(Complete) Ingersoll on ROBERT BURNS - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

vviera

Post by vviera »

msfry wrote: October 7th, 2021, 4:25 pm At last, Section 4.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ingersollv3burns_04_ringersoll_128kb.mp3 7:50
Wonderful! I hope this means things are going a little more smoothly now. Will PL tonight or tomorrow.
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
msfry

Post by msfry »

vviera

Post by vviera »

PL Notes

Sec. 4
From 2:06-2:22, there are three skips - at "flow'r," "ere," and "rainbow's"
At 3:13, there is another small skip at "bleak"
I thought this might be my audio acting up, but I went and listened to it on a second computer and heard the same.

Sec. 5
3:07 text: pretence; heard: "prentiss" (phonetic)
4:55 another small recording skip at "absurdity"

I'm enjoying both the text and the poetry a lot. Thanks for letting me PL!

Verla

Cheers, VERLA
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here is Section 6.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ingersollv3burns_06_ringersoll_128kb.mp3 12:47

Working on 4 and 5 but fixing the wrong word may be difficult, as Kay has disappeared. I will try to find a near matching voice, but if I can't we'll just leave it like it is.
vviera

Post by vviera »

msfry wrote: October 8th, 2021, 5:20 pm I will try to find a near matching voice, but if I can't we'll just leave it like it is.
It's such a tiny thing. I think the current word would be much less distracting to the listener than a different voice, even if similar sounding. I think you should leave it.

Cheers, VERLA
msfry

Post by msfry »

msfry

Post by msfry »

4 and 5 uploaded with attempts to blur Kay's skips (from him swallowing his vowels). I'll leave prentiss as is. I fixed my error.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sec. 6 PL OK.

He certainly is hard on poor Lord Alfred!! I was just chuckling, thinking, "Tell us how you really feel!" My favorite bit: "...the class to which he had been lowered as a reward for melodious flattery." Lowered, haha!

Sec. 7 PL OK.

I didn't know that much about Burns, read "To a Louse" in college and that's about it (and long ago, that). I went and read more about him for this section, and followed with interest Ingersoll's travels through Burns' life. He fair worshipped Burns! But I kept wondering if Burns supported any of those children with the various women other than Armour, the many lads and lassies not mentioned at all here. Probably not, since he was a broke artist. But those poems live on...

Thanks for the DPL opportunity, I really enjoyed it.
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
msfry

Post by msfry »

Lynne, I have edited the summary and consider this project ready to roll. Cover is ready, too.
msfry

Post by msfry »

vviera wrote: October 10th, 2021, 6:44 am Sec. 6 PL OK.

He certainly is hard on poor Lord Alfred!! I was just chuckling, thinking, "Tell us how you really feel!" My favorite bit: "...the class to which he had been lowered as a reward for melodious flattery." Lowered, haha!

Sec. 7 PL OK.

I didn't know that much about Burns, read "To a Louse" in college and that's about it (and long ago, that). I went and read more about him for this section, and followed with interest Ingersoll's travels through Burns' life. He fair worshipped Burns! But I kept wondering if Burns supported any of those children with the various women other than Armour, the many lads and lassies not mentioned at all here. Probably not, since he was a broke artist. But those poems live on...

Thanks for the DPL opportunity, I really enjoyed it.
Verla
Thanks, Verla, for PLing this project. It's been on my bucket list for a long time, waiting for an authentic Scotsman to read Burns' part. This completes the Ingersoll on Famous People collection. I am mostly happy with the way this one turned out, except for that "prentiss" word and a few skips. In my private communications with Kay, he was adamant to remain faithful to the Scottish dialect Burns wrote in, while I was interested in non-Scottish people being able to understand what Burns was saying. He won. In the final analysis, I think Burns' intensity was communicated beautifully even without knowing what some of the words meant.

As to Tennyso, iI's the same old conflict of classes we see today due to differences in educational, cultural and economic experience, and always have/always will. Ingersoll, of course, was showing off his own prowess as keen observer, wordsmith and artist. His oratory is always over the top!!!! It didn't tarnish my appreciation of Tennyson, one of my faves since high school.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Looks like this is ready to be catalogued.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ingersoll-on-robert-burns-from-the-works-of-robert-g-ingersoll-volume-3-lecture-2-by-robert-burns/

Congratulations on another one in the catalog :clap: :clap: :clap:
msfry

Post by msfry »

A few additions/corrections are needed. First, summary is by Wikipedia, and Michele Fry.
Second. Please add this to the Ingersoll on Famous People series, usually cited under the summary.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

msfry wrote: October 10th, 2021, 10:19 am A few additions/corrections are needed. First, summary is by Wikipedia, and Michele Fry.
Second. Please add this to the Ingersoll on Famous People series, usually cited under the summary.
We cannot use a summary by wikipedia.
I'll look to see if a group has been set up. Adding projects to a group is not automatic and you need to let the MC know. Once it is added, the blurb will appear.