COMPLETE The Small House at Allington - mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

So glad your trip went well!

There is a section missing from chapter 43 at 26:50: "was a gentleman who managed most of his uncle's ordinary affairs,--a clever fellow, who knew on which side his bread was buttered. Mr. Fothergill"

It looks like probably an just editing cut, as "Mr Fothergill" immediately precedes the missing section as well as ends it.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene

Sorry about that

You were quite right, I deleted the section by mistake while editing.

I have also removed a couple of clicks in the silent section at the end!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_43_trollope_128kb.mp3 35:19.3
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Deleted. Somehow posted twice.
Last edited by ArleneJoyce on June 12th, 2023, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlene
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 44 sounds great and is marked PL OK.

In chapter 43, correction at 26:50 sounds good. Something happened in the last paragraph, starting at 35:34, and a couple of edits might have been reversed. I'm sure those repeats weren't in the previous version.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

I'm so sorry; I was appalled when I listened to it! Thank you for picking it up. I don't know what happened, but I hope it is now as it should be!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_43_trollope_128kb.mp3

Nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 45.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_45_trollope_128kb.mp3 37.05

I hope all is well with you
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

I'm so sorry; I was appalled when I listened to it! Thank you for picking it up.
That's what proof-listeners are for! You wouldn't want me to feel I was useless, would you? :)

Chapters 43 and 45 sound great and are marked PL OK.

All is well here. We've had several excuses recently for out-of-town family to visit, so we've been having a good time.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 46

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_46_trollope_128kb.mp3 34:48

We have had a lovely time, celebrating our Golden Wedding by visiting our boys - and Friday (the actual day) we travel down by train to stay with my best man and his wife for the weekend. They have arranged for us to have a meal at the village pub where they live - it is now owned and run by the community! Earlier in the week Leff (my best man) will be doing duty as a waiter and general dogsbody; Friday he (and we) will be waited on hand and foot!

A couple of weeks ago we had another celebration when we went to Oxford, where we had booked a pub meal and boat-trip on the Isis (which is what the Thames is called as it flows through Oxford). We met up with both my brothers-in-law (Paul, the retired vicar, was my friend at Cambridge through whom I met Helen) and their wives, and Helen's bridesmaid, Angela. (Leff and his wife Caroline couldn't make it, sadly). As always with Angela it was an interesting occasion - she hadn't arrived by the time we were due to go on the boat, so Martin rang her (they live relatively near each other) to find out how far away she was. (We had already warned everyone there was no parking). She said she was about a quarter of an hour's drive away and where could she park! The boat driver overheard the conversation and said if she could make her way to a particular club-house by the river we could pick her up as we went along the river on our trip. So that's what she did, and we did indeed pick her up from a jetty.
She brought with her, squashed in a large black bin-bag two enormous helium balloons - a five and a zero!
We ended up travelling back home on the train carrying the balloons - squashed back into the bin bag!
The boat driver squeezed Angela onto a later boat trip to take her back to her car after a long, luxurious lunch!
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

That sounds like such a lovely celebration! Congratulations to both of you!

Trollope was a little hard on poor Johnny in this chapter, I thought. It seems he's usually not direct enough to call someone a blockhead. The chapter is PL OK, and I enjoyed it as always.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 47
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_47_trollope_128kb.mp3 35:04.3

Hope all is well with you and you are enjoying the summer

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Thank you. I have indeed been enjoying the summer. Perfect weather, no smoke this year from British Columbia fires, and several fun family and community events. We feel spoiled, considering the difficult summer most of the rest of the country has been having. It's hard to believe it's nearly halfway through August already!

This chapter is Trollope at his best to me. There are just the right little details to make you see the scene as he sees it, without whole paragraphs of description--Amelia's glances, chairs pulled up to the fire, Lupex fingering the drink preparation items. Loved your Lupex whining. It was just perfect. Chapter 47 is marked PL OK.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 48
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_48_trollope_128kb.mp3 34:26.7. One could (almost) feel sorry for Crosbie!

We have had a lovely summer and are off to Croatia tomorrow with our sailing friends for one week dinghy sailing with Neilson's activity holidays. We have mixed feelings as our flight takes off at 6 am Sunday morning (we hope) and there are only 8 of us going this year - 5 cried off because they changed the original flight, which would have been at a very civilised time! Also there is little wind and it promises to be scorching hot until the last couple of days, when it will be wet and stormy if the weather forecast is right.

I hope you enjoy Nemesis in operation!
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 48 is PL OK. One could almost feel sorry for the people around Crosbie, too, as he takes out his bad humor on them, except that they are so unlikeable!

Hope your holiday has gotten off to a great start and that the weather cooperates a better than expected.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Our holiday was very enjoyable, despite the fact that the wind did not cooperate. We couldn't sail at all on 2 days - but we used one of them to go to the nearest town - Zadar. It has a fascinating old town centre, near the marina, which was largely destroyed by Allied bombing during the Second World War, and was restoreded subsequently. There are signs that the Romans once occupied it and subsequently it was sttled by the Venetians.

Now both Helen and I are recovering from COVID - it affected her like a bad cold, but has only mde me woozy - but it has meant we had to duck out of all external commitments. We are hoping John and Mel (who got COVID nastily for the second week of their holiday in Tenerife )being younger, they have had fewer vaccinations than we have) will be better enough to come down to a friend's wedding nearby, and so spend the night with us. Then we are expecting guests - a very dear friend of Helen's from when they both attended Atlantic College as sixth formers - so I am not sure when I will next be able to record another chapter or two, let alone edit .

Here is Chapter 49 - a shorter one
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_49_trollope_128kb.mp3
28:32.9

Wishing you all the best

Nick