COMPLETE PLAY: A Mystery Play in Honor of the Nativity of Our Lord by Robert Hugh Benson-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 6th, 2024, 12:01 pm Working on Scene 5, I'm missing

- Narrator's intro, as before:
"Scene 5 of A Mystery Play in Honor of the Nativity of Our Lord. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. A Mystery Play in Honor of the Nativity of Our Lord, by Robert Hugh Benson. Scene 5"
- the narrator's phrase, Elijah pointed out above: @ about 7:04 Mid sentence, there was a missed line "Gaspar turns to tray,"
Ah, sorry about that. I'll get those intros for 4 and 5 done and the missing line.
Probably not tonight after celebrating another birthday with the family and a full day tomorrow.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Okay here's the last scene for Abel, sorry it took so long but hard to get stuff recorded over the holidays. Also in this scene there's a part where he has a book he reads from and points to, I actually physically picked up a book and recorded like some page turning sounds in between the lines. For the pointing to section part I also have three different takes, one silent and two with different amounts of book activity because it sounded kind of weird with silence to me. Not sure if any of that is any use but there's options for the editor to use or leave whatever they think sounds best.

5: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mysteryplay_abel_5.mp3 (3 min, 11 secs)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 6th, 2024, 7:03 pm I certainly wouldn't want to complicate it further; this project is complicated enough as it is! But it's not my decision to make, I think MaryAnn is acting BC, and we can wait for her counsel :thumbs:
Unfortunately, PD in the US is based on publication date, not the death of the author/composer.

It's confusing ... this link indicates that Bates used this as a Christmas card in 1937: https://abbiebetinis.com/writings_burtcarols.html Even if that counted as "published" for copyright purposes, it would be too recent for a clear PD determination (the current cut off in the US is published before 1927). So, assuming Bates use as a Christmas card counts as "published", then at best, it's confusing what year this particular card was sent.

So I think we are better off using the melody from the book over at CCEL that rapunzelina linked to because we know for sure it's PD. No need to add extra lines of text that might be in the CCEL version, and try to use the CCEL melody as best you can to sing the text in our play. Slight variations to make it fit the words are just fine.

It would have been so much easier if the author of this play had included sheet music in his book! How anyone figured this out to stage the play when this was first published is beyond me ... but by the time we are finished, it will be a lovely little PD work that folks can enjoy (and maybe even stage themselves)!

MaryAnn
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is Scene 5 for Balthazar with the missed line added:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mysteryplay_balthazarwethreekings_5.mp3

My apologies for the oversight!

Take care,

Greg
WinterMoon

Post by WinterMoon »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 4th, 2024, 9:58 pm
WinterMoon wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 3:49 pm Ill claim and narrate the Preface and Prologue if that is not a placeholder.

:)
Indeed it's a placeholder. I have that edited and almost ready, only thing missing to complete it is the dramatis personae which I slowly add to as I edit each scene. :thumbs:

Thanks for letting me know!
~Christine~

Remember: "Even a glow stick had to break to shine."
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

GregGiordano wrote: January 7th, 2024, 8:15 pm Here is Scene 5 for Balthazar with the missed line added:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mysteryplay_balthazarwethreekings_5.mp3

My apologies for the oversight!

Take care,

Greg
In case this was overlooked, I am just reposting! 😀

Thank you!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Greg! And Magic Window updated with PL OK, sorry for the wait!
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Hey I just wondered if my act 5 submission has been missed because it still isn't in the MW even though things posted after mine has been added?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Inkell! I'm not the BC but I can update the Magic Window! Your file is added! :thumbs:
When I work on Act 5 again, I'll post any notes then.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 11th, 2024, 9:54 am Thank you, Greg! And Magic Window updated with PL OK, sorry for the wait!
Thank you! I did not want my little file to be the hold up for the completion of this project!

Take care,

Greg
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 11th, 2024, 10:40 am Hi Inkell! I'm not the BC but I can update the Magic Window! Your file is added! :thumbs:
When I work on Act 5 again, I'll post any notes then.
Thank you Repunzelina!

And my apologies for missing this Inkell!

MaryAnn
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I've just uploaded section 0 and entered it into the Magic Window: Preface, Dramatis Personae, and Prologue!
GillH

Post by GillH »

I'll try to get the Angels' Song recorded this weekend.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Gill! :9:

And I have just uploaded scene 5, in the MW

(which means Abel and Narrator are PL OK)