language. Five out of five, definitely!
I'm currently reading a fourth book, Titus Awakes, by Maeve Gilmore, his widow, based on a fragment that Peake managed to write while struggling with his illness. Also reading Ian Rankin's most recent Inspector Rebus novel, A Heart Full of Headstones.
Jasna

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

A list of the books I read in November. Enjoying December books now!

The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks. Library ebook. Excellent book about the biblical King David.

The Arrow of Gold by Joseph Conrad. LibriVox. Good book. Not my favorite Conrad novel, but a more realistic romance than “TheRescue.” Another excellent Peter Dann reading.

Sister Eve, Private Eye by Lynne Hinton. Book from library sale. In a bag of mystery books bought during the pandemic. OK novel. Good in parts, blah in others. Decent, lightweight read for in between better books.

Exempler by Ben and Max Ringham and Dan Rebellato. BBC Audio Drama modern-day thriller set in the north east of England, starring Gina McKee as a lone wolf audio forensic analyst. Nicely done series, entertaining.

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Mis disculpas por esta "Actualización" tan atrasada! :oops: Queria compartir estos titulos que tanto disfrute revisando en Librivox en 2022:

Cuando el Durmiente Despierta H. G. Wells

Los Mil y Un Fantasmas, Alexandre Dumas

Viaje a América, Vol 1 de 2, Rafael Puig y Valls

Viaje a América, Vol 2 de 2

La Germania, de T'acito

El Maravilloso Viaje de Nils Holgerson, de Selma Lagerloff

El Alimento de los Dioses H. G. Wells

Las Guerras Ibéricas Apiano Alejandrino (95-165) Trad. De Juan Schweigewser

Las Vidas Paralelas, Tomo IV, Lucio Mestrio Plutarco

El Prisionero de Zenda, Anthony Hope

Descubrimiento del Río de las Amazonas Gaspar de Carvajal (Fascinante, definitivamente! Fue la inspiracion para la pelicula "Aguirre, la ira de Dios" de Herzog.)

El Crimen de Orcival, Emile Gaborieau

Meditaciones, Marco Aurelio

La Máquina del Tiempo H. G. Wells

Narraciones Inquietantes 3

Meditaciones de un Vagon de ferrocarril, Eduardo Zamacois

Sorry about this belated update. The following list is a mix of books I read and books I PL'd in 2022:

Birth Control and the State C.P. Blacker ( a most strange book!)

Anecdotes of the Habits and Instincts of Animals by Mrs. Robert Lee (1791-1856) (It might hurt some 21st century sensibilities.)

Six Lyrics by Taras Shevchenko, also The Song of the Merchant Kalashnikov, by Mikhail Lermontov, translated by Ethel L. Voynich (I'm so grateful I discovered Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko through this Librivox project. Awesome.)

History of Ukraine: The historical evolution of the Ukrainia, by Prof. Michaelo Hrushevsky 1915, translated by George Raffalovich

Caliban´s War, James A. Corey

The Peregrin Falcon at the Eyrie, by Francis Heatherly

The Slough House thrillers, by Mick Herron:
Slow Horses; Dead Lions; Real Tigers; Spook Street; Joe Country; London Rules; The Drop; The Catch; Dolphin Junction; Smoke and Mirrors; Slow House; Bad Actors; Nobody Walks

The Irish Land Question, by Henry George (late 19th century view of the problem. Interesting!)

The Rookeries of London, byThomas Beames (mid 19th century report on the housing situation in London)

The Greening of America, Charles a. Reich. ( sounds hippyish nowadays but helps understand part of the thinking of the time)

Tanka, poems by Jun Fujita

Skylark Three by E.E. Smith

A rhizomatic edge-ucation : 'searching for the ideal school' through school tourism and performative autoethnographic-we
Author: Mendus, Alys Rose Banner Thesis (Ph D) 2017 University of Hull

Revelations of a Spirit Medium, by A. Medium (Debunking at its finest. This one was sooo much fun!) (but then I have a weird sense of humour...)

By the Marshes of Minas, Sir Charles G D Roberts Stories of the Acadians from Nova Scotia

The Salem Witchcraft, The Planchette Mystery and Modern Spiritualism Harriet Beecher Stowe ( I enjoyed this attempt to educate the public)
Jasna

adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Now this thought of 1 book a week is defunct? I happened to just stumble onto this & though I am not the one to get this thought in action again, would be great to keep this going as the link with years past shows that it indeed was a happening thought in the past. :clap:
April
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

It's still going: viewtopic.php?t=101034

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger