Unrecorded PD books from the Ballantine and Newcastle Fantasy series

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
retroindiereader

Post by retroindiereader »

I've been getting into the Ballantine and Newcastle fantasy series lately and while looking for the books from there I noticed that a few of the public domain novels featured there have not been recorded here yet.

Ballantine series:

The Sundering Flood
The Water of the Wondrous Isles
Figures of Earth
Domnei: A Comedy of Woman-Worship
The Music from Behind the Moon
Domnei, The music from behind the moon (edition with both of the above books)
The Cream of the Jest
The Lineage of Lichfield
The High Place
The Silver Stallion
Kai Lung Unrolls His Mat

Newcastle series:

Gerfalcon
Joris of the Rock
When the Birds Fly South
Last edited by retroindiereader on January 3rd, 2024, 1:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
~Shaun

Current Solo Projects:
retroindiereader

Here's a few more from the Ballantine series that entered the public domain at the start of the year and have yet to be recorded:

The Silver Stallion by James Branch Cabell

Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (US PD only) (Completed)

I've also looked into the unrecorded books from the Newcastle Forgotten Fantasy Library and it looks like one of them, When the Birds Fly South by Stanton A. Coblentz, didn't have its copyright renewed and has a recent Gutenberg clearance.

Both series have a book entering the US public domain in a couple weeks. The Ballantine series has the last Cabell book in it, Something About Eve, and the Newcastle one has Gerfalcon by Leslie Barringer.
Last edited by retroindiereader on December 31st, 2023, 9:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
~Shaun

Current Solo Projects:
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

retroindiereader wrote: December 17th, 2022, 12:31 pm Here's a few more from the Ballantine series that entered the public domain at the start of the year and have yet to be recorded:

Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (US PD only)
Oh my goodness yes please! Well spotted!

I've posted it to Launch Pad as a solo project.
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
retroindiereader

Now that it's 2023, Something About Eve and Gerfalcon are PD in the US.

Something About Eve (completed)

That should be all of the Cabell books from the Ballantine series in their original form. The final revisions for all of them (published 1927-1930) are a couple of years away.

Gerfalcon
Last edited by retroindiereader on April 21st, 2023, 7:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
~Shaun

Current Solo Projects:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

retroindiereader wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:16 am Now that it's 2023, Something About Eve and Gerfalcon are PD in the US.

Something About Eve

That should be all of the Cabell books from the Ballantine series in their original form. The final revisions for all of them (published 1927-1930) are a couple of years away.

Gerfalcon
I'm tempted to do Something About Eve just to experience Cabell's particular brand of weirdness...
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

flavo5000 wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 7:27 am I'm tempted to do Something About Eve just to experience Cabell's particular brand of weirdness...
Something about Eve is posted to PG now from the fadedpage edition.

Greg
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

retroindiereader wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:16 am Now that it's 2023, Something About Eve and Gerfalcon are PD in the US.

Something About Eve

Gerfalcon
I just kicked off a solo project for Something About Eve, so that one can be struck from the list.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Some other Cabells to add to your list:
The Music from Behind the Moon (1926):
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Music_from_Behind_the_Moon/MwA-AAAAMAAJ
This was released as a bonus novella with Domnei in the Ballantine series.

The Lineage of Lichfield (1922):
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Lineage_of_Lichfield/NIUoAQAAIAAJ
This was a bonus novella included in the Ballantine release of Cream of the Jest

There's another novella called The Way of Echben that was included in the Ballantine collection The Young Magicians that should be PD next year I think?

There are several other unrecorded Cabell books but they weren't released by Ballantine for whatever reason.
retroindiereader

Great suggestions.

The Music from Behind the Moon and The Lineage of Lichfield were included with the final versions of Domnei and Cream of the Jest, the ones Ballantine reprinted. While those editions (published in 1928 and 1930 respectively) aren't PD yet, their components certainly are.

It looks like The Way of Echben was published in 1929. That one will have to wait until 2025, though a few other selections from The Young Magicians are currently PD including the William Morris poem "Rapunzel," the final chapter of E. R. Eddison's 1926 novel Styrbiorn the Strong and A. Merritt's 1917 short story Through the Dragon Glass, though I haven't found a PD source for that one.
~Shaun

Current Solo Projects:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

retroindiereader wrote: April 21st, 2023, 8:05 am Great suggestions.

The Music from Behind the Moon and The Lineage of Lichfield were included with the final versions of Domnei and Cream of the Jest, the ones Ballantine reprinted. While those editions (published in 1928 and 1930 respectively) aren't PD yet, their components certainly are.

It looks like The Way of Echben was published in 1929. That one will have to wait until 2025, though a few other selections from The Young Magicians are currently PD including the William Morris poem "Rapunzel," the final chapter of E. R. Eddison's 1926 novel Styrbiorn the Strong and A. Merritt's 1917 short story Through the Dragon Glass, though I haven't found a PD source for that one.
Yep, I was actually just looking for Through the Dragon Glass (I'm recording Merritt's The Face in the Abyss right now). It's pretty annoying because Merritt seemed to write a lot of for Argosy All-Story Weekly. A bunch of his stuff is PD but All-Story Weekly is very spotty in terms of scans available online.
retroindiereader

Updated the link for When the Birds Fly South now that it's been posted to Project Gutenberg.
~Shaun

Current Solo Projects:
retroindiereader

One more book from both of these series just entered the public domain here, and the last novels we'll get from either of them for awhile.

The Ballantine series has Kai Lung Unrolls His Mat
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001185911?type%5B%5D=title&lookfor%5B%5D=kai%20lung%20unrolls&ft=

The Newcastle series has the second Barringer book, Joris of the Rock, but the only scan I've found of that one is from Hathi of the 1929 U.S. edition which has been in full view for awhile now.
~Shaun

Current Solo Projects:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

retroindiereader wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 8:07 am
The Newcastle series has the second Barringer book, Joris of the Rock, but the only scan I've found of that one is from Hathi of the 1929 U.S. edition which has been in full view for awhile now.
If Hathitrust has it available for Full View, then that means it didn't have its copyright renewed and is available to record. So it could be added to the first post as well.
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

retroindiereader wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 8:07 am One more book from both of these series just entered the public domain here, and the last novels we'll get from either of them for awhile.

The Ballantine series has Kai Lung Unrolls His Mat
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001185911?type%5B%5D=title&lookfor%5B%5D=kai%20lung%20unrolls&ft=

pgdpcanada has this in progress right now.
https://www.pgdpcanada.net/c/project.php?id=p191229001

I'm pretty sure their version will clear for PG-US when they complete it if you are looking for a text rather than page images.

Greg