Zoom LibriVox Chit Chat - This Friday!(Oct22)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Sure Mary. I plan to have them on a regular basis actually, like once a month starting in November so it will be fun! :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: November 4th, 2021, 8:47 pm Reading is not my strong point, so I tend to stick to short non-fiction. A couple of months ago I picked a short piece, thinking it would be easy. By the time I got to the second sentence, I had stumbled over half the words.

I've often referred new readers to Mark's Zoom video on narrating and review it myself when I've been stumbling over words. Gosh, I guess that's any time I record something! :) .
I don't do this myself, but it might help if you would read each sentence a few times before recording it. I do generally hit pause when stumble across a tongue twister, say it several times until I get it right, then un-pause, record it, and continue on. Also, getting the inflection right the first time can be tricky (more with some authors than with others), because who knows where a sentence is actually going until you get to the end of it.

Folding these and other practices into your recording expectations could reduce frustration and help you continue narrating. One thing for sure, the finished product takes a lot of work!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

msfry wrote: November 5th, 2021, 11:31 am :D

…. Also, getting the inflection right the first time can be tricky (more with some authors than with others), because who knows where a sentence is actually going until you get to the end of it.

Folding these and other practices into your recording expectations could reduce frustration and help you continue narrating. One thing for sure, the finished product takes a lot of work!
Good advice, Michelle. Especially about the inflection. A few years ago I helped finish a mystery book that was not very well written. When I read one passage supposedly explaining the criminal’s motive, I got to the end of a badly written paragraph and went “What the ****?!” Obviously, I cut that part out. :D
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚