[HISTORY - LAWS] Tribal Custom in Anglo-Saxon Law by Frederic Seebohm - jo

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

Cbteddy wrote: October 14th, 2023, 4:17 pm May I please have 23 and 24?
Hello, I did not see this before, I apologize. I will get these assigned to you. Thank you.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is section 23 (18:49). I did my best with the Scottish (Gaelic?) and Latin pronunciations.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/tribalcustom_23_seebohm_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is Chapter 24 (32:02). I found this chapter VERY tough, and did my best with the Latin, Norman French, and Scottish English passages.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/tribalcustom_24_seebohm_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

May I have all of Chapter 14 (Sections 32-35)?
progressingamerica

MrsHand wrote: November 26th, 2023, 4:52 pm May I have all of Chapter 14 (Sections 32-35)?
They are assigned to you, thank you for volunteering for those.
sati

Post by sati »

Hi,
I want to inform everyone that I'm stepping aside from DPL'ing to focus on other commitments. I apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you. I believe someone else can step up to carry it forward successfully.

~sati
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Thanks for letting us know, sati. I've removed you a DPL from this project.
Jo
Blodwyn

Post by Blodwyn »

Hey, I'm brand new here but would like to have a go at PL'ing chapter 14 if I could?
progressingamerica

Blodwyn wrote: December 11th, 2023, 3:31 pm Hey, I'm brand new here but would like to have a go at PL'ing chapter 14 if I could?
You are welcome to PL those files once they arrive. Welcome to LV!
Blodwyn

Post by Blodwyn »

progressingamerica wrote: December 11th, 2023, 11:17 pm
Blodwyn wrote: December 11th, 2023, 3:31 pm Hey, I'm brand new here but would like to have a go at PL'ing chapter 14 if I could?
You are welcome to PL those files once they arrive. Welcome to LV!
Sorry, I actually meant Chapter 9 (section 23 and 24) but was on my phone and couldn't double-check!
progressingamerica

Blodwyn wrote: December 12th, 2023, 4:44 am Sorry, I actually meant Chapter 9 (section 23 and 24) but was on my phone and couldn't double-check!
Not a problem, you can begin at your convenience. thank you.
Blodwyn

Post by Blodwyn »

Cbteddy wrote: November 14th, 2023, 4:47 pm Hello! Here is section 23 (18:49). I did my best with the Scottish (Gaelic?) and Latin pronunciations.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/tribalcustom_23_seebohm_128kb.mp3
You did a great job with the Scots Gaelic and Latin pronunciation (I think). I did notice what I thought might be some missteps with the Latin, but I'm not well versed in it so I can't say decisively whether they were correct or not.

Sorry this is a bit long, there's nowhere near as much as I have made it look, and most of them relate to the same things! I'm still getting the hang of this forum so apologies for any faux pas, and feel free to correct me / tell me off!

I've listened through to Section 23 (https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/tribalcustom_23_seebohm_128kb.mp3) and have a couple of comments relating to pronunciation (specifically of names rather than regional pronunciation) and the reading of abbreviations, where previously in the thread there was discussion about saying the full phrase (i.e. wheat-grains rather than w.g.) instead of just reading the abbreviation.
vviera wrote: December 29th, 2021, 8:53 am
jakemalizia wrote: December 29th, 2021, 1:41 am
Great - I don't actually have anything to change :D

There was only 1 question I had - are we saying the letters "w.g." instead of "wheat-grains"? I wasn't sure if the listener would instantly know what "w.g." was ... maybe we could say something like "w.g., that is 'wheat-grains" ... I don't know. Just something for the first instance to make it clear that all "w.g."s thereafter are wheat-grains. What do you think?

I'll mark it PL ok for now, and if you decide to add anything, just let me know where to spot PL it.
Oh, I definitely think we should say "wheat grains" throughout rather than the abbreviation. We hadn't figured it out yet when I read that, and I just didn't think about it during the edit. Fortunately, it's just that one short spot. I'll change it and let you know.
This is my first one, so let me know if I should bring these up with the BC elsewhere as I know we're not supposed to mention pronunciations, however, I thought as these were proper nouns we would be better sticking to the accepted pronunciations.

0:43 and onwards - Pronunciation of Cymric, should be CUM-ric rather than SIM-ric. I am Welsh (Cymraeg) so this pronunciation is particularly important to me!

4:29 - “XIV. Of the law…” - You read XXXIV as twenty four rather than thirty four

5:37 - “From an ochtyern, 15 sheep or 6s.” - Based on the previous thread about abbreviations, the s should be read as shillings.

6:44 - “By the law of man for the life of a man ixˣˣ” - I’m unsure about this one and whether the superscript xx should be read? It’s currently left out of the narration.

8:23 - “He concluded that the payment was 180 cows from the reading ‘ixˣˣ cows,’ ” - As above. Should the superscript xx be read? It’s currently left out of the narration.

13:14 - “It begins by stating…” - I think there was a slip here where you’ve said sating instead of stating.

13:50 - “shillings and ‘rectum servientis’ 6d.” - The d should (confusingly) be read as pennies

16:26 - “This is shown by a law, probably of Cnut’s” - Cnut is pronounced with a hard C, like CAN-oot or CAN-ute

18:20 - “...two solidi of sterlings (24d. of 32 wheat-grains)...” - The d should be read as pennies

I'm a fluent Welsh speaker, so let me know if you need any help with Welsh pronunciations in these chapters or elsewhere!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Blodwyn wrote: December 13th, 2023, 5:08 am
Cbteddy wrote: November 14th, 2023, 4:47 pm Hello! Here is section 23 (18:49). I did my best with the Scottish (Gaelic?) and Latin pronunciations.

You did a great job with the Scots Gaelic and Latin pronunciation (I think). I did notice what I thought might be some missteps with the Latin, but I'm not well versed in it so I can't say decisively whether they were correct or not.

Sorry this is a bit long, there's nowhere near as much as I have made it look, and most of them relate to the same things! I'm still getting the hang of this forum so apologies for any faux pas, and feel free to correct me / tell me off!

I've listened through to Section 23 (https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/tribalcustom_23_seebohm_128kb.mp3) and have a couple of comments relating to pronunciation (specifically of names rather than regional pronunciation) and the reading of abbreviations, where previously in the thread there was discussion about saying the full phrase (i.e. wheat-grains rather than w.g.) instead of just reading the abbreviation.
vviera wrote: December 29th, 2021, 8:53 am
jakemalizia wrote: December 29th, 2021, 1:41 am
Great - I don't actually have anything to change :D

There was only 1 question I had - are we saying the letters "w.g." instead of "wheat-grains"? I wasn't sure if the listener would instantly know what "w.g." was ... maybe we could say something like "w.g., that is 'wheat-grains" ... I don't know. Just something for the first instance to make it clear that all "w.g."s thereafter are wheat-grains. What do you think?

I'll mark it PL ok for now, and if you decide to add anything, just let me know where to spot PL it.
Oh, I definitely think we should say "wheat grains" throughout rather than the abbreviation. We hadn't figured it out yet when I read that, and I just didn't think about it during the edit. Fortunately, it's just that one short spot. I'll change it and let you know.
This is my first one, so let me know if I should bring these up with the BC elsewhere as I know we're not supposed to mention pronunciations, however, I thought as these were proper nouns we would be better sticking to the accepted pronunciations.

0:43 and onwards - Pronunciation of Cymric, should be CUM-ric rather than SIM-ric. I am Welsh (Cymraeg) so this pronunciation is particularly important to me!

4:29 - “XIV. Of the law…” - You read XXXIV as twenty four rather than thirty four

5:37 - “From an ochtyern, 15 sheep or 6s.” - Based on the previous thread about abbreviations, the s should be read as shillings.

6:44 - “By the law of man for the life of a man ixˣˣ” - I’m unsure about this one and whether the superscript xx should be read? It’s currently left out of the narration.

8:23 - “He concluded that the payment was 180 cows from the reading ‘ixˣˣ cows,’ ” - As above. Should the superscript xx be read? It’s currently left out of the narration.

13:14 - “It begins by stating…” - I think there was a slip here where you’ve said sating instead of stating.

13:50 - “shillings and ‘rectum servientis’ 6d.” - The d should (confusingly) be read as pennies

16:26 - “This is shown by a law, probably of Cnut’s” - Cnut is pronounced with a hard C, like CAN-oot or CAN-ute

18:20 - “...two solidi of sterlings (24d. of 32 wheat-grains)...” - The d should be read as pennies

I'm a fluent Welsh speaker, so let me know if you need any help with Welsh pronunciations in these chapters or elsewhere!
Hi there! Thanks so much for the feedback. You did a great job of providing feedback in a constructive manner! I'm relatively newer myself and just recently started DPLing, so I get the worry about being too critical.

Good catch with the abbreviations of the money. I don't always go back and read past forum notes, so I'll be sure to go through and update the sections you've pointed out.

I'll also update the pronunciations you've pointed out as well. Great catch. I'm sure there are other mispronunciations, but we reach a point where we just do our best with them, and standard PL doesn't require the fix unless it's completely indecipherable.

I'll get this file updated within the next day or so and will re-upload any changes. Typically the BC will update the MW and mark the file as ready for spot PL, which is how the PL would know that the file is ready for spot checking around the times they requested changes. Since you're just starting out, you may not have access to changing statuses or anything yet, but you'll see any posts in the thread about any updates.

Great job, and happy to answer any questions about PLing if you have them :)
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is the updated changes for Section 23 based on Blodwyn's feedback a few days ago. Timing has increased by one second to 18:51.

Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »