[SOLO/LATIN] De Vulgari Eloquentia, by Dante Alighieri - Leni

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Liber

Post by Liber » February 23rd, 2021, 5:43 am

SOLO [LATIN] De Vulgari Eloquentia, by Dante Alighieri (1265-1321)
"De Vulgari Eloquentia" is a treatise by Dante Alighieri on the literary dignity and legitimacy of vernacular eloquence; it was written in Latin after the exile, between 1302 and 1305.

The treatise was meant to consist of four books, but only the first and half of the second were completed.

Dante discusses the historical evolution of languages and the search for an illustrious vernacular.

A translation in English is available at https://archive.org/details/translationoflat00dantuoft/page/65/mode/2up . (Summary by Liber)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/iltrattatodevul01aliggoog/page/n231/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2021-09-30

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"De Vulgari Eloquentia Dantis Alagherii. Haec est transcriptio vocis pro societate Librivoce facta. Omnia quae hic conservantur bono publico usui sunt. Vel ut plus scias, vel ut societatem adjuves, utinam revisas locum interretialem: Librivox punctum org. De Vulgari Eloquentia Dantis Alagherii. Liber Primus, Caput Primum."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"De Vulgari Eloquentia Dantis Alagherii, Liber #, Caput #. Haec transcriptio vocis pro societate Librivoce facta bono publico usui est"
End of recording:
Say:
"Finis Capitis #, Libri # De Vulgari Eloquentia Dantis Alagherii"
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"Finis De Vulgari Eloquentia Dantis Alagherii."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: devulgarieloquentia_##_alighieri_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. devulgarieloquentia_01_alighieri_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Leni

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 23rd, 2021, 6:33 pm

An excellent choice!

Statim fenestram tibi parabo! :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
Four sections open at the Library of the World's Best Literature, volume 12!

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 23rd, 2021, 6:42 pm

I believe this is your first solo, right? If so, as a solist, you are the coordinator of your own project, and responsible for your window. Here are the instructions on how to log in the window for the first time. Please observe that your window password is not the same as your forum password!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

Also, here are some instructions on how to update the window: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Let's see if we can attract a DPLer in the next few days. :D And let me know if you have any doubts.
Leni
=================

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » February 23rd, 2021, 6:51 pm

Leni wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 6:42 pm
Let's see if we can attract a DPLer in the next few days. :D
Like a bee to honey... :mrgreen: I'll give it a try, and maybe we can also call on your Latin knowledge for difficult cases, Leni!

Michael

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 23rd, 2021, 6:55 pm

Kazbek wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 6:51 pm
Like a bee to honey... :mrgreen: I'll give it a try, and maybe we can also call on your Latin knowledge for difficult cases, Leni!

Michael
Welp, that was fast! :lol: At your service, even though Dante is certainly NOT my area of expertise :shock:
Leni
=================

Liber

Post by Liber » February 24th, 2021, 4:20 am

Hi Leni and Michael,
Thank you for your help!
I will read about the Magic Window and I will start asap!
Cheers,
Liber

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 24th, 2021, 7:50 am

Great! Moving us to Going Solo.
Leni
=================

Liber

Post by Liber » February 27th, 2021, 10:03 pm

Hi Leni and Michael,

I have a question: is it OK if, at the beginning, I record 33 short files and, when all the text has been recorded, I merge everything in just a few new files (maybe 4, but I guess no more than 8)? I guess the ideal length of final files would be between 10 and 20 minutes.

This method would allow me (and maybe the DPL?) to divide the work into short, simple tasks, and then merge everything together so that the listening would feel easier for the final user (where each file would not feel too long, nor too short).

Of course I can take care of completing the merging.

Another question: if this method is OK, would the PL happen after the final merging?

Cheers,
Liber
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

P.S.
For example, this may work (assuming the reading speed is greater than 100 words per minute):
1° file: I.I - I.V__________<14 mins (≈1354 words)
2° file: I.VI - I.IX________<17 mins (≈1635 words)
3° file: I.X - I.XIV________<16 mins (≈1585 words)
4° file: I.XV - I.XIX_______<15 mins (≈1414 words)
5° file: II.I - II.III________<14 mins (≈1397 words)
6° file: II.IV - II.VI_______<13 mins (≈1290 words)
7° file: II.VII - II.X_______<14 mins (≈1390 words)
8° file: II.XI - II.XIV______<16 mins (≈1561 words)

And this works very well too, even better (with the same assumption as before, i.e. >100 wpm):
1° file: I.I - I.VII___________<21 mins (≈2063 words)
2° file: I.VIII - I.XII________<20 mins (≈1995 words)
3° file: I.XIII - I.XIX________<20 mins (≈1930 words)
4° file: II.I - II.IV__________<19 mins (≈1855 words)
5° file: II.V - II.IX__________<20 mins (≈1937 words)
6° file: II.X - II.XIV_________<19 mins (≈1846 words)

This is the extreme case, still OK:
1° file: I.I - I.IX__________<30 mins (≈2989 words)
2° file: I.X - I.XIX_________<30 mins (≈2999 words)
3° file: II.I - II.VI_________<27 mins (≈2687 words)
4° file: II.VII - II.XIV______<30 mins (≈2951 words)

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » February 28th, 2021, 6:51 am

Hi Liber,

Normally, the reader would record one section (e.g., 1° file: I.I - I.VII), and then it would be PLed; then the next one would be recorded and PLed, etc. The reader is free to organize their work behind the scenes as they wish, of course, but the uploads correspond to the final section division. Do you have concerns about this approach? I initially thought you wanted to start by uploading smaller chunks because you wanted immediate feedback on them (which we can do for the first chapter or two), but it sounds like you'd be ok if everything was PLed only at the end, so I'm not sure I understand the motivation. :hmm:

Michael

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 28th, 2021, 9:09 am

Agreeing with Michael here. I mean, how you personally handle the recording (in short sessions, for example) is not concern of ours. You can do a sample for Michael to check, but what we would see after that would be just your merged sections, if I understand correctly, so, it would be just a matter of changing the window to reflect the final product, which is no big deal.
Leni
=================

Liber

Post by Liber » February 28th, 2021, 2:18 pm

My main concern is that the pronunciation might need several cumulative adjustments as I record, every adjustment being likely to influence the reading of what comes after.

Also I find it easier to record short files (but Librivox users will probably find it easier to listen to ≈20 minutes long files).

So for example I may record chapters I.I - I.VII, doublecheck for pronunciation issues, make adjustments, merge the files, and then ask Michael to PL, right?

And then I may proceed similarly with each larger section, i.e. record I.VIII - I.XII, doublecheck for pronunciation issues, make adjustments, merge the files, and ask Michael to PL? And so on, and so on?

Liber

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » February 28th, 2021, 2:55 pm

I think your Latin is probably better than mine, Liber, so I doubt I'll be in the position to offer such far-reaching corrections. However, the MW can accommodate any arrangement with temporary files. For my purposes, I'd like to be able to do a single full PL for any reading, so, if we first do fragments of final sections, I'll need timestamps of the seams for spot PL after they're merged.

Michael

Liber

Post by Liber » February 28th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Kazbek wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 2:55 pm
For my purposes, I'd like to be able to do a single full PL for any reading, so, if we first do fragments of final sections, I'll need timestamps of the seams for spot PL after they're merged.
So, just to be sure: if I understand well, you could PL before the final merging? And then, after the merging is complete, I will need to provide timestamps of the seams? If so, that would be great!
Liber

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » March 1st, 2021, 6:28 am

Yes. You could reserve the top rows of the MW for the final sections and use a few rows below them as temporary workspace for partial files.

Michael