LibriVox and Wikipedia Links (Working Thread)

Non-reading activities need your help too!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oops, looks like that by deleting the old Yes/No column C in the Books spreadsheet, (which made the LV As Of Date the new Column C), the program is now inserting the date into the Wikipedia Column D. I have no idea how to move that code command over one to the left.

I won't begin processing the new books until this is fixed. Fingers crossed David can do it. Please let me know.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

For now I've added back in a column C but left it blank. (And I made it really narrow.) So at least when you add rows, the dates will show up in the correct column.

That will let you continue to work while giving David time to figure out how to fix the auto-date entry into the wrong column when column C is removed. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: July 19th, 2023, 2:42 pm For now I've added back in a column C but left it blank. (And I made it really narrow.) So at least when you add rows, the dates will show up in the correct column.

That will let you continue to work while giving David time to figure out how to fix the auto-date entry into the wrong column when column C is removed. ;)
There is no rush on this. I just had a few rare minutes of lull and decided to have a look rather than do household chores :? . My actual target date to begin is the 5th of each month.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I added all the catalogued books for the month of July (95) into the Books spreadsheet, and created and double checked Wikipedia links for 11 that had Wikipedia pages, as follows:

The Hampdenshire Wonder
The Guermantes Way (Le Côté de Guermantes)
The Radium Pool
Meet Mr. Mulliner
Worlds of the Imperium
The Passing of the Great Race
A Fighting Man of Mars
Bliss, and Other Stories
Pelléas and Mélisande
The Voyagers: Being Legends and Romances of Atlantic Discovery
Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel

95 matches the monthly statistics Tricia posted recently for July, so I guess I didn't miss any.

I didn't solve the tiny text in Column B problem, but if you double click in the cell then paste the title in, it stays in font size 10.
Whomever disappeared the old Column C, thanks.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Great! 8-)
msfry

Post by msfry »

August Book Spreadsheet Report:

Added all 108 titles, made links to the 14 titles, and verified all those that already had links, replacing one old style link with the one we use now (sporting the megaphone symbol).

14 August Book Links Made (msfry)

Kidnapped in London
The House on the Cliff (Version 3)
Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel
The Voyagers: Being Legends and Romances of Atlantic Discovery
Pelléas and Mélisande
Bliss, and Other Stories
A Fighting Man of Mars
The Passing of the Great Race
Worlds of the Imperium
Meet Mr. Mulliner
The Radium Pool
The Hampdenshire Wonder
The Guermantes Way (Le Côté de Guermantes)
Athaliah

quartertone has worked with me to design a snippet which simplifies the book entry process considerably. So far it opens a window that hovers over any project page list, and automatically displays: catalog date, title, project #, and wiki links (book and author) for all 25 projects showing on that page. Each item can be copied and pasted directly from that window into the spreadsheet, for each book. I've tested for accuracy and am confident there is no need to open the catalogue project page (a huge time savings). He is working on further modifications as well.

Once this is worked out, I will post a link to the snippet and search for a volunteer to train. My idea is to eventually create a training video, so other volunteers can easily follow this process.

I'm not sure how this snippet would work on authors, but something might be done to simplify that process as well (which you have described here).
Last edited by msfry on October 28th, 2023, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

quartertone has worked with me to design a snippet which simplifies the book entry process considerably. So far it opens a window that hovers over any project page list, and automatically displays: catalog date, title, project #, and wiki links (book and author) for all 25 projects showing on that page. Each item can be copied and pasted directly from that window into the spreadsheet, for each book. I've tested for accuracy and am confident there is no need to open the catalogue project page (a huge time savings). He is working on further modifications as well.
WOW - that's cool! 8-) I haven't seen it yet, of course, but the description of it is enough. Ha ha!
msfry

Post by msfry »

111 entries made.

15 September Book Links made (msfry)

Debits and Credits
Sea Drift from Leaves of Grass
Songs of Travel and Other Verses
The Improvement of Human Reason
The Clue of the New Pin
The Moon Hoax
The Starvel Hollow Tragedy
The Bridge of San Luis Rey
Birds of Passage from Leaves of Grass
Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 37, July 13, 1880
The Four Just Men
The History of Rome, volume 4
The Vision of Piers the Plowman (Warren translation)
Nothing More Than Murder
Anne's House of Dreams (version 3)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Added a few new links to authors' WP pages, whose works were cataloged in October.

It was pretty easy. Msfry sent me a list of Wikipedia pages for projects cataloged in October. I quickly went through them, saw the ones without links, and added them in. Updated the author database for each one added.

I think anyone with a little time could do this, if they got the list of Wikipedia pages to check. The only thing that needs admin involvement is making sure the authors are all listed in the spreadsheet.
msfry

Post by msfry »

For October, of the 105 books catalogued, I made 8 Wikipedia book links. 6 titles were already inked (either new versions of a title, or part of a series). The rest are either foreign language, or have no Wikipedia page.

18766 Chicago
18663 The Rehearsal
19309 A Pleasant Commodie of Faire Em, the Miller's Daughter of Manchester, with the Love of William the Conquerour
19359 The Lady of the Barge
18628 The Dream: a novel
18877 The Beauty Stone
19634 Poems of the Past and the Present
19664 Lost On Venus
Last edited by msfry on December 15th, 2023, 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oops, I deleted November.
Last edited by msfry on January 7th, 2024, 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Added links to the following authors:

Alexander McClure
George Miksch Sutton
Frederic Farrar ‎
James Thacher ‎
William Wallace Cook
United States Department of Agriculture
Alfred Edersheim ‎
Harry Vardon ‎
Catharine Cox Miles
Stephen W. Meader
Thomas Doolittle ‎
David Cory (author) ‎
Marcelo H. del Pilar ‎

Edited the following books:

César Birotteau ‎(You said it was already linked, but I didn't see it. I got to the page by mistake thinking it was an author.)
The Charterhouse of Parma (The old title search didn't work; I tweaked it to make it return both versions of the book.)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, TwinkieToes! :lol:
I distinctly remember adding that Cesar link, but I must have skipped the "Publish" step, because I don't see it in the "history".
I didn't know the extant link to Charterhouse would not serve up all iterations. Why didn't it? I credited you for updating the link. Another thing to be mindful of.
Please note the spreadsheet Column C heading now reads " Date Added to Spreadsheet, or Catalog Date beginning 10/23". Alas, when I add the info to the Working Sheet, it shows Catalog Date, but when I copy it to the main page, the date converts to Date Added. A wee glitch in the program, nothing substantive, just some info that would be cool to keep. We are working on fixing that somewhere down the road. The yellow headings for each month were when the Catalog Dates were showing.
msfry

Post by msfry »

quartertone has worked with me to design a snippet which simplifies the book entry process considerably. So far it opens a window that hovers over any project page list, and automatically displays: catalog date, title, project #, and wiki links (book and author) for all 25 projects showing on that page. Each item can be copied and pasted directly from that window into the spreadsheet, for each book.
Snippet update: All 25 items on a project page can be copied at once and pasted into the spreadsheet, each item in the correct column.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I didn't know the extant link to Charterhouse would not serve up all iterations. Why didn't it?
Because the link was searching for "The Chartreuse of Parma", and the second version only has "The Charterhouse of Parma" as the title. I set it to search for "Charterhouse of Parma".