[COMPLETE] Short Stories 1854-1858 by Elizabeth Gaskell - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

eggs4ears wrote: August 30th, 2022, 5:45 am That's the recording done for this collection - almost two years in the making! One more to go which will be contemporary with the All the Year Round collection but from various other journals that I'll have to see if I can track down.
If you really get stuck, you can ask me about specific articles/stories as long as I have some time to look for them. I've no doubt you can find the vast majority, but if there's one really difficult one and you need a hand, you can ask.

One part of one note left for The Manchester Marriage. Just involves deletion.

49.19-49.21, self-correction (added repetitive words), p 585 bottom half second column
[A man came sir] “A man, sir, came to speak to Norah.”
https://www.djo.org.uk/household-words/volume-xviii/page-585.html
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Correction to Part 11 done - I didn't realise that was a mistake. I thought that repetition sounded quite northern - 'A man came, sir. A man, sir, came...' :)

I imagine the final Gaskell pieces (1958-63) will be easy enough to find in collections, and I doubt I'll find most or even any in the original sources> But just in case, do you happen to know if there are online archives of any of these: The Pall Mall Gazette, and Macmillan's, Harpers, Cornhill or Fraser's Magazines?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Okay, that was easier than I thought! I have tracked them all down on Hathi except for a few pieces from the Pall Mall Gazette from 1865 (Volumes 1 & 2), which don't seem to have been published in PD elsewhere. At the moment, I can only see access through the British Newspaper Archive. A 1-month subscription would cost me 12 pounds 99, but would that be a legit source for LV as it is not freely available?
eggs4ears wrote: September 1st, 2022, 7:03 pm I imagine the final Gaskell pieces (1958-63) will be easy enough to find in collections, and I doubt I'll find most or even any in the original sources> But just in case, do you happen to know if there are online archives of any of these: The Pall Mall Gazette, and Macmillan's, Harpers, Cornhill or Fraser's Magazines?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Corrections to parts 8, 9, 10 done and ready for spot PL!
Newgatenovelist

Whoops, I see you've been busy! I'll spot check those chapters soon.

Ugh. I need to get a BNA subscription but I’ve been delaying as I’ve not needed it just yet, so I hadn’t seen the price. This is where I start mithering about the price! My goodness but that’s gone up since last I accessed it.

Whinging aside, as far as I understand it (and this not legal advice), whether or not those copies of the PMG will be suitable for recording on LV will hinge on what rights, if any, the BNA tries to claim on the scans. An old physical copy would be out of copyright (Legamus and LV often let you read from an out-of-copyright print book if there’s no scan), but when there is a ‘middleman’, as in this case, it gets a bit more complicated. Again, that’s my understanding, not necessarily what will apply in this instance.

By any chance, when you had the collected works edition out of the library, did you happen to have taken photos of the first page of each article/story (assuming there was publication info at the top of each article)? If so, you can send those to me, though it might be a forlorn hope.
Newgatenovelist

8-11 are spot PL OK. Goooooooooooooooooooooo!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And we are off ............. and crashed. We've ground to a halt re text links.
Anne

OK I've handled them - we can move again
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne,

I started to put the links to the sources in the metadata this morning and was going to do the rest this afternoon, but I cannot get in to the MW know. Is that because you have closed it after finishing? Anyhow, if it is all good now, that's fine!

Could you also use the version of the summary that is up there now? It was only a couple of lines, so I have expanded it a bit.

Thanks!

Phil
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Yes, I'll have a look at the complete works and see what the introductions say next time I'm in the university.

I don't think that scanning a PD document gives you copyright over the document, but, yes, LV may have concerns over that. I was thinking more whether it is okay, given that other people would not have access to the text without a subscription.

Just for the record, this is what lies behind the door...

A Column of Gossip from Paris - Volume 1, 25 March 1865
A Column of Gossip from Paris - Volume 1, 28 March 1865
A Letter of Gossip from Paris - Volume 1, 25 April 1865
A Parson’s Holiday - Volume 2, August-September (5 short pieces)

Incidentally, A Gaskell afficionado (perhaps you know her?) has recorded A Parson's Holiday and put it on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jDbSoeqH_A
Newgatenovelist wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 9:51 am Whoops, I see you've been busy! I'll spot check those chapters soon.

Ugh. I need to get a BNA subscription but I’ve been delaying as I’ve not needed it just yet, so I hadn’t seen the price. This is where I start mithering about the price! My goodness but that’s gone up since last I accessed it.

Whinging aside, as far as I understand it (and this not legal advice), whether or not those copies of the PMG will be suitable for recording on LV will hinge on what rights, if any, the BNA tries to claim on the scans. An old physical copy would be out of copyright (Legamus and LV often let you read from an out-of-copyright print book if there’s no scan), but when there is a ‘middleman’, as in this case, it gets a bit more complicated. Again, that’s my understanding, not necessarily what will apply in this instance.

By any chance, when you had the collected works edition out of the library, did you happen to have taken photos of the first page of each article/story (assuming there was publication info at the top of each article)? If so, you can send those to me, though it might be a forlorn hope.
Newgatenovelist

eggs4ears wrote: September 4th, 2022, 1:04 am Yes, I'll have a look at the complete works and see what the introductions say next time I'm in the university.

I don't think that scanning a PD document gives you copyright over the document, but, yes, LV may have concerns over that. I was thinking more whether it is okay, given that other people would not have access to the text without a subscription.
To be frank I think it's a long shot, but if you want to send me the first couple of lines or paragraph from what you find in the modern edition, please do. I think the PMG is paywalled, but there's a slim chance these articles were reprinted elsewhere (some of ECG's work was). Don't hold your breath, but if you want to snap some photos and pass them on (don't type out a lot of text!) that's probably the last resource.

You'd be astounded at what some modern companies claim puts work under copyright. I'm not denying the effort that goes into digitising sources, in this instance, but I thought I'd mention it before we move ahead.

It's in my head that we've both read and/or PLed projects that didn't have a freely available text link, but by all means, check!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well - all done and put to catalogue complete with cover. I thought it would better to match the cover and the maker hasn't been around for many years so I did a bit of creative fiddling
Thank you both.
This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here: https://librivox.org/short-stories-household-words-1854-58-by-elizabeth-cleghorn-gaskell/

:thumbs: :clap: :thumbs: :clap: :thumbs:

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks Anne and Erin for an epic effort - this has taken almost 2 years :9: :clap: :clap: :9:

The cover worked a treat and it is nice to have the same theme. But would you mind checking the summary on LV/IA? I think it is an older version - I expanded it sometime near the end to say something about the individual pieces:

Elizabeth Gaskell published 18 short works in Charles Dickens' Household Words between 1850 and 1858. This collection follows the Librivox collection of the 1850-1853 works, with recordings of 7 Household Words pieces published between 1854 and 1858. The collection includes two of Gaskell's most important shorter works: Half a Lifetime Ago, set in the English Lake District, and The Poor Clare, in which the bewitched heroine is pursued by a mischievous double. The Sin of a Father and The Manchester Marriage are both tales with a message. The collection begins with three documentary pieces that emerged from Gaskell's travels in France.

Thanks again!

Phil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Summary updated. Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks!