[Complete] The Arrow of Gold: A Story Between Two Notes by Joseph Conrad - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Is it artistic license of refining or a lost way of thinking and speaking?
I'm guessing we still retain a rich ability to deploy innuendo and playfulness in conversation face-to-face - and of course our whole sense of what may be said openly in conversation has changed radically in the last four or five decades, let alone in the last 100 years.

To a large extent nuanced dramatic conversations of an artistic nature have now moved off the page and onto the screen, I suspect, and there so much of the meaning of a conversation is not conveyed by the literal spoken words, but rather through expressions and gestures that 'shade' the meaning significantly. When watching a screen drama, we take great pleasure in 'reading' that shading for ourselves, as we distinguish the literal meaning of the spoken words from their 'actual' meaning. When reading Conrad's dialog on a page, without no actor standing in as an intermediary, I certainly find it hard at times to figure out if I'm just imagining the intended meaning, or not. All makes for an intriguing puzzle.

I've uploaded section 11 now: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_11_conrad_128kb.mp3 (25:31)
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 14: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_14_conrad_128kb.mp3 (31:34)

(My wife's away with her art class this long weekend, so I have a little more time than usual on my hands.)
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Watching a screen drama (except when it's being streamed) or going away for an arts class, sound like memories from a distant time. I'm in Germany at the moment and I suspect such pleasures will have to wait a while longer. And so my entertainment is mainly books. I started reading a novel that was recently published and was rather unsettled by the author's use of slang and unfinished sentences. I prefer Conrad's writing even so I long for a bit of action among all the refined conversations :(
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:55 am I prefer Conrad's writing even so I long for a bit of action among all the refined conversations :(
Well, I know I'm not supposed to spoil what's coming up, but I can tell you that one character is going to throw a box of cigarettes up in the air quite soon. Not quite what we usually mean by 'action', though, admittedly! For a book ostensibly about a smuggling mission (at some level), there's been precious little smuggling derring-do so far. But then there's very little spying in The Secret Agent, if it comes to that. Conversationally, on the other hand, Doña Rita really is something, I feel. Almost everything about her that is so attractive and seductive to our narrator is conveyed through the way she speaks to him, with all her rather startling conversational twists and swoops. There's a great deal of vitality in her dialog, I think.

I've just uploaded section 15: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_15_conrad_128kb.mp3 (40:11)

Things seem to be pretty rough in Germany from what (little) we hear about the situation in our daily papers. I gather the vaccine rollout has been going particularly slowly so far.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: March 6th, 2021, 4:07 am
Sunrise2020 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:55 am I prefer Conrad's writing even so I long for a bit of action among all the refined conversations :(
Well, I know I'm not supposed to spoil what's coming up, but I can tell you that one character is going to throw a box of cigarettes up in the air quite soon. Not quite what we usually mean by 'action', though, admittedly! For a book ostensibly about a smuggling mission (at some level), there's been precious little smuggling derring-do so far. But then there's very little spying in The Secret Agent, if it comes to that. Conversationally, on the other hand, Doña Rita really is something, I feel. Almost everything about her that is so attractive and seductive to our narrator is conveyed through the way she speaks to him, with all her rather startling conversational twists and swoops. There's a great deal of vitality in her dialog, I think.

I've just uploaded section 15: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_15_conrad_128kb.mp3 (40:11)

Things seem to be pretty rough in Germany from what (little) we hear about the situation in our daily papers. I gather the vaccine rollout has been going particularly slowly so far.
In most of Doña Rita's conversations I feel there is so much implied and lingering in the unspoken. And of course the tension between her and young Monsieur George. A flying box of cigarettes is sure to bring a crash to the quiet drawing room.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

PL for Section 15 and 16 is okay.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 5:42 am PL for Section 15 and 16 is okay.
Thank you!

The further I am getting into this (I've never read the book before) the more I'm appreciating that this could all be quite a challenge to follow. It's very good of you to be taking this journey with me!

I've just uploaded section 18: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_18_conrad_128kb.mp3 (22:09)
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Lynnet wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:45 am You’re right about the summary needing to be changed on the project page, so I’d appreciate being told of any changes. I usually check before cataloguing, but sometimes I forget :roll:
Lynne
Lynne, I've just updated my summary for this novel in the first posting for this topic, but I understand you will need to implement these changes elsewhere if the alteration is to take effect when the audiobook is eventually finished and published.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

TheBanjo wrote: March 9th, 2021, 4:58 am
Lynnet wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:45 am You’re right about the summary needing to be changed on the project page, so I’d appreciate being told of any changes. I usually check before cataloguing, but sometimes I forget :roll:
Lynne
Lynne, I've just updated my summary for this novel in the first posting for this topic, but I understand you will need to implement these changes elsewhere if the alteration is to take effect when the audiobook is eventually finished and published.
That’s correct. Thank you.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: March 8th, 2021, 12:16 am
Sunrise2020 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 5:42 am PL for Section 15 and 16 is okay.
Thank you!

The further I am getting into this (I've never read the book before) the more I'm appreciating that this could all be quite a challenge to follow. It's very good of you to be taking this journey with me!

I've just uploaded section 18: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_18_conrad_128kb.mp3 (22:09)
I’m enjoying the story but that I’ve accepted that it’s not a gun-running adventure. So far, I’ve managed to keep up with the characters and it’s fair to assume the listeners won’t be challenged.
Is Monsieur Ortega the boy who threw stones at Do~na Rita?

PL of Chapters 18-20 is fine.
==========
Susanne