Can an Audiobook help me in Learning a Language Completely or Mostly unknown to me?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Can listening to an Audiobook prove to be helpful for me in learning a language?Or will I be rather just an idiot,wasting hours without understanding even a bit of what is being read?
What would be the outcome in these two cases:
1)The Language Is Completely Foreign To Me.
2)I Know Only Bits And Bytes Of The Language.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

Put it this way, it will not make you any dumber.

It will train your ears to hear the words in that language better, and you'd pick up some better pronunciation.

It is going to help you, though of course you'll need more than just that. Videos, movies, even music videos are a help, you learn your a'b'c's with a tune to them, so finding a genre that you like in your target language will enable you to pick up both words and phrases. Slow going however.

Best is to find any kind of group or community within your own community or within commuting distance so that you can learn to say hello, then how are you, then other small meaningful things with the opportunity to practice on a regular basis. This will teach you a new language for sure and certain.

Out of what you will learn and how, 70% perhaps is from people you meet, and 5% audiobooks, 25% video / movies.

From movies and videos, you match your situations to the expressions. Like expressions of joy and surprise. Easy to capture into your memory from a movie.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

GettingTooOld wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 5:42 am Put it this way, it will not make you any dumber.

It will train your ears to hear the words in that language better, and you'd pick up some better pronunciation.

It is going to help you, though of course you'll need more than just that. Videos, movies, even music videos are a help, you learn your a'b'c's with a tune to them, so finding a genre that you like in your target language will enable you to pick up both words and phrases. Slow going however.

Best is to find any kind of group or community within your own community or within commuting distance so that you can learn to say hello, then how are you, then other small meaningful things with the opportunity to practice on a regular basis. This will teach you a new language for sure and certain.

Out of what you will learn and how, 70% perhaps is from people you meet, and 5% audiobooks, 25% video / movies.

From movies and videos, you match your situations to the expressions. Like expressions of joy and surprise. Easy to capture into your memory from a movie.
Thank You for the helpful words Sir. :)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I would have thought that listening to the audiobook while reading the corresponding text would be best. That way, you would be linking the sounds to the written words in front of you. You could perhaps try to speak what you hear (initially, just the occasional word, but eventually, phrase by phrase).

You'd probably do that in conjunction with a more formal training ... grammar, vocabulary and so on ... but the audiobook exercise would tune your mind to the sounds associated with the language.

You might have to be a little cautious in choosing your audiobook reader, as dialects or non-natural-speakers of the language could cause problems which would need to be sorted out later.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

Peter Why wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:44 pm You might have to be a little cautious in choosing your audiobook reader, as dialects or non-natural-speakers of the language could cause problems which would need to be sorted out later.
very much agree here with Peter, you need native speakers in order to learn any language properly. Always another rule too, more speakers you listen to, the better.