Dawn
Dawnsvoice

Post by Dawnsvoice »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Dawnsvoice wrote: March 13th, 2022, 5:02 pmHere is Alice, Act one (23:20):
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/alicesitbythefire_alice_01.mp3
thank you for this fast turn-around, Dawn. And your portrayal of Alice is quite endearing. She sounds quite clueless and trying to make the best of a situation that is rapidly getting too much for her. I am curious how she will develop in the second act ;)

A few small points to correct here:

> your DC bias is quite high – do you use Audacity ? You can easily remove the DC bias by going to Effects - Normalize - ticking the box Remove DC bias and pressing OK

> your background noise is also very high, I would use a round of noise-cleaning, under Effects - Noise Reduction (first get a sample of the noise, then run the cleaner)

> for the voice credit, please always use the full description as in the MW: "Mrs Grey, Alice, read by..."

> at 3:30: "They mustn’t think me over first or anything of that sort" – you say "they mustn't think of me over first, which sounds a bit strange

> at 23:12: "end of act 1" – this can get cut, it will be spoken by the narrator

thanks, excellent work for such a long act 8-)

Sonia
Dawnsvoice

Post by Dawnsvoice »

Dawnsvoice

Post by Dawnsvoice »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you again, the second act is also beautifully acted out. Alice is trying in vain to hide the truth from Robert :lol: what misunderstandings all around. Quite funny.

Act 1 is now Spot PL ok. Though I was wondering whether you did any noisecleaning, because the background noise is still very audible. :hmm: And if you open the file you can visually see the big noise-bar in between the speeches. Usually those lines should be nearly invisible. I will make a note for Todd in the MW.

Could you tell me how exactly you run noise-reduction on your program ? If it is Audacity that you are using, I can give you a step-by-step on how to do it.

PL notes for act 2:

> also here, please run a round or two of noise-cleaning

> at about 0:07: missed line: "All hating me."

> at 5:14: if you turned from her Robert – how I should love her then – you say "how should I love her then" as if it was a question, but it's a statement: how much she would love her despite the problems

> at about 6:26: missed line: "You forget, dear, that she has gone to bed."

thanks

Sonia
Dawnsvoice

Post by Dawnsvoice »

Here is Alice, act 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/alicesitbythefire_alice_02.mp3

I use noise reduction in audacity, however, I needed to change a number in their settings so let me know if it is working properly now.
Thanks Sonia
Dawnsvoice

Post by Dawnsvoice »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

May I have Fanny the maid? I WILL record it this time. :oops:
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Dawnsvoice wrote: March 15th, 2022, 12:54 pmHere is Alice, act 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/alicesitbythefire_alice_02.mp3
I use noise reduction in audacity, however, I needed to change a number in their settings so let me know if it is working properly now.

Here is Alice, act 3 (12:21)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/alicesitbythefire_alice_03.mp3
hmm the noise level in Act 2 is still unchanged, but in Act 3 you managed to get rid of it. I'll make a note for Todd to clean it once more before he edits. Act 2 is now PL ok.

A few PL notes for Act 3:

> at about 1:45: missed line: "Cosmo is waiting for you, Miss Dunbar, to see you home."
> at 5:07: "But you don't deny it." – this is Amy's line and can get cut
> at 11:05: "the most serious of women" – this is the narrator's line, can get cut

Ah, Alice is such a deviant schemer in the final act :? I'm not really sure I like her game here. It's unfair to Robert and also to Amy. One day the daughter must realize what was going on and then she will feel ashamed and angry that she was deceived.

Thanks

Sonia
Dawnsvoice

Post by Dawnsvoice »

Alice, act 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/alicesitbythefire_alice_03.mp3

Well, Alice did say she wanted to grow up together with Amy. Perhaps as Amy continues on to embrace her version of womanhood, Alice will develop more self-awareness and come into her own skin as a more mature woman.

Thanks, Dawn