[SOLO] David Copperfield, Version # by Charles Dickens - icequeen

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

That's okay, I slowed down on it again because of increased hours at work. But I hope to get back to it this weekend.

Brad
Guster

Post by Guster »

Sounds good. I have been run off my feet at work, but in a good way, just happy to be busy honestly! It is a nice break to listen to your recordings in the evening! Those ones are PL OK!
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Now I'm the one who disappeared, but I'm back. I think I've set a personal record for longest I've taken to finish one book. I'll be back at this soon.

Brad
Guster

Post by Guster »

I have not logged in for some time either and just yesterday I did to make sure I had not missed anything here!
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I swear I haven't forgotten about this project! Just checking in so you know I'm still here. My job is still taking up more of my time than usual.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

No problem, Brad! Thank you for checking in!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Two months after my last message, and still busy. But I have a little bit of time very soon. First, I'm finishing up my part in a long-overdue project in the "Readers Found" section, and then I'll finally finish the chapter of David Copperfield that I began months ago! And then, I'll be reading far more frequently than I was!

Brad
Guster

Post by Guster »

Sometimes life gets busy, I know I have been super busy lately! But I will be looking forward to getting back into this book when you have the time to record!
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I usually post three chapters at a time, but I'll do this one right now, partly to show you that I have FINALLY resumed the project and partly to ask you if you can hear a difference between the first part and the last part of my recording.

The first part I actually read several months ago and it ends at 26:13 with the words, "at time of public trouble." The rest I recorded today. When I listen to it through my headset, the first part sounds like it has a bit of an echo which disappears when the second part begins. With my regular speakers, it sounds much better. I am using a different computer and a different headset now, so that may have made the difference between the two halves. Do you notice any difference? If so, is it bad enough that I should reread the first half?

Brad
Guster

Post by Guster »

I will have it pled by tomorrow evening for sure, but just downloaded it and ran it through the checker and figured I would let you know it is 71kbps, of course it needs to be 128kbps, and uses a variable bitrate which needs to be changed to constant bitrate.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I have no idea how to adjust that. Audacity seems to have changed a lot over the past year.

Brad
Guster

Post by Guster »

When you export the file from audacity and are saving it to your computer there is a "quality" drop down menu where you can choose 128kbps. Right now it probably says 71kbps. I am 90% sure that the bitrate is in that same window when you export the file, just a different drop down. I think it is just the two option, variable and constant and of course you want constant. After you change those two settings they should save that way so I believe you should only have to do it once then you should be good to go after that. I would double check about where the bitrate is but I cant right now, but I am pretty sure its that same window.

EDIT:
The bitrate is in the same window, right above where you change the kbps, there are four options, chnge it to constant
Last edited by Guster on June 16th, 2022, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Okay, I think I found what you mean. How does it look now?

Brad
Guster

Post by Guster »

perfect! Both issues are now fixed! I will pl it tomorrow
Guster

Post by Guster »

Aaaand it is PL OK! I had to go back and listen to the spot the two parts connect and still could only hear a mild change. Great to be listing to this project again!