[COMPLETE]The Blue Review Vol 1 No 2 by Various-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I don't see why not, I'm not mad keen on short projects without reason but that seems a good idea in this case :D Just pencil me in as MC and I'll be there - life is still disorganized at Chez Annise but I do get there eventually - I seem to be running a boarding house or an asylum depending on the day.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

13 is spot PL OK. 15 and 17 are PL OK. For 16:

All of the other sections in the MW have ‘by [author’s name]’, so I have taken the liberty of adding that to this as it was the only section without that information. If that was just an oversight, just check that it looks okay. BUT if I’ve jumped the gun, please delete it and tell me so.

5.49-5.51, top half p 145
...dinning [heard dining] on the big drum.
I take it to mean that in Beerbohm’s depiction Bonar Law is creating a great din, uproar with a drum rather than eating off of it. The (London) National Portrait Gallery is showing various caricatures and political drawings, but nothing attributed to Beerbohm; it’s possible to do a bit more searching for the image, but let me know if that’s what you’d like.

John Stagg! Want me to PL? I was surprised when I read that - I thought, 'hang on, I've recorded that guy!'. It was a few years ago for Halloween but it was only three poems, which isn't much at all to commemorate someone's whole life. If you'd like to launch with two longer ballads, I'd be more than happy to PL. Something is always better than nothing, and if you're not planning on reading the whole book then two more of his poems is still a definite net gain. More northern poets and more differently abled authors can only be a good thing.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Anne! I guess it's good to be busy - or perhaps not? Here in lockdownland, I feel like I'm running a home for hermits!
annise wrote: August 24th, 2021, 4:15 am life is still disorganized at Chez Annise but I do get there eventually - I seem to be running a boarding house or an asylum depending on the day.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist wrote: August 24th, 2021, 1:22 pm John Stagg! Want me to PL? I was surprised when I read that - I thought, 'hang on, I've recorded that guy!'.
:D :D It never occurred to me to look for him in the catalogue - and you even got the poems from the same book! I think you picked the good ones. I recall that some were not so interesting and some very difficult to read due the printing or scanning, so it seemed like it would be a bit tedious to do the whole book. But as you know, I enjoy narrative poems and the first two are good yarns!

Incidentally, there's also a short story catalogued under John Stagg - it's by J.J. Stagg and fairly modern, so I'm pretty sure it is a different author.

Thanks for the PL! I will go with 'dinning'!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've passed the info re J J Stagg on

Anne
Newgatenovelist

I have no problem with your cherry picking some of the more interesting poems. If it means that you maintain your interest and an author still gets *something* recorded (and maybe even a better sample than if it had been the whole book), then it's all to the good. I will admit that I didn't read through the entire collection, so PLing these two non-gothicky ones will broaden my horizons to boot.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 16 is ready for spot PL, which means we'll be ready for the catalogue if that one is okay!

I'm off to set up John Stagg now.
Newgatenovelist

16 is spot PL OK. I'll go check in with John Stagg!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Ho Hi Ho ... it's off to work I go :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/th-blue-review-number-2-by-various/[/color]

Thank you both :clap: :clap: :clap: Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thank you, Anne! Nice choice for the cover!
Newgatenovelist

Are there gremlins running loose on the John Stagg project? I've received a couple of notifications, but on two different days now when I've clicked to view I've had an error message as follows:
You are not authorised to read this forum.
Have you come across this before? It feels a bit like I'm a very low-ranking spy who isn't authorised to do something big!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Sorry, Erin! I thought something like that might happen. I made a mistake with the thread, so I took it down and started another.

Could you have a look at the New Projects Launchpad. The new thread was sitting at the bottom of the page this morning and both of the ballads are uploaded.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=88847

I have also started recording Footsteps of Fate by Louis Couperus and I'll start a thread for that in a few days and let you know when I do. I really want to read the Small Souls books, but this is a shortish one to start off with - and not too much Dutch as it is mostly set in London.