COMPLETE [SOLO] Mrs Dalloway (Version 2) by Virginia Woolf-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: July 10th, 2021, 6:40 am I've just rerecorded and uploaded section 16 and the doctor's obsession with ProPortion makes it very difficult to avoid!! But I sat further from the mic and edited down the few that made it through so fingers crossed this works better!!
Hannah
Ha ha! Yes, quite an obsession indeed, but you have definitely got the better of Sir William Bradshaw this time, and no rest cure needed for you :) My knowledge of the history of Virginia Woolfe's mental health difficulties is only very slight, but at least to a naive ear this account of smug, self-important Dr Bradshaw sounds like a most exquisite piece of revenge on Woolfe's part.

A beautiful reading, as always, Hannah.
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Hi Peter

I have uploaded the next 4 sections - 2/3 of the way through if these are ok!

Hannah
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:30 am Hi Peter

I have uploaded the next 4 sections - 2/3 of the way through if these are ok!

Hannah
Sections 17 - 19 all lovely, and very much OK.
Will listen to section 20 tomorrow.
You really do have a gift for this, Hannah.
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Thank you so much, you're so kind! I might have to use some of your comments on my CV/website when I set up as an actor/voice artist professionally (as is the plan!)
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 2:27 am Thank you so much, you're so kind! I might have to use some of your comments on my CV/website when I set up as an actor/voice artist professionally (as is the plan!)
Sure sounds like a good plan to me — though I hope it doesn't mean you have to put on hold your other plan to be a brain surgeon :D . Hopefullly you can juggle both. Have sent you a PM on this.

Section 20 is all fine. I'd forgotten what a large cast this novel has.
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Hi there

Sorry it's been a while! I've uploaded three more sections - hope they're ok! Nearly there, hopefully I can get it finished this side of Christmas!

Hannah
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sections 21, 22 and 23 are all PL OK, Hannah, and beautifully read, as always.
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

24 and 25 ready for PL!

Final 5 recorded, just need to edit!
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: November 6th, 2021, 11:00 am 24 and 25 ready for PL!

Final 5 recorded, just need to edit!
Section 24 is so sad! But certainly PL OK.
In section 25, there is a minor noise problem for the first 3 minutes (plus maybe a few seconds past that — I'm not exactly sure where the noise stops). It sounds like there is a small motor or fan running in the background. I did a trial noise reduction myself on that first 3 minutes, and found it solved the problem really very well, so I'd suggest you consider doing this, as the audio quality of your other recordings is of a very high standard, and it would be a pity to leave this blemish in place when the solution is really pretty simple.

If you're not familiar with how to perform noise reduction in Audacity (and I wasn't until a few months ago) there are some good instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning#Noise_Reduction_with_free_Audacity_2.1.0_and_later_versions

Note that these instructions assume you want to reduce noise for the whole recording. That is not the case for you, as the problem disappears past the 3:00 or so mark. I suggest you select only the first 3 minutes and 10 seconds when you apply the noise reduction.

When I did my 'dummy' noise reduction on your file to see how well it would work, I sampled noise for about 1.2 seconds, from roughly the 7.6 to 8.8 second mark (there's a silence there, where the noise is present).

I used the following settings for noise reduction, and they seemed to work fine:
Noise reduction: 18 dB
Sensitivity: 6.0
Frequency smoothing (bands): 1

I do suggest you work on a COPY of your original, so that if you mess anything up, you've always got your original to fall back on.

If you've got any questions about this I'm happy to try to answer them - but I'm certainly no great audio expert, I'm afraid.

Your actual reading of both 24 and 25 is, as always, wonderful — and I'm delighted to hear of your progress in getting the rest recorded.
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Ah yes, my memory is terrible - once I'd got to the end of the recording, I'd forgotten the noise at the start! Honestly I'm surprised it's not on more recordings as it's my laptop's fan!

25 re-uploaded, 26 and 27 added too!

Hannah
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: November 7th, 2021, 8:55 am 25 re-uploaded, 26 and 27 added too!
Hannah
All three sections PL OK.

And so, now, it is all coming together. I especially love your entrance for Sally Seaton!
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Hi there - final 3 sections ready for PL!
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Listening to last three sections now.

Section 28 sounds fine, so I've marked it PL OK, but you'll see the filename does not match the pattern of the others (no "woolf"). Possibly MC can fix that problem for you, Hannah. but you may prefer to upload that file again with a filename that matches the established pattern.
Will look at (listen to) final two sections now.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Last three sections all PL OK (though note my comment above re filename of section 28).

Congratulations, Hannah, on completing your first Librivox solo. A great achievement, and a satisfying one for you, I hope. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by TheBanjo on November 22nd, 2021, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Amazing, thank you!

I've corrected the file name, so all sorted!

Do you know what the next steps are? I've never done this before, so not sure how to finish up!

Thanks for all your hard work on this :)

Hannah