SOLO [Irish] An Sgéaluidhe Gaedhealach by Dúbhglas de h-Íde - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

By heavens, Sonia, you are vigilant.

The first item is a plain old error. I'll cut the repeated phrase and reupload.

In item two, the editor was unfamiliar with the term that the storyteller used, and provided a more standardized form in parentheses. I deliberately keep the original form, as it is the usual form in that dialect.

In item three, the storyteller uses a word that the editor is unfamiliar with. The editor retains it, but provides an alternative in parentheses. I have asked around, but have not found this word, or any form of it, in any sources. For the sake of clarity I deliberately use the alternative form. The editor has introduced a misspelling into his alternative, however - it should be "bheith AG súil". . . and I silently correct that.

Brianeanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: May 17th, 2022, 8:02 amBy heavens, Sonia, you are vigilant.
it's the "dedicated" part of DPL :mrgreen:
In item two, the editor was unfamiliar with the term that the storyteller used, and provided a more standardized form in parentheses. I deliberately keep the original form, as it is the usual form in that dialect.

In item three, the storyteller uses a word that the editor is unfamiliar with. The editor retains it, but provides an alternative in parentheses. I have asked around, but have not found this word, or any form of it, in any sources. For the sake of clarity I deliberately use the alternative form. The editor has introduced a misspelling into his alternative, however - it should be "bheith AG súil". . . and I silently correct that.
yes I figured it was something like that, but I wanted to make sure it was not an oversight. So the words in bracket are always a sort of note/explanation/synonym of the word used in the text ? So yes, in that case you can choose to leave it out if it doesn't change the meaning of the text. I will not mention those anymore from now on.

Section 4 now PL ok

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Hi Sonia,

Regarding the parenthetical material, I will always choose the word or phrase that is most faithful to the dialect. In some cases, the storyteller's version will be the best one; in others, however, the editor's parenthetical emendation will be the best. These stories were collected from illiterate farm labourers who knew the stories by heart, but sometimes threw in an approximation when their memories failed them. In other cases, the school-educated editor may not have known dialect forms that are now well known. Now that this dialect (Connacht) is the dominant native dialect of Irish many terms that would have been unfamiliar to a formally educated editor are now clearer.

Chapter 5 now ready for PL.

Hope all's well.

Brianeanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: June 6th, 2022, 3:44 pmRegarding the parenthetical material, I will always choose the word or phrase that is most faithful to the dialect. In some cases, the storyteller's version will be the best one; in others, however, the editor's parenthetical emendation will be the best.
ok that makes sense, thanks for the clarification. So yes, if they are both conveying the same sense one can treat them as footnotes and just include one or the other.
Chapter 5 now ready for PL.
and chapter 5 is perfectly PL ok. :thumbs: I think I heard such a similar story in German already. The topics are often the same in folktales.

You forgot to update the MW with the length of the file, but I completed it now, all's well :)

thanks, and have a nice day still

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Hi Sonia.

Chapter 6 ("Carbad Cruaidh, Cos Luath, Iosgad Láidir agus Giolla gan súilibh") now ready for PL.

Brianeanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:thumbs: super and flawlessly narrated again. This section is also straight PL ok.

Have a good Sunday still, and thanks !

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Hi Sonia,

Part 7 now ready for PL. Please note that I have added "Cuid a hAon", "Cuid a Dó" ("Part One," "Part Two," etc.) to the four subsections, which are actually four discrete stories, and this might not otherwise be clear to the reader. That is the only alteration I have made.

Brianeanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: July 8th, 2022, 9:34 amPart 7 now ready for PL. Please note that I have added "Cuid a hAon", "Cuid a Dó" ("Part One," "Part Two," etc.) to the four subsections, which are actually four discrete stories, and this might not otherwise be clear to the reader. That is the only alteration I have made.
yes it's fine to make subtitles for these stories, no problem. Indeed it makes it clearer when a new story starts.

only one thing to add:

> at 0:18: you forgot the subtitle for the first story: "Cuid a hAon: Tomás Fuilteach de Burca agus tighearna an Chláir"

Tomas seems to have been a do-no-gooder. :roll:

I may need your expertise in the next few months...I am preparing to record a solo project about Morgan le Fay in the Arthurian stories and I think there are a few small excerpts in Irish as well...if I get to those parts, could I ask you to record it for me so I can copy the pronunciation accurately ? It won't be many sentences, don't worry. Most of it is Old French, Old German, Middle English or Italian and I'm ok with those languages.

Thanks for another cool story.

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Glad to help, Sonia. Just let me know. But I doubt there's any Irish in the text - it's much more likely to be Welsh.
Brianeanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: July 11th, 2022, 7:52 amI doubt there's any Irish in the text - it's much more likely to be Welsh.
there was some Welsh too, obviously, but but also some Irish: "Lebor (which I think is an old form for book "leabhar" if I'm not mistaken) na h-Uidre", another one is called "Aided Echach mheic Mhaireda", another one "Echtar Conla" and "Tochmarc Emire" ; then some terms "muir gheilt" and "murd hucha'n merrow" and then some proper names, which I also want to pronounce right: "king of the Tuatha dé Danann" and others. These seem Irish to me more than Welsh.

I'll let you know when I get there. I won't progress fast in this one, it's quite a challenging read.

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

You're right! That is Irish. But it's Old Irish (which I have studied!), and there is some disagreement among scholars about how to pronounce it.
When the time comes, I'll send you a recording of the various phrases, and I'll make it as standardized as possible.

A friend wants to give me a high quality microphone, and I need your advice. Should I use it for the rest of the Sgéaluidhe Gaedhealach recordings, or should I stick with the microphone that I've been using? I'm concerned that the difference between the sound quality of the already-recorded chapters and that of the remaining chapters will be too great.

Brianeanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: July 12th, 2022, 6:14 amYou're right! That is Irish. But it's Old Irish (which I have studied!), and there is some disagreement among scholars about how to pronounce it.
When the time comes, I'll send you a recording of the various phrases, and I'll make it as standardized as possible.
oh I see...well yes, for languages that are not spoken anymore, like Latin, Old English and here also Old Irish, I suppose there are different schools of pronunciations. It's fine, I only want to try my best to be not too far off the mark, so anything you suggest will be appreciated.
A friend wants to give me a high quality microphone, and I need your advice. Should I use it for the rest of the Sgéaluidhe Gaedhealach recordings, or should I stick with the microphone that I've been using? I'm concerned that the difference between the sound quality of the already-recorded chapters and that of the remaining chapters will be too great.
Since I think that the quality of your current microphone is already good, I don't think it will matter much. I would suggest, use the new one if you prefer that sound.

People might listen to selected stories only and those will not notice anyway. The only ones that might notice are those who listen to all in one go and then there "might" be a difference between this story and the next one...but this difference might only strike them as "odd" (if at all) for the first few sentences and then they will be used to the new sound till the end of the book. Don't worry about that.

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Hi Sonia,

I have added the title for part 1 of this chapter, and it's ready for spot PL.

Brianeanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: July 14th, 2022, 12:26 pmI have added the title for part 1 of this chapter, and it's ready for spot PL.
:thumbs: excellently added and now PL ok. Thanks

I sent you the Irish list via PM, you can see it in the upper right corner, in case you haven't used this function yet.

Have a good weekend

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Brian

I just sent you a PM with my Irish attempts for my solo, in case you have time to check them quickly.

thanks

Sonia