[COMPLETE] A Selection from the Norse Tales for the Use of Children by Sir George-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DoodleProductions

Post by DoodleProductions »

I'm happy to take Chapter 8. The Fox as Herdsman.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/norsetales_08_dasent_128kb.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Larry, I'm going to go ahead and move us over to Readers Wanted. I was hoping we'd pick up a DPL by now, but there is a high demand for them at the moment!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DoodleProductions wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:33 pm I'm happy to take Chapter 8. The Fox as Herdsman.

Thank you for your interest in this project.
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

From the instructions for this, and all, projects under Point 2

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that post again here with your request and also let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

DoodleProductions wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:33 pm I'm happy to take Chapter 8. The Fox as Herdsman.

Welcome to LibriVox! I am glad that you are so excited to jump in and start volunteering! As Larry said, though, you missed a few steps along the way. :wink:

You do actually have a volume issue that would have been corrected in your test. More info on that test process here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test This recording comes in at about 79 dB, which is quite low. We aim for 89 dB, with an allowable range of 86-92. You could amplify this recording by 9 or 10 dB, and that would put you very comfortably in the right range. Or you could increase the input level from your microphone and re-record. (I recommend that you do this before you record future sections, so that you are already in the right volume range and don't need to amplify.) The good news is that your recording is very clean and doesn't need any noise reduction, even after amplifying. If you need detailed help in getting the right volume, the best thing to do is to make a test (follow the link above) and post it in Listeners Wanted, rather than having a side conversation here in this thread.

The other step you missed was claiming the section you want, before recording it. Again, this is to save you from fruitless work. If you had been busy recording this section while someone else was also recording it, and then you both submitted them, then someone would have to miss out. :( It seems unlikely, but it has happened. So always be sure to post in the thread first, claiming the section you want to read.

Since this section is so short, I took the liberty of listening to the whole thing, and I really like your narration style! I heard a couple of things that need to be corrected.

1:06 There is an added word here that changes the action. The text here reads: “Whither away, Goody?” asked the Wolf. I hear: “Whither away, Goody?” she asked the Wolf.
3:02 This sentence "End of A Selection from the Norse Tales for the Use of Children, by Sir George Webbe Dasent," should only be included in the last section of the project.

After you adjust your volume and correct these spots, you can post the new recording here, and Larry will take it from there!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks, Devorah. I appreciate the extra effort. I meant to address his recording.
Yes, DPLs are becoming harder to come by. I still have a project that I've advertised for and still no takers.
I'm holding off on several projects that I'd like to launch for that very reason. I'm pretty full on the DPL projects I'm doing, so it's pretty tight.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: February 4th, 2021, 9:30 pm Thanks, Devorah. I appreciate the extra effort. I meant to address his recording.
Yes, DPLs are becoming harder to come by. I still have a project that I've advertised for and still no takers.
I'm holding off on several projects that I'd like to launch for that very reason. I'm pretty full on the DPL projects I'm doing, so it's pretty tight.
Don't mention it. I had the time and the inclination. :)

I don't think we have any fewer DPLs than before, but we just have so many more projects running! It's a good problem to have, I think. 8-)
DoodleProductions

Thank you all for the help! I appreciate you taking the time to give me some guidance. I have a feeling I understand why I'm lacking gain. I can get that fixed. I need to pick up a cloudlifter. My focusrite isn't feeding my mic enough gain. I'll get these things corrected and follow these suggestions asap! Thanks team! Looking forward to working with you all.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DoodleProductions wrote: February 5th, 2021, 7:48 am Thank you all for the help! I appreciate you taking the time to give me some guidance. I have a feeling I understand why I'm lacking gain. I can get that fixed. I need to pick up a cloudlifter. My focusrite isn't feeding my mic enough gain. I'll get these things corrected and follow these suggestions asap! Thanks team! Looking forward to working with you all.
Sounds good.
Also, don't forget to let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname.
~ Larry
DoodleProductions

Yes that would be great! Jessica Romero would be the name I use. Thank you!
DoodleProductions

I made quite a few adjustments. I hope this is more suitable. I employed the use of a cloudlifter to get some more gain.

Amendis

Post by Amendis »

Hi! May I please claim Section 4: Boots Who Ate a Match with the Troll? Thank you!
CadenB

Post by CadenB »

Hi,

I was wondering if I could claim section 7 (The Giant Who Had No Heart in His Body) and section 9 (The Cat on the Dovrefell)?

Thank you,

CadenB
SoundsLikeJack

Post by SoundsLikeJack »

May I take on number 9, The Cat on the Dovrefell, and number 19, Why the Bear Is Stumpy-Tailed?
In reading books for my family I have voiced polar bears a number of times and I'm very excited to break out the bear voice again!
“It’s still magic even if you know how it’s done.” A Hat Full of Sky, Terry Pratchett.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DoodleProductions wrote: February 6th, 2021, 10:49 am I made quite a few adjustments. I hope this is more suitable. I employed the use of a cloudlifter to get some more gain.

Thank you!
I've marked this Ready for PL, but we do request that you also give us the file length mm:ss when you post the link.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Amendis wrote: February 6th, 2021, 2:31 pm Hi! May I please claim Section 4: Boots Who Ate a Match with the Troll? Thank you!
Thank you!
I've assigned this to you, but please let me know how you would like to be listed in the LV catalog - real name, pseudonym or any nickname you wish.
~ Larry