LibriVox and Wikipedia Links (Working Thread)

Non-reading activities need your help too!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oops, Well, I've made all the entries onto the spreadsheet through the end of June. There are 24 Wikipedia links to make. I left my titles in Bold in case someone decides to sort before I get these questions answered.

1. Are you saying I need to make the links since I did it this way?

2. Your add a space before pasting in the link worked like a charm. What happens if I don't go back and delete the space? I haven't so far. I also quit adding the Yes and NO until further notice from David.

The next one on the list to do is Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel, beginning July 1st. I didn't see a way to enter that on your linked worksheet.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Great - thanks for the help!

1. You don't HAVE to, no. If you do this in future, please copy/paste the projects (titles only are fine) into a list for me, and post that list in this thread. That way I don't have to hunt for bolded titles. (It might be able to sort by the bolding, but I've found some functions there can be really flaky.)

2. I don't know what happens if you don't delete the space, other than it staying there. We don't sort that list by title, so it shouldn't mess up any sort. And I don't think the data is exported anywhere to mess anything else up. *shrug*
The next one on the list to do is Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel, beginning July 1st. I didn't see a way to enter that on your linked worksheet.
That would go in that Progress area where the Short Poetry Collection now is. Well, actually, the last one you did goes there. (I highlight the project ID and title cells from the last one I did and copy/paste it in that other tab, then change the date to the catalog date of that last one I did.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

If you sort Column D (Changed to C on 7/8), z to a, it will put the most recent date on top, so everything I posted since Short Story Collection is there. I left my titles bold to test that, and it worked. If I highlight and copy these bold titles in the spreadsheet along with their project numbers, sorted most recent entry first, I get this list. Is this what you're looking for?

It seemed a lot easier to me to go ahead and paste them in the spreadsheet in the first place. There are 87 entries for June.

19421 Atomic!
18752 To the Lighthouse (Version 3)
18759 Elmer Gantry
19387 An Hymn to the Evening
19314 Back to Methuselah

19110 Her Associate Members
18506 The First Two Stuarts and the Puritan Revolution 1603-1660
12637 Verspreide verhalen
19332 The Science of Being Well (version 2)
19405 A Treatise of the Fear of God
17707 Christopher Junior
18765 A Christmas Carol (Version 14)
19277 Hänsel and Gretel: A Fairy Opera in Three Acts
18468 Love and Freindship (Dramatic Reading)
18280 George Sand
19369 Colonel Chabert (Version 2)
19390 La Fée des Grèves
18528 Sammlung kurzer deutscher Prosa 059
19380 L' anno 3000
15070 The Revolutions of Civilization
19220 Weather Influences
17727 Dr. Hackensaw's Secrets
19388 Troy
19415 The Old Byway
17902 Aniwee: or, the Warrior Queen
18678 Letters from Hell
18994 History of My Pets
19289 Πολιτεια του Πλατωνα (τομος τρίτος)
19294 London Tradesmen
19303 War Impressions: Being a Record in Colour
19398 A Manual of Religious Belief
19300 Discoveries: Essays in Literary Criticism
19301 Petticoat Government, Vol. I
18549 War and Peace, Volume 4 (Maude Translation)
18831 A New England Girlhood, Outlined from Memory (Version 2)
18713 Lud-in-the-Mist
19410 State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents (1970 - 1974)
16372 The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Version 2 Dramatic Reading)
19229 Short Science Fiction Collection 093
18381 White Mountain Trails
19253 The Great Beach
18632 The Feather
19147 Stanton White: A Romance of the New South
19255 The Incomparableness of God
19069 Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 36, July 6, 1880
19297 The Grandfathers' War
19382 The Mantle and Other Stories
17367 Whose Body? (Version 2 - dramatic reading)
19281 By Scarlet Torch and Blade
19038 Pirates of Venus
19053 The Sin of Monsieur Antoine, Volume 2
19096 The Bobbsey Twins at the County Fair
18828 The Return of Don Quixote
19041 A Spray of Lilac, and Other Poems and Songs
19210 In the Wilderness (Version 2)
19312 Clergymen of the Church of England (Version 2)
18293 American Hero-Myths: A Study in the Native Religions of the Western Continent
19319 Selected Poems
19078 The Arrow of Fire
19097 The Beautiful Mrs. Davenant
19370 Nightwind
19243 New Poems
19296 In a German Pension, Version 2
17605 The Man Who Was Thursday, A Nightmare (Version 3, Dramatic Reading)
17503 Winnie-the-Pooh (Version 5, Dramatic Reading)
18818 Neighbourhood – A Year’s Life in and About an English Village (version 2)
18882 Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern, volume 17
19012 The Human Drift
19043 The Motor Boys; or, Chums Through Thick and Thin
18908 The Golden Bough. A Study in Magic and Religion. Part 5. The Spirits Of The Corn And Of The Wild. Volume 1.
19198 Samson Agonistes (Version 2)
19333 Christian Home Life
19334 The Snarl of the Beast
19371 A Treatise on Death
18616 The Temple
18919 The Life of King Henry V (version 2)
19180 The Ghost Hunters
6248 Introduction à la vie dévote
18855 A Pickle For the Knowing Ones
18864 Four Phases of Love
18709 The Pot of Gold and Other Stories
19073 Fame and Fortune Weekly No. 15: A Streak of Luck
19346 The Pride That Comes After
19175 Now We Are Six
19344 The Spirit of the Curé of Ars
18724 Seen and Unseen
18726 Multilingual Short Works Collection 034 - Poetry & Prose

NOTE: For some mysterious reason the italicized titles above sorted to the top of the list instead of where they are on the Titles page, but I checked and they are all there.

I am so pleased to realize that by referencing the Titles from the Home Page, this job could be done once a month now, and kept up, without taking up too much of anyone's time. And as aforesaid, only 24 of these need book links added, so that shouldn't take too long, and once made, the bold letters could be removed. (No, I don't think you can sort by Bold, but it's a good visual distinction of what still needs doing.
Last edited by msfry on July 8th, 2023, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote: July 5th, 2023, 5:53 pm If you sort Column D, z to a, it will put the most recent date on top, so everything I posted since Short Story Collection is there. I left my titles bold to test that, and it worked. If I highlight and copy these bold titles in the spreadsheet along with their project numbers, sorted most recent entry first, I get this list. Is this what you're looking for?
I meant just the ones that need linking, not all of the titles you did.

But this is great. I'll work on the bold ones. :)

For the record, yesterday and today I worked more on the author list, too. That one's harder to work with, since so many authors have projects still in progress.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

New projects Wikipedia pages checked and linked, titles unbolded, list sorted back to normal. 8-) Thanks for the help!
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: July 5th, 2023, 5:58 pm For the record, yesterday and today I worked more on the author list, too. That one's harder to work with, since so many authors have projects still in progress.
So what is your process with the authors? It occurs to me that while visiting each catalogued project for June, I could have notated the presence of "Author Links" too. Knowing hat might save a few steps opening them all up again.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That might catch new authors, but will also contain a bunch of authors already in the system and flagged. :hmm:

General workflow for authors (admin access only part):
1 - Go into the author database (admin only) and pull all the recently added authors
2 - Put them in the spreadsheet (author number, name, DOB/DOD, author link which may be Wikipedia or other site)

To actually go through them (this part could be done by anyone):

1 - In the spreadsheet, under the Tools > Filter View menu item, choose "en.wikipedia.org, blank column I". This is supposed to pull out all author rows that have an English Wikipedia link and that don't have a "Yes" indicating it's been linked back to LV. The filter is flaky, though, and often returns authors with other sites besides English Wikipedia.

One doesn't HAVE to use this filter, but it sure makes the job easier!

I have been making notes in column K ("Comments") about if an author only has one work in a collection (not worth linking, especially when it's a very short piece), if the only project for that author is still in progress, or if there are no works showing in the catalog. These eventually have to be all looked at again - the "no works in catalog" happens most often when they're part of a collection in progress.

2 - Go through the list, especially the ones with no notes or "in progress", and check their author page to see if the project is done.
- If they have a completed project, add the link at Wikipedia and update the spreadsheet accordingly with "Yes" in column I and your name in column K.
- If they don't have a completed project, or no projects showing, or just a section in a collection, leave the I column blank and add the comments to column K.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Now, that there sounds like real "fiddly work"! :roll:
I used to do this without admin access to "new authors", but I suspect that cuts down quite a bit on steps required.
If you'd like me to take on adding in the books once a month, I'll be glad to help. I could create the Wikipedia links too.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sure, sounds great! As often as you choose to do it - once a month, every two weeks, whatever. And yes, make the links, too. I'm sure you're comfortable with that part since you're the one that got ME started on it! 8-)

Yeah, being able to copy the list of authors, then copy/paste them into the author spreadsheet, is a lot easier than manually going to each author page and adding each one by one. :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: July 6th, 2023, 8:25 am Sure, sounds great! As often as you choose to do it - once a month, every two weeks, whatever. And yes, make the links, too. I'm sure you're comfortable with that part since you're the one that got ME started on it! 8-)
I never expected you to take on the whole project. It was a most welcome surprise. And now that it's all caught up, let's not let it get behind again. I'll do it awhile, streamline/document the process, then maybe pass it on to another able volunteer. Any BC who wants to add in their own link, still needs to post their work here as described in the first post and on our wiki page: Wikipedia Links.

By the way, leaving in the space DOES affect the sort by title. The best solution is to have the cell accept pasted in text in the designated 10 pt type. Maybe David can fix that. Til that happens, one workaround is to paste it into the cell after a space, then go back and erase the space; another is to choose the cell then paste the text in the text line ABOVE the chart.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

TriciaG wrote: July 5th, 2023, 1:16 pm Are you talking bout in the AudioBooks tab (the whole list of projects)? When I copy off the LV catalog page and paste in there, it ends up being 24 point, not 1 point.

What I do, when pasting a title into the title column, is hit the space bar first, then delete the space, then paste the title. That makes sure it's the correct format because it's basically typing it in. But I work with the keyboard to copy/paste, so your mileage may vary.

However, I wasn't asking you to put anything in the spreadsheet, but just in a separate list to put here - unless you are doing the whole thing by adding the LV links to Wikipedia?
I wonder why we even have that first Yes/No column, since not having a link in Column E is an obvious NO in Column C, and having one is a YES. (This is different from the Yes/No in Column F, which we do need confirmation on as we can't see the page.
Ha! True! It was David O who made the spreadsheet, I think. That's a good question for him. :)
Sorry for the late response. The reason for 2 Yes/No columns is that at one point I was working the spreadsheet based on information from Librivox and someone else was simultaneously working on the spreadsheet based on information from Wikipedia. Transitioning to this spreadsheet was a bit chaotic in the beginning.

If it is no longer needed, make the change.

David O
msfry

Post by msfry »

dlolso21 wrote: July 7th, 2023, 4:52 pm
TriciaG wrote: July 5th, 2023, 1:16 pm Are you talking bout in the AudioBooks tab (the whole list of projects)? When I copy off the LV catalog page and paste in there, it ends up being 24 point, not 1 point.

What I do, when pasting a title into the title column, is hit the space bar first, then delete the space, then paste the title. That makes sure it's the correct format because it's basically typing it in. But I work with the keyboard to copy/paste, so your mileage may vary.

However, I wasn't asking you to put anything in the spreadsheet, but just in a separate list to put here - unless you are doing the whole thing by adding the LV links to Wikipedia?
I wonder why we even have that first Yes/No column, since not having a link in Column E is an obvious NO in Column C, and having one is a YES. (This is different from the Yes/No in Column F, which we do need confirmation on as we can't see the page.
Ha! True! It was David O who made the spreadsheet, I think. That's a good question for him. :)
Sorry for the late response. The reason for 2 Yes/No columns is that at one point I was working the spreadsheet based on information from Librivox and someone else was simultaneously working on the spreadsheet based on information from Wikipedia. Transitioning to this spreadsheet was a bit chaotic in the beginning.

If it is no longer needed, make the change.

David O
Is this a correct assumption?: If the Book # is entered in Column A, and the Title is entered in column B, then the book is in the catalog. If the answer to that is an unequivocal YES, then we don't need the Yes/No column C and it will be safe to ax it, because we will know it's a Yes if a Wikipedia link appears in Column E. And if it does not appear, then there is no link on the Catalog page.

But a Wikipedia page could be there and not linked, or made at some future time. I presume the BC's job is to report that on the Template Generator, and the MC's job to double check that as well. But errors can be made and things do change, so how do we go about checking on that once in awhile? Or do we?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think your assumptions are all correct. Go forth and delete the column!

If an invalid Wikipedia link gets cataloged, I think the last line of defense (if the MC doesn't catch it) is this linking job. If you (or whoever linking the Wikipedia page back to LV) clicks on it, and it's wrong, it would need to be reported back as an error - either to the MC, or just through the Error Reports forum.

And that's very possible. When adding covers or doing some of these links myself, I've found "tba" or "none" or other non-links - or a link to the author - in the Wikipedia book field, that the MC didn't catch. :?

No one regularly checks old projects to see if there are new Wikipedia pages for them - or even ones that were there but not added when setting up the project. A very diligent MC might check to see if there's one, but it's not on our list of essential tasks.

I've worked on a "version 2" and gone back to add the Wikipedia link to version 1.
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: July 7th, 2023, 5:36 pm I think your assumptions are all correct. Go forth and delete the column!
"Right click Column C. Delete Column." Easy enough. And David also says "make the change". So here goes. . . . . and it's done.
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: July 7th, 2023, 5:36 pm I think your assumptions are all correct. Go forth and delete the column!

If an invalid Wikipedia link gets cataloged, I think the last line of defense (if the MC doesn't catch it) is this linking job. If you (or whoever linking the Wikipedia page back to LV) clicks on it, and it's wrong, it would need to be reported back as an error - either to the MC, or just through the Error Reports forum.

And that's very possible. When adding covers or doing some of these links myself, I've found "tba" or "none" or other non-links - or a link to the author - in the Wikipedia book field, that the MC didn't catch. :?

No one regularly checks old projects to see if there are new Wikipedia pages for them - or even ones that were there but not added when setting up the project. A very diligent MC might check to see if there's one, but it's not on our list of essential tasks.

I've worked on a "version 2" and gone back to add the Wikipedia link to version 1.
Yes if we click on the Wikipedia link on the Catalog Page and it takes us anywhere else, we should report that to the MC, who can make the correction. I've done that. I don't generally go the next step and hunt for a correct link, but I guess we could take on that duty and if there is one, add the link back to LV.

Asking MC's to double check for Wikipedia book pages seems reasonable to me. I thought they already did. It's just a simple search, and being as it isn't "required" on the template generator, BC's might not feel compelled to include it. That makes us "the last line of defense" indeed.