COMPLETE Green Valley by Katharine Yirsa Reynolds - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Huge thanks.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

This book looks interesting! I cannot DPL, but I can do some PLing this weekend if you are okay with using someone who is new to it? I have read the instructions in the newbies forum already and seems pretty straightforward.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi, welcome to Librivox. Everyone was new at some point, and this is a great place to start. Have fun and if you have questions just ask.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

Chapter 2 PL-
Sounded good to me! I am new to this so I am just going to list every minor thing and please let me know whether these things are even worth mentioning in future.

03:30 missing word but does not change meaning of text: “One still SPRING morning”
04:50 recording says tree-shaped roads but should be tree-shaded roads
09:48 hotel and livery barn, livery should be pronounced li-ver-y not lie-ver-y
18:13 schooner should be pronounced skoo-ner, not shoo-ner
18:53 and 19:05 settee should be pronounced set-tei and not set-tee
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

Chapter 3 and 6 PL
I think some of these comments are probably too minor to change, but I am new so just going to list them all and let you/BC decide what, if anything, to fix.

Overall I could hear some minor breath noises. Not sure if there is an easy way for you to fix that or not for your future recordings. Also at the beginning and end of your clips I can hear light clicking sounds. Almost sounds like it might be your computer mouse.

Chapter 3
04:52 stumble, “and asked hi-his advice”
05:20 awkward pause, “and that he could start out ... on his next trip”
05:47 minor word wrong “swiftest little horse in the country” country should actually be county

Chapter 6
0:35 pause “un...til they see Fanny Foster”
03:39 pause “is that in ... her own house”
12:20 pause “Sam was out that ... afternoon”
13:54 pauses “those two grandchildren of hern... will ... be about all”
14:10 pause “he never missed his ... train twice in a year”
14:25 stumble “brushed his girls’ ho-hair every Sunday morning”
14:37 stumble “he never f...spends a free hour”
16:14 minor word wrong “answered his smile on call” should be “and call”
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

Chapter 8 PL

Again up to you/BC what of this would actually need updated. This is probably too picky but want to make sure I’m not leaving anything important out.

01:14 “she had to cut the blooms” should be “she had cut the blooms”
04:13 “sisterly solitude” should be “sisterly solicitude”
13:53 pause “on a mellow ... sunny little home town”
18:07 and 20:57 pretty sure “livery” should be pronounced li-ver-y and not lie-ver-y
21:41 “what promises you and I keep” should be “what promises you and I can’t keep”
rerikaj

Post by rerikaj »

ElizaZ wrote: February 6th, 2021, 5:54 pm
Chapter 8 PL

Again up to you/BC what of this would actually need updated. This is probably too picky but want to make sure I’m not leaving anything important out.

18:07 and 20:57 pretty sure “livery” should be pronounced li-ver-y and not lie-ver-y
21:41 “what promises you and I keep” should be “what promises you and I can’t keep”
I will definitely change those, as most of them do change the context. Thanks!
rerikaj

Post by rerikaj »

rerikaj wrote: February 7th, 2021, 3:01 pm
Chapter 8 PL

Okay... this is going to show how much of an amateur I am, but chapter 8 just so happened to be a chapter I recorded where I forgot to save a raw version before editing the file, or even save an edited version before mastering. Ugh... I'm frustrated with myself. I made the changes and tried my best to make those new, quick clips sound like the rest, but I just don't know if it's good enough. If it's not I will have to re-record. I'm sorry. Lesson definitely learned...

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/greenvalley_08_reynolds_128kb.mp3 35:40
rerikaj

Post by rerikaj »

Okay here is the updated Chapter 2. Again, I had to make the changes even though the file was already mastered, so I really think I'm just butchering it further. Let me know if I should start over.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/greenvalley_02_reynolds_128kb.mp3
rerikaj

Post by rerikaj »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow, Erica, thanks for the effort, and for chapter 9. You are a star.
Would you like to read more sections from this book?
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

rerikaj wrote: February 7th, 2021, 3:42 pm
rerikaj wrote: February 7th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Chapter 8 PL

Okay... this is going to show how much of an amateur I am, but chapter 8 just so happened to be a chapter I recorded where I forgot to save a raw version before editing the file, or even save an edited version before mastering. Ugh... I'm frustrated with myself. I made the changes and tried my best to make those new, quick clips sound like the rest, but I just don't know if it's good enough. If it's not I will have to re-record. I'm sorry. Lesson definitely learned...

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/greenvalley_08_reynolds_128kb.mp3 35:40
I don’t know, you sound like a pro to me! I really love your voice. I could barely tell that you had gone back and edited later and wouldn’t have noticed at all if I weren’t listening for it. Chapter 8 PL okay!!
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

rerikaj wrote: February 7th, 2021, 4:22 pm Okay here is the updated Chapter 2. Again, I had to make the changes even though the file was already mastered, so I really think I'm just butchering it further. Let me know if I should start over.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/greenvalley_02_reynolds_128kb.mp3
Nope, this one honestly sounds good to me too. Chapter 2 spot check PL okay!
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

rerikaj wrote: February 7th, 2021, 4:36 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/greenvalley_09_reynolds_128kb.mp3

And here is Chapter 9, 36:32
Chapter 9 PL

I heard just a few minor things

01:56 “tree-shaded roads,” I heard tree-shaped roads
09:59 awkward pause and then missing word “nobody ... now but Nellie Langely who goes home”
10:18 self-effacing think is pronounced eh-FACE-ing with emphasis on second syllable. I heard EH-fuss-ing
26:43 stumble over word conscription
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

If I were to commit to DPL, what is the expected turnaround time, and how long does a project like this usually last? 6 months? A year?