List of Unrecorded Horror, Ghost Stories and Weird Tales: Short Story Collections

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: March 31st, 2022, 5:52 am We just do not use Wikisource for anything that is not automatically PD - we need anything that is relying on failure to renew to be checked by someone we trust. So please do not list Wikisource texts as suggestions.

Anne
The wikisource chart is still valuable as an index of all the stories and authors over the life of Weird Tales magazine. From there, how can we certify PD status? Whom do we trust? Spell out the procedure and I'll do some checking, beginning with the Whitehead project I mentioned above.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Francis Marion Crawford is well represented on LV, so he shouldn't go on your list, right? Per your OP, you are just listing titles "that haven't been tackled yet." Again, that is a heaping pile of research you are doing, Ben. It's almost . . . . . supernatural! :shock:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: March 31st, 2022, 7:15 am Francis Marion Crawford is well represented on LV, so he shouldn't go on your list, right? Per your OP, you are just listing titles "that haven't been tackled yet." Again, that is a heaping pile of research you are doing, Ben. It's almost . . . . . supernatural! :shock:
Yea, from what I could see, there weren't any F. Marion Crawford collections that haven't been recorded. There could potentially be a stray story that hasn't been that wasn't in Wandering Ghosts. I haven't looked into that specifically.

And yes, the idea is that none of these have been recorded in this specific form. Some of the stories in some of these collections have definitely been recorded. For instance most of the stories in Rudyard Kipling's The Phantom Rickshaw and other stories has been recorded separately or in a Ghost & Horror Collection, but they haven't been recorded in this collected form.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I've updated the OP with quite a few additional authors. Every time I think I've found them all, I unearth even more!
msfry

Post by msfry »

flavo5000 wrote: April 12th, 2022, 1:16 pm I've updated the OP with quite a few additional authors. Every time I think I've found them all, I unearth even more!
What is this "unearthing" process. I am picturing a grizzled, determined, overalled fellow with straw hat, gloves, knapsack, pick and shovel, combing through the high recesses and caves, or in dismal swamps, for hidden/sunken treasures. Care to share?
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: April 12th, 2022, 1:28 pm
flavo5000 wrote: April 12th, 2022, 1:16 pm I've updated the OP with quite a few additional authors. Every time I think I've found them all, I unearth even more!
What is this "unearthing" process. I am picturing a grizzled, determined, overalled fellow with straw hat, gloves, knapsack, pick and shovel, combing through the high recesses and caves, or in dismal swamps, for hidden/sunken treasures. Care to share?
It's pretty random. Sometimes I go through anthologies looking for stories released before 1927 and then looking up those authors and seeing what else they've released. Sometimes I just browse around for "best horror fiction lists" looking for older entries. Like a previous update came from going through the Stephen Jones/Kim Newman Best 100 Horror book appendix where they added an extensive "Further Reading" section. This most recent bunch originated from a blog post that Dark Worlds Quarterly manages where they've sought to compile all the PD horror stories they could find, and there were quite a few missing from the two threads here.

Oh and isfdb.org is a super useful resource for helping look up additional works by authors and such.
msfry

Post by msfry »

flavo5000 wrote: April 12th, 2022, 1:38 pm Sometimes I go through anthologies . . . . .
The Sci Fi community is a pretty active group! Lot of interest in the genre. Not sure why . . . real life is so inexplicable and unpredictable already. :twisted:
:D
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I also just added several more Algernon Blackwood novels. Most of them are more fantasy than horror but still loosely fits in the "weird" category.
msfry

Post by msfry »

So Ben, when you are sitting around with nothing to do, how about putting the Op in alphabetical order? Or, someone could do that for you. Hmmm. I wonder who might want to do that. :hmm:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: April 14th, 2022, 12:31 pm So Ben, when you are sitting around with nothing to do, how about putting the Op in alphabetical order? Or, someone could do that for you. Hmmm. I wonder who might want to do that. :hmm:
Each section should be in alphabetic order by author and then the works of each author are sorted chronologically.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Stumbled across this earlier while looking for something else, and it looks like it would make a fine addition to this list. https://archive.org/details/cu31924027760077
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
msfry

Post by msfry »

flavo5000 wrote: April 14th, 2022, 1:23 pm Each section should be in alphabetic order by author and then the works of each author are sorted chronologically.
I just look for titles. But I guess it's not too hard to scan through the stories under an author's name, if the authors are in alphabetical order.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

ChuckW wrote: April 16th, 2022, 6:29 am Stumbled across this earlier while looking for something else, and it looks like it would make a fine addition to this list. https://archive.org/details/cu31924027760077
Cool! I just added it to the Various section.