COMPLETE Heather and Snow by George MacDonald-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Wonderful. I hope to get to it this weekend, but I can't promise. I have a huge event on Saturday, so it's anyone's guess.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Chapter 20 is ready for PL. But no rush...
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chapter 18:

1:06 Stumble and repeat. "...answered Kirsty, as she took a riding-- as she took a riding whip from the wall..."
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

19 and 20 are PL ok.

I am grateful to MacDonald for including a character like Phemy's father. He serves as an important cautionary tale to us bookish types. :|
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

I finally took 3 minutes to get chapter 18 ready for spot PL! And I still have a couple more chapters recorded way back in February to edit. Not sure when I'll get back to recording these weeks... :(
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

PL ok!

I totally understand! I have a lot of DR editing waiting for me, and it's been tough to find the time to work on it. My problem is just that I have so many other things going on. Handicrafts, podcasts, actual physical books on my shelf to read.... Work. :lol:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Just checking in to say I still have this project on my radar. My recording studio has just been unusable for the past two months of work on the house, though.
~ Hannah
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Still not back to recording yet, but here is a recording from February I finally got edited!
Chapter 21 ready for PL
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I have an optional suggestion for one spot in Chapter 21. It could stand as is, but I also think could be improved.

At 3:09, the text is "She nott (needed) a heap o' luikin til!" To the ear, though, it kind of sounds like "She not needed a heap o'..." You did put a good break in there, so it doesn't totally sound that way. But it could be confusing to some listeners. Have you considered skipping the parenthetical here, and just use intonation to make the meaning clear? "She nott a heap o' luikin til!" I don't know how you feel about skipping these bits. I consider them editorial comments similar to footnotes, so I don't mind skipping them, but perhaps you like to include them all. My suggestion also might require that sentence to be rerecorded, and I know you've just said that you are not back to recording yet.

So anyway, just an idea. If you don't want to do it, then this chapter can be marked PL ok. :D :thumbs:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

mightyfelix wrote: July 8th, 2022, 12:18 pm I have an optional suggestion for one spot in Chapter 21. It could stand as is, but I also think could be improved.

At 3:09, the text is "She nott (needed) a heap o' luikin til!" To the ear, though, it kind of sounds like "She not needed a heap o'..." You did put a good break in there, so it doesn't totally sound that way. But it could be confusing to some listeners. Have you considered skipping the parenthetical here, and just use intonation to make the meaning clear? "She nott a heap o' luikin til!" I don't know how you feel about skipping these bits. I consider them editorial comments similar to footnotes, so I don't mind skipping them, but perhaps you like to include them all. My suggestion also might require that sentence to be rerecorded, and I know you've just said that you are not back to recording yet.

So anyway, just an idea. If you don't want to do it, then this chapter can be marked PL ok. :D :thumbs:
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't know we could leave out a word like that. I will go back and listen to see if it could possibly just be cut out this time as, you're right, I'm not currently set up to record. I do need to dig my way into that room that is used being used for storage though... and soon, since I have a couple chapters claimed in the other MacDonald that is getting closer to finishing!
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I mean, it's kind of a judgement call, and I admit that I'm making some assumptions. At LV, we do say that you cannot alter, change, or omit text. At the same time, we allow readers to omit footnotes and things of that kind. The assumption that I'm making (and I did this in other projects too, like Malcolm) is that the parenthetical meaning in the text is not original to MacDonald, but is an editorial addition to help readers make sense of the Scots. I could be wrong about that, so if you want to be on the safe side, then leave them all in. :)
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

That makes sense.

I finally got my mic set up between stacks of storage bins and waited for a few seconds of "silence" between all the kitchen clatters, bangs, saws, and tractors around here to patch chapter 21 per your suggestion of leaving out the translation that time - assuming it is editorial.

Plus I edited my last recording from back in February, so 22 is Ready for PL!
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

21 and 22 both PL ok. :D
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Just a belated monthly check-in to say I have not forgotten this project! Looking forward to getting back to recording this winter!
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yay!