Let's Talk about Chickens!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Hello. THIS IS WHERE WE DISCUSS CHICKENS!

Ok, let me lighten the mood.

This topic is a place for positive input only. Please no negative comments concerning poultry. If you're worried about your chickens being mean, not wanting you to touch them, reduced egg laying, any problems that might stop you from enjoying your egg-cellent layers to the full, feel free to ask. (I have personally hand raised many different types of chickens, and tamed wild ones, (not feral, but approaching on it :lol: :lol: )

Ciao!

Ella
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Tip 1: Don't let your hens get bored.

Hens will become restless unless amused. (I don't mean you should constantly play with them, but if you notice your hens getting fidgety, you can hang a cabbage from the roof.) you can also get bagged pellet snacks, scratch treat, or even a flock block (a block of seeds solidified with molasses)
Ella
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Why did the Chickens go to The Colossus of Rhodes?
To ask Chares of Lindos to never become Charred Chicken of Lindos.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

A box without hinges, key, or lid,
yet golden treasure inside is hid.

What is it?

(An egg)
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

[quote=lightcrystal post_id=1983813 time=1639764298 user_id=132746]
Why did the Chickens go to The Colossus of Rhodes?
To ask Chares of Lindos to never become Charred Chicken of Lindos.
[/quote]

Good one!
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Hands up, anyone who has chickens!
Ella
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I've never had chickens.

But my neighbour has. He surrounded the chicken run with barbed wire like Fort Knox. Somehow a fox still got in and had more chickens than he could eat. So the fox started to bury his killed chickens in my yard. My neighbour saw the fox once on the street; the fox just stared right back like saying "thanks for the dinner". My neighbour said that if he had a shotgun in his hand, kaboom to the Fox.
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

My thoughts exactly. Except I say kaboom to the weasel. I had ten chickens, and then this weasel comes along and decides to bite the heads off three of them. I repeat, Kaboom to the weasel. (I have a lot more now, but still.)
Ella
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I read a book about chickens (and a bunch of other animals) recently. The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin. It won't be public domain for about 70 years, as the author just died a few months ago.
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Interesting. the 70 year copyright explains why Redwall won't be in the public domain either, because Brian Jacques died 11 years ago.
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Tip 2:

Nest filling: I use hay, but you can use straw, fresh grass, wheat stalks, or even cedar chips.
Ella
zachh

Post by zachh »

We've had chickens here for the last 20 years and I have always enjoyed watching them and the silly things they do. We've never had more than 12 at a time, and currently we're down to only 6 left. The way they move their heads every few seconds while maintaining eye contact reminds me of TV news anchors. A few years ago I got tired of carving scrolls on the end of violin necks and started carving chicken heads instead, they are less work to carve and much more fun.
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

EllaTandilyan wrote: December 18th, 2021, 5:53 am Interesting. the 70 year copyright explains why Redwall won't be in the public domain either, because Brian Jacques died 11 years ago.
I utterly loved the Redwall series. It had such a calming effect.
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.