COMPLETE [GROUP MUSIC] [Multilingual] Christmas Carol Collection 2020-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

jennlea wrote: December 16th, 2020, 7:15 am Here are my 2 contributions. Please let me know if I have left out any necessary information since this is my first time participating in the Christmas Carol Collection :)

Name of Carol: He is Born
Name of Carol: Let All That Are to Mirth Inclined
:clap: This was a magnificent debut in the Christmas Carol Collection, Jenn! You may take a bow!
I hadn't heard these lyrics to "He is Born" before, but only the more familiar "Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella". I love it when someone turns up an alternate version of a familiar carol!
Both songs are beautifully performed, and both are PL OK!
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

commonsparrow3 wrote: December 16th, 2020, 4:25 pm :clap: This was a magnificent debut in the Christmas Carol Collection, Jenn! You may take a bow!
I hadn't heard these lyrics to "He is Born" before, but only the more familiar "Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella". I love it when someone turns up an alternate version of a familiar carol!
Both songs are beautifully performed, and both are PL OK!
Thank you for your kind words, Maria! It was a lot of fun and I will look forward to participating in the collection again next year!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Here is the choral version of "Away in a Manger"! This year we had 23 participants.

"Away in a Manger" Group Song
Language: English
Source (Murray's tune): https://digital.library.pitt.edu/islandora/object/pitt%3A00z426609m (The song is found on page 110 of the book: https://digital.library.pitt.edu/islandora/object/pitt%3A00z426609m/viewer#page/114/mode/2up)
Source (Kirkpatrick's tune): https://brbl-dl.library.yale.edu/vufind/Record/3446568 (The song is found on page 11 of the book: https://brbl-media.library.yale.edu/images/1367937_quarter.jpg)
Music: William J. Kirkpatrick (1838-1921), James Ramsey Murray (1841-1905)
Words: Unknown
Duration: 2:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/ccc20_awayinamanger_group_128kb.mp3

List of contributors:
adrianstephens
benderca
commonsparrow3
cschickcs
emminz
fiddlesticks
GillH
HannahMB
HLinnae
JayKitty76
Kaffen
Lucille (she is the wife of JamesJenkins, but she does not have a LibriVox account herself)
McScotty
NishthaRocks
Patrick79
Pianolil
rieyrules
ryfink
stoogeswoman
Sue Anderson
TriciaG
Twinkle88
WiltedScribe
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Twinkle88 wrote: December 16th, 2020, 7:30 pm Here is the choral version of "Away in a Manger"! This year we had 23 participants.
Yay! Thank you, Twinkle! I just had a quick listen, and it sounds chorally impressive, especially the harmonized third verse!
I'm leaving for work in a few minutes, so I'm short of time this morning, but I'll check the tech specs and enter all the names it in the MW when I get home this afternoon.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

commonsparrow3 wrote: December 17th, 2020, 5:04 am ... and enter all the names it in the MW when I get home this afternoon.
Not sure if you're aware, but if it's easier, you can enter a string of reader numbers separated by commas and the system will associate them all with names. It works sweet for final chapters in DRs. I create the list in word and then copy/paste into the "assign reader sections" box.

MaryAnn
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 17th, 2020, 10:46 amNot sure if you're aware, but if it's easier, you can enter a string of reader numbers separated by commas and the system will associate them all with names. It works sweet for final chapters in DRs. I create the list in word and then copy/paste into the "assign reader sections" box.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn -
Thank you for this tip! I tried it out, and it didn't really save me any time in this case. I had to spend about a half-hour looking up each person's reader number, which wasn't any faster than just entering the readers in the usual manner. But I stuck with it anyway, because I wanted to try out this new trick for future use. When I finally copied in the list of numbers, and all the names filled themselves in, it was like a wonderful bit of magic! I think in future, if I know in advance that I'm going to want to do this, I will look up each reader's number at the time they submit their file, and keep a running list as I went along, instead of having to look up the entire batch in one go. That way, it really will save me a substantial amount of time. So it's going to be a very nice method to keep in mind for future use!

I have one question about the metadata for this choral number. Twinkle combined two different melodies for this carol, which came from two different sources. But it looks like it'll only allow me to enter one source in the metadata. What should I do?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Well, it helps if all the readers are in the MW for reading parts in a DW, because then you can hover over their name to pick up their number.

Anyway, just enter one source. They are both PD and if we ever need to know the second source, it's documented in the thread.

MaryAnn
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

commonsparrow3 wrote: December 17th, 2020, 5:04 am
Twinkle88 wrote: December 16th, 2020, 7:30 pm Here is the choral version of "Away in a Manger"! This year we had 23 participants.
Yay! Thank you, Twinkle! I just had a quick listen, and it sounds chorally impressive, especially the harmonized third verse!
I'm leaving for work in a few minutes, so I'm short of time this morning, but I'll check the tech specs and enter all the names it in the MW when I get home this afternoon.
I checked the tech specs, and everything is fine and dandy! This carol is PL OK!!

Having now listened to this chorus playing over in the background while I was entering the names, I have to say that it only gets better with each time I hear it! You outdid yourself this year, Twinkle! Combining two different tunes was really a stretch in terms of complicating your work, but the result is A-1! Thank you!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 17th, 2020, 2:42 pm Well, it helps if all the readers are in the MW for reading parts in a DW, because then you can hover over their name to pick up their number.

Anyway, just enter one source. They are both PD and if we ever need to know the second source, it's documented in the thread.

MaryAnn
Will do!
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

commonsparrow3 wrote: December 17th, 2020, 2:40 pm I think in future, if I know in advance that I'm going to want to do this, I will look up each reader's number at the time they submit their file, and keep a running list as I went along, instead of having to look up the entire batch in one go. That way, it really will save me a substantial amount of time.
Next time (--if there is a "next time" :lol: --), I'll send you a list of the reader numbers, Maria. Wish I had thought of that. :?
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

commonsparrow3 wrote: December 17th, 2020, 2:44 pm I checked the tech specs, and everything is fine and dandy! This carol is PL OK!!

Having now listened to this chorus playing over in the background while I was entering the names, I have to say that it only gets better with each time I hear it! You outdid yourself this year, Twinkle! Combining two different tunes was really a stretch in terms of complicating your work, but the result is A-1! Thank you!
Why, thank you! :9: :9: I know we've already done this group song thing twice, but I really learned a lot more about Audacity this time. :) -- How to get the timing of everyone's singing more lined up.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Twinkle88 wrote: December 17th, 2020, 4:14 pmWhy, thank you! :9: :9: I know we've already done this group song thing twice, but I really learned a lot more about Audacity this time. :) -- How to get the timing of everyone's singing more lined up.
You learned how to better sync music tracks -- and I learned how to enter a brand-new reader for their first section, and how to speed up entering multiple names in the MW. I love learning new LV stuff! Isn't it fun?
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Just a reminder to everyone that tomorrow, Saturday, is the deadline to get your carols in to this project.
If anyone is still working on a carol and intending to get it to me at the last minute, give me a heads-up today, so I'll be waiting for you.
Also, Gillian, could you let me know what we are doing about your carol accompaniment?

MaryAnn -- I am working on Saturday, so I wouldn't be available to finish and catalog this until evening. I am not working on Sunday, so I'd have lots of time then. Which would work better for you as our cataloging time -- Saturday night or Sunday morning?
We will need to tweak the summary before cataloging to reflect the number and languages of this year's carols, and I'll need to add this last-minute info, as well as the total recording time, to the cover, which is otherwise ready.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Maria,

I can work on this Saturday night, but not Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon is a good time for me to work on LV. There's no predicting how long a project will take to derive at Archive ... so we can only get so close to a target release date/time.

I you upload your cover files to my folder, I can add them to the Archive file before I finalize the project.

MaryAnn
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 18th, 2020, 10:23 am Maria,

I can work on this Saturday night, but not Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon is a good time for me to work on LV. There's no predicting how long a project will take to derive at Archive ... so we can only get so close to a target release date/time.

I you upload your cover files to my folder, I can add them to the Archive file before I finalize the project.

MaryAnn
If Sunday afternoon is good for you, it's also good for me. That way, neither of us will have to feel rushed. And people who still need time to get in last minute entries on Saturday won't have to fret about the cut off time.