Complete [PSYCHOLOGY] Group: Studies in Word-Association by Carl Jung-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rberenyi

Post by rberenyi »

vviera wrote: January 7th, 2022, 1:17 pm
rberenyi wrote: January 7th, 2022, 11:32 am Hello!

Here is Section 44:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/wordassociation_44_jung_128kb.mp3
Time: 19:06
Hi Rochelle -
Very nice reading! I enjoyed listening to you.

Notes:
Lead silence a bit long - please trim to .5-1.0 seconds
6:04 text: intrapsychical heard: intraphysical
6:47 and 6:53 repetition starting at "Naturally…"
11:04, 13:19 word associations table - please read and insert these. While other tables, like the calculations, don't matter so much, the words themselves are kind of the meat of the matter, so we've been including them. It's repetitive, but just read, e.g., "Stimulus word 1, green; father, colour; mother, joy; daughter, is nice," e.g., and so on for each line.

This isn't your first gig, so you may always do this, but remember the tip to start from latest time to earliest when you edit. Corrections don't usually move the time marks around much, but with a bigger insertion like these tables, it will make quite a bit of difference.

I'm about to do sec. 45.

Thanks!
Verla
Thanks! This was actually my first real recording, it's just taken me a while to edit and upload it because I mistakenly read all of Chapter 11 as though it was one section, so I'm still really big on trying to learn as much as I can and get as many tips as possible! Since first starting this recording, I've since started using labels, which has really helped.

I will get to work on these corrections! I also just uploaded 46 and 47, so I am sure there will be more in there (as I mentioned, this whole chapter was my first bigger chunk of project since I've joined Librivox, so hopefully I will have a better handle on things now).

Thank you for the quick feedback! I really enjoyed reading this section, so once I get all the changes made, I would likely be happy to take on some more sections.
vviera

Post by vviera »

rberenyi wrote: January 7th, 2022, 11:32 am Hello!

And Section 45:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/wordassociation_45_jung_128kb.mp3
Time: 24:39
Oh, my! Yes, accidentally doing 44-47 all at once was taking on a lot! I can see why you thought it was a looooong section! Here are notes on 45. There are a lot of tables to add. Remember, no hurry, ever, on LV. Just have fun. I responded so fast just because I happened to take the day to do a bunch of PL. I'm not always so quick!

:50 insert stimulus word table
3:12 and 3:27 repetition starting at "The complex reactions.."
5:44 omits "But there is a very essential difference" through "the past and present"
8:00 insert stimulus word table
8:29 text: goitre, heard: goatee
11:23 stimulus word table
12:39 and 12:44 repetition "But a strong complex..."
16:42 examples table
17:22 text: appropriate, heard: approximate
17:30, 21:23, 21:58, 22:32, 23:44, example tables
24:05 stimulus word table

Thanks again,
Verla
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

rberenyi wrote: January 7th, 2022, 1:41 pm
Section 46: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/wordassociation_46_jung_128kb.mp3
Time: 17:45
Hi Rochelle--

Before I give you the long list, let me say that you have some of the clearest diction I've ever PLed, and it doesn't sound forced. It's very easy to listen to.

beginning silence almost 3 seconds, trim to .5-1.0
:11 almost two seconds of silence between sentences - cut to around 1 sec. or a little less for it to read more naturally
1:38 and 3:02 add in table
4:16 long silence between sentences, however at 4:17, table needs to be put in anyway, so you can look at it in that context
5:12, 6:04, 6:12 trim silence between sentences;
6:40 add in table
7:50 trim silence
10:21 insert table
12:16 and 12:35 trim silence
13:14 and 14:16 insert table
15:09 and 16:29 trim silence
16:59 insert table
end silence about 6.5 seconds

For all that, you know what's not in there? Not ONE word needed to be corrected. That's excellent. It's just the silence and adding those tables.

What I would actually recommend is inserting the tables and ignoring the silence issue completely for your first round, then listen through the entire file for nothing but those unnatural silences. There were a number of other places I almost commented on because they were kind of on the cusp of too long. Just use your own ears and snip, snip wherever it seems to drag.

For Sec. 47, I am just going to throw it back to you. I probably should have done that with 46, but I knew you wanted more feedback. All these statistical tables in sec. 47 need to be read. While those small ones were less important earlier in the chapter, here they're germane to the point they're making when summarizing the results.

I know it means a lot of additional work on all four sections, and I know that's not what you actually thought you'd signed up for! I really appreciate your efforts to finish it all.

As an aside, I keep thinking, if I had to do an experiment for 2.5-3 hours, my reactions would get slow too!

Verla

Cheers, VERLA
rberenyi

Post by rberenyi »

vviera wrote: January 10th, 2022, 11:32 pm
Hey, thank you so much, I appreciate it! Once I get all the tables added and everything cleaned up a bit, I'll be back! :)
vviera

Post by vviera »

rberenyi wrote: January 15th, 2022, 2:43 pm
vviera wrote: January 10th, 2022, 11:32 pm
Hey, thank you so much, I appreciate it! Once I get all the tables added and everything cleaned up a bit, I'll be back! :)
You're so welcome. I look forward to hearing the new versions.

Cheers, VERLA
rachella

Post by rachella »

here is section 33
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/wordassociation_33_jung_128kb.mp3

this is my first long audio, so let me know if I missed anything. thank you!
vviera

Post by vviera »

rachella wrote: January 19th, 2022, 5:56 pm here is section 33

Thanks, rachella. I will PL soon. Just a reminder to put the duration up as well as the URL when you post a completed section in the forum. I opened the recording to look (43:22), but it's nice for the people filling out the Magic Window to have it there as reference rather than having to go search.

Verla

Cheers, VERLA
rachella

Post by rachella »

vviera wrote: January 19th, 2022, 9:05 pm

Thanks, rachella. I will PL soon. Just a reminder to put the duration up as well as the URL when you post a completed section in the forum. I opened the recording to look (43:22), but it's nice for the people filling out the Magic Window to have it there as reference rather than having to go search.

Verla
Ah, sorry! It completely slipped my mind!
vviera

Post by vviera »

rachella wrote: January 20th, 2022, 9:59 am
I just reread my email and it sounded kind of curt. What I meant to say was,

[Thanks, Rachella! So glad to have you joining this project! As a quick reminder, be sure to include the duration when you send the file URL. But don't worry about it - everybody new has a learning curve, and we all remember how it was :D I'll get the PL done soon.]

I really shouldn't write email at bedtime :lol:

Thanks again,
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
rachella

Post by rachella »

vviera wrote: January 20th, 2022, 10:23 am
rachella wrote: January 20th, 2022, 9:59 am
I just reread my email and it sounded kind of curt. What I meant to say was,

[Thanks, Rachella! So glad to have you joining this project! As a quick reminder, be sure to include the duration when you send the file URL. But don't worry about it - everybody new has a learning curve, and we all remember how it was :D I'll get the PL done soon.]

I really shouldn't write email at bedtime :lol:

Thanks again,
Verla
Haha, no worries! I appreciate the reminder. It’s tough to convey tone online, but I didn’t take it negatively! :)
vviera

Post by vviera »

Hi rachella--
I enjoyed your relaxed style of reading, and good for you for taking on such a long and arduous section this early in your LV adventure! There are not too terribly many considering the length, but here are the PL notes;

1:27 and 1:34 - repetition of sentence beginning "Hence"
3:27 text: properly, heard: probably
3:42 text: plays, heard: pays
4:10 text: chapter i as in the Roman numberal "one", heard: chapter "I" (the letter)
4:22 text: definite, heard: certain
21:05 Kant is pronounced Kahnt
29:29 phrase is missing "which suffices to make them lose the"
30:53 text: abnormality, heard: abnormally
39:28-39:39 is a repetition of what follows
39:57 repetition "and on"

You may have already picked up this tip, but be sure to make your corrections from the latest time backwards to the earliest. Otherwise, starting from the beginning rather than the end, (for example here) you'd remove that repeated "Hence" sentence and every other time would be wrong already. Then the given times would be increasingly incorrect as you cut each repetition.

Nothing to change about the following, just an observation. Frequently the edits made between sentences are very close, almost on top of each other. It was common to hear that throughout, but I jotted down a few times so you could take a listen and hear what I'm noticing:
12:41, 14:19, 16:32, 34:46, 39:01, 41:43
I always think of letting sentences and paragraphs "breathe." Paste in a little silence if needed to maintain a flow. We're reading it on the page, but the listener needs a little brain space to absorb the content as it streams by the ear.

But good work overall, and I hope you'll do more for this project. It's a long one and there are still a LOT of open sections!
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
rachella

Post by rachella »

vviera wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 7:04 pm

Hi rachella--
I enjoyed your relaxed style of reading, and good for you for taking on such a long and arduous section this early in your LV adventure! There are not too terribly many considering the length, but here are the PL notes;

1:27 and 1:34 - repetition of sentence beginning "Hence"
3:27 text: properly, heard: probably
3:42 text: plays, heard: pays
4:10 text: chapter i as in the Roman numberal "one", heard: chapter "I" (the letter)
4:22 text: definite, heard: certain
21:05 Kant is pronounced Kahnt
29:29 phrase is missing "which suffices to make them lose the"
30:53 text: abnormality, heard: abnormally
39:28-39:39 is a repetition of what follows
39:57 repetition "and on"

You may have already picked up this tip, but be sure to make your corrections from the latest time backwards to the earliest. Otherwise, starting from the beginning rather than the end, (for example here) you'd remove that repeated "Hence" sentence and every other time would be wrong already. Then the given times would be increasingly incorrect as you cut each repetition.

Nothing to change about the following, just an observation. Frequently the edits made between sentences are very close, almost on top of each other. It was common to hear that throughout, but I jotted down a few times so you could take a listen and hear what I'm noticing:
12:41, 14:19, 16:32, 34:46, 39:01, 41:43
I always think of letting sentences and paragraphs "breathe." Paste in a little silence if needed to maintain a flow. We're reading it on the page, but the listener needs a little brain space to absorb the content as it streams by the ear.

But good work overall, and I hope you'll do more for this project. It's a long one and there are still a LOT of open sections!
Verla

Here is the new edit!
Section 33 -- Time: 43:09

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback! And also for the tip about starting from the end of the recording. That didn't occur to me, so it really saved me time and frustration haha. I appreciate the advice too! I got so caught up in making sure there weren't any long pauses that I forgot to let the words breathe like you said. Definitely will keep that in mind for future recordings!
vviera

Post by vviera »

rachella wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 11:26 pm
Here is the new edit!
Section 33 -- Time: 43:09
Thanks for the fast turnaround time! PL OK.

Cheers, VERLA
cqpancoast

Post by cqpancoast »

Hello! I am a new reader interested in Jung and would like to claim both sections of chapter 7. I will also be around to work on this project for the next month.
vviera

Post by vviera »

cqpancoast wrote: February 1st, 2022, 6:02 pm Hello! I am a new reader interested in Jung and would like to claim both sections of chapter 7. I will also be around to work on this project for the next month.
Hi CQ, and welcome to Librivox!
I'm the DPL (dedicated proof listener) for this project. Our BC (book coordinator), YuquingJune, lives in Asia and will be awake in a few hours! The BC is the one who assigns sections, but let me help you get started.

Before you record for your first project, you need to do the 1 minute test. This isn't an audition - it's just to make sure your recording is set up using LV parameters.

Here's the helpful Newbie Guide to Recording:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

And the instructions for the test recording
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Once you get the green light on the one-minute, you'll be ready to go. I wouldn't worry about anyone snatching up the Chapter 7 sections - things have been a little slow on this project lately.

Which also means we're doubly happy to have you show up to volunteer! :9: Pipe up with any questions you have - LV is a learn-by-doing atmosphere, and everyone's really open and friendly with help as questions come up.

Turning it over to you now, Yuquing :)

Cheers, VERLA