Contacting Libraries to Add Librivox to their website

Non-reading activities need your help too!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I am from Westford, Massachusetts. I was thinking about calling the Director or Assistant director of the library and see what their processes are for getting this done. I think that if we could each do that in our area/state and post here. Would someone in this thread be able/willing to set up a google doc that we could all edit? That would work for tracking. Christine
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

So, it sounds to me like this project is not going to work due to email spam, and not making it into an actual project. I guess the idea has been pretty much shot down which is OK with me. There are a lot of public media website to put posts to Librivox. I put a couple on FB, but people don't seem to be interested and have no clue what I'm doing.

People tend to think we're just looking for donations like everyone else and have nothing of interest to them. Where are the people who are downloading audiobooks? Would they rather pay for them than look into Librivox? I don't understand much right now. I'm just thinking, I guess.

I think the main focus of this site is to get books recorded and put out there for public use. There are a ton of books to work on and get finished from I can see and perhaps not enough volunteers to do it. Promoting the site is going to have to be done in some other fashion. Going personally to libraries is something out of the question, and they don't like emails or phone calls.

Being new here, I'm still confused as to how the whole process works. I'm not finding my niche, but it has to be here somewhere. I just feel, personally, that I'm not making any progress. I'm always looking for books to record, and I end up pretty much sticking with chapters in two or three projects. Then I feel like I'm taking parts away from other people.

Does everyone new go through this trying to find the best way they can contribute? I've considered editing, but I'm not sure I'd be good at it. I do love recording, but I'm constantly searching the forum for the right things to fit my weird voice! Also, there seem to be a lot more parts for males which I totally understand.

Maybe I just need to work on my genealogy and on writing my own books that I have planned. I have more ideas than I can find use for.

Carol
Some people think holding on is tough; sometimes it's letting go.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I am just now seeing this thread. Great ideas being discussed here.

I live in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana. Parish = County. We have one parish library system, with one Main Library, and several branches. I'd think the best idea would be to talk to the Main Library manager and see if they will post LV flyers in their facilities. Make an appointment. I am friends with the West Baton Rouge Parish head librarian, through a local computer club. I'll ask him what he thinks is the best approach, and report back. I am sure that a large % of the books we have available for download on LV are not in their system.

Another place to approach would be the school system. They are all strapped for cash and teachers could use LV as a great teaching resource. Someone mentioned a flyer? Is there a link to that?

I'm willing to call a Zoom session so we can brainstorm these ideas in person. Is anyone game for that?
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

msfry wrote: July 4th, 2022, 3:48 pm I am just now seeing this thread. Great ideas being discussed here.

I live in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana. Parish = County. We have one parish library system, with one Main Library, and several branches. I'd think the best idea would be to talk to the Main Library manager and see if they will post LV flyers in their facilities. Make an appointment. I am friends with the West Baton Rouge Parish head librarian, through a local computer club. I'll ask him what he thinks is the best approach, and report back. I am sure that a large % of the books we have available for download on LV are not in their system.

Another place to approach would be the school system. They are all strapped for cash and teachers could use LV as a great teaching resource. Someone mentioned a flyer? Is there a link to that?

I'm willing to call a Zoom session so we can brainstorm these ideas in person. Is anyone game for that?
Hi, The flyer link is in one of the first posts to this thread. I would love to do a Zoom. I would like to follow up on ideas here but have lost my enthusiasm due to my extreme non-confrontational nature.
Christine
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ah, I see the link. Thanks
RichardSaunders

Post by RichardSaunders »

As a longtime librarian myself, rather than approach libraries individually (which is perfectly acceptable) I recommend working with the American Library Association to get a LibriVox poster added to the ALA products catalogue. If anyone from LibriVox will contact me directly, I'm happy to use my connexions inside ALA to kick off the process.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

RichardSaunders wrote: May 25th, 2023, 9:41 am As a longtime librarian myself, rather than approach libraries individually (which is perfectly acceptable) I recommend working with the American Library Association to get a LibriVox poster added to the ALA products catalogue. If anyone from LibriVox will contact me directly, I'm happy to use my connexions inside ALA to kick off the process.
I will PM you. I would love to work with you on this!
Christine