Limited-letter story game

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

WOW !!!
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Ok, last one, I can hear my brain protesting! :lol:
Inspired by one of Gill's dialogue stories. I wrote most of it with 'chicken' before I got stuck, then remembered there was no 'k'! But that ended up working out well.

-UNCOPYRIGHTABLE-

N: Go to the city, Bernie!

B: I better not go Nancy, I recall I ought to be beneath a ban. :oops:

N: Ban!? Tell no-one here that terrible thing!
...ban... :hmm: The trigger to that action, then?

B: Near enough I can tell, the people there hate poultry.

N: Poultry? They ban you per their hate to poultry? :roll: You lie to conceal the truth, that cannot be it!

B: No, I tell you truly, they hate poultry a lot. The tragic tale, they tell to all near: about a barn-coop pigeon, though a thin one. It ate the granary content, clear gone in a night!
It got a lot bigger, but later it got thin again. :(

N: You cotton-ear, that cannot be true, a pigeon cannot eat all that! Too, they tell about a pigeon, not poultry!
Though perchance a barn-coop one can count... :hmm: ...but then, the ban on poultry, can that concern you? You are not a pigeon, you lout!

B: But I can be one pigeon type! Not certain, but angry people call out that I ought to tell by one clue.
:idea: The people tell you the clue too, right?
They tell you I perch on a tall chair, to tattle on a neighbor?

Title: _tool Pigeon
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

That´s brilliant! :D
Jasna

GillH

Post by GillH »

redrun wrote: September 11th, 2022, 11:40 am
They tell you I perch on a tall chair, to tattle on a neighbor?

Title: _tool Pigeon
:clap: :lol:
Keep taking the tablets!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

After deciding not to write another story, my brain automatically started a harder task by adapting other things to this letter scheme, and naturally, the parrot was the place to start. I'm now quite practiced at it. I figured I could suff- err, enjoy this myself, or share with others, so here I am. I'll go back to originals instead of adapting, if I must do one or the other.

It might also be time for a new word. ...and yes, I've posted on "You might be addicted to Librivox if..." :wink:

Quite a bit of poetic license is taken, but I feel like I understand the second subject much better, after studying it for "conversion" in this way.
Edit: some corrections made. Those sneaky 'd' and 'f' letters!

-UNCOPYRIGHTABLE-

PERCEPTION: the countertop in a pet-retail place
Enter a gent carrying a cage, containing a parrot on a perch

"The parrot I bought here be not napping,
That be a late parrot,
It hath gone to be near the creator,
It breathe no longer,
It be brittle an' not healthy,
Place it in the earth, an' it put the pretty petal plant at a higher point,
It be a parrot no longer!
Either you place it on the perch by a nail, or it be reclining beneath!"

TITLE: Late Parrot Routine, by a certain Python troupe

---

CHANGE PERCEPTION: Pan to the earlier gent, in tall hat, tail-coat; in the big city, reclining on a bench in the center car-lane.

In blithely ignorant intonation: "Anon, a thing entirely apart."

---

CHANGE PERCEPTION: A gent in noble attire, cape, tight legging; pacing in the clear night air.

To be, or not to be, that be the topic!
Be it a nobler thought to bear the careening pebble an' barb that angering, tragic chance launch;
Or to carry lance unto a troubling ocean, an' by the charge, halt thy toil, to the burial, to nap not again -
By "nap", to declare: "Continue no longer the heart-ache, an' the ten-century-count natural hurt that the earthly being be heir to"?

'T be a pinnacle greatly to hope unto: to lie in burial, to nap,
To nap, perchance to hallucinate in the night; aye, there be the rub:
In that nap unto burial, can anyone tell the hallucination that can appear,
Upon our 'parting the tangible plane? That ought to halt our action a little.

There be the concern that lengthen the tragic hour:
Can anyone bear the cutting an' taunting o' the hour that run by,
The ill act o' the tyrant, the cruel thought o' the "noble" gent,
The pang o' courting a beau to no return,
The lagging application o' the proper rule,
The outrage o' authority, an' the haughty laugh,
That the patient principle o' th'people bear currently,
In the hour that he, all alone, can halt it all, by only a bare pointy thing?

Can anyone bear a large bag, to grunt, getting hot beneath a tiring lot here on earth,
But that the horror o' a thing later than burial (that country not on a chart, that goal that no-one - in reaching - return hence),
Trouble the heart, an' trigger all people to rather bear the ill that be here, than go to another ill that none nearby can tell?

By that, a thought about the error in their heart can get all people to run in terror,
By that, too, the original hue o' preparation turn an ill color in the pale light o' concern,
Too, any action plan to great pitch an' honor, in that, change their current to another route, an' no longer they be "action".
But gently - here be the pretty Ophelia!
Natural, pure girl, in thy prayer,
Recall the error in the heart I bear

TITLE: Perchance to Hallucinate in the Night

CUT

---

Never, ever coming from me, no matter what set of letters we do next: Spam, Spam, Spam, Hamlet, and Spam
Last edited by redrun on September 14th, 2022, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Simply amazing!
Jasna

GillH

Post by GillH »

:lol: :clap: :lol: :clap: :lol:
Calling the white van with square wheels.........
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Ah, here they are to cart the poor author to the looney bin. I'll be right there! They ought to repair the long car, though - replace the regular rectangle, a circle can roll better. :lol:
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

OK, y'all, I'm confused:
Is it or is it not OK to use a letter from the big word more than once in a word of the story?
I keep thinking Someone In Authority said it isn't... but I certainly could be wrong for once in my life.
If the consensus is that it's all OK, then that's groovy. 8-)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I didn't get that impression from the examples in the first page, but I could certainly have missed it somewhere in thread!
And if consensus is to tighten restrictions if it wasn't that way already, I'm perfectly fine with that.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

redrun wrote: September 28th, 2022, 7:03 pm I didn't get that impression from the examples in the first page, but I could certainly have missed it somewhere in thread!
And if consensus is to tighten restrictions if it wasn't that way already, I'm perfectly fine with that.
O Dear, not that I would want to restrict (much less tighten) anyone's freewheeling imagination! :shock:
We would lose out on sooooo many brilliant literary flights of fancy. :9:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Ah, but as with poetry, the restrictions give direction and add to the beauty of the finished work. It's not all bad. :wink:
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Ah... as in...

"Of the bells, bells, bells, bells—
Bells, bells, bells—"
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

maxgal wrote: September 28th, 2022, 7:29 pm Ah... as in...

"Of the bells, bells, bells, bells—
Bells, bells, bells—"
Which reminds me of one of The Greatest Readings Ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS5yQJnkNjY
Louise
"every little breeze..."

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Ha, fair enough, there are certainly limits! :lol:

"Belle's bells: bolelelelellll!" may be about as good as I could do with that.
Perhaps on those early posts, they were using only one of each letter in the original word, per line? I'd have to check more closely.

Edit: And wow, that really is an amazingly executed reading of a fascinating poem. It's already impressive before the change around 1:20, and it keeps getting better. I'll have to find out more about this Basil Rathbone!