COMPLETE SOLO Selections from Josephus by Titus Flavius Josephus-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BeckyWTX

Post by BeckyWTX »

Merry Christmas! I am just finishing editing Section 10. I will finish and upload either Monday pm or Tuesday.

I would like to update the catalog description paragraph, to reflect more of the quality of Josephus' writings and the excellence of Thackery's scholarship. I cannot find a way, even signed in as administrator, to access that part of the project software. I am private messaging the paragraph to MaryAnn Spiegel. I'm going to also post it here in the event you are able to access that portion of the software.

Jewish historian, military leader and Roman citizen, Titus Flavius Josephus, provides the most thorough history of the 1st century Roman Empire deals with the Jewish people. Born in Jerusalem during the reign of Caligula; present with the Roman Army of Vespasian and Titus at the siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple, Josephus stands preeminent among early Christian period writers.

"I have selected the passages most relevant to Christian origins and New Testament study," writes Henry St. James Thackery of King's College, UK, leading biblical scholar on Josephus and Koine Greek translator.

"Some figures which in the New Testament are little more than names, become clothed with life" by Josephus as he "gives us the background of Jewish and world history in the time of our Lord and the infant church. ... And we have full and life-like portraits of Roman governors and generals."

More than 400 footnotes and extensive appendix notes have been woven through the audio text that the listener might experience Thackery's insights and teaching, as if in his class at King's. Many of the names and places are read with Erasmian Koine Greek pronunciation.
Summary by Rebecca Eden Walker

Thank you Larry. Excited to be completing this amazing project!
BeckyW
BeckyWTX

Post by BeckyWTX »

Section 10 submitted
Duration 29:11.54 89.2dB

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/selections_10_josephus_128kb.mp3

Thank you MaryAnn Spiegel and Larry Wilson for the privilege of working with you both on this extraordinary project. I appreciate your patience, confidence and cheerleading these past 21 months. I can honestly say I gave each section my very best effort and my best skills at that time.
With all my heart, thank you Larry for your phenomenal support, guidance, encouragement, expertise and wisdom given along the way. Selections from Josephus challenged me even more than I estimated it would at the beginning, starting with learning Erasmian Koine Greek for this monumental project. (It turns out there are 8 different languages in Thackeray's work - a testament to his exceptional scholarship.)
It has been a profound honor to be a part of this Josephus project. It was worth all the work it took to complete it!
More than anything else, I hope listeners gain a testimony of the reality of these events and the people who lived them, as they hear Josephus' and Thackeray's words.
My very best to you both for a wonderful 2023.

There are 2 minor errors that I let ride -- very early in Note II, I mistakenly say 137 instead of 1037 in a bibliography note. Also near the end of the note, I say "phenomenon" when it should be "phenomena." I am on travel, and chose to submit rather than hold up the project into 2023.
I will upload the corrected Section 07, a 3-second dead-time delete, next. With that, Selections from Josephus by Titus Flavius Josephus is complete.
BeckyWTX
BeckyWTX

Post by BeckyWTX »

Section 7 submitted for Spot PL edit
New duration: 21:53.31
89.1 dB
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/selections_07_josephus_128kb.mp3

Thank you for everything.
BeckyWTX
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Becky!!!!

This is truly an epic recording, and I am awe of your persistence to complete it and all the extra work that went into it. This monumental work will now be available to a wide listening audience. Josephus is one of the most quoted authors when reading anything about church history.

This last chapter was a real challenge, but you carried it off well, and all sections are now PL OK.

MaryAnn can now put the ribbons on it and get it cataloged.

CONGRATULATIONS :clap: :clap:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
BeckyWTX

Post by BeckyWTX »

Thank you Larry! See you in the Slave Narratives :D
BeckyW
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/selections-from-josephus/