COMPLETE: Woman Suffrage and Politics by Carrie Chapman Catt and Nettie Rogers Shuler -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

adr6090 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 5:26 pm Hello,
Knowing this is the month to clean up I would like to help out and read section 32- The struggle for the 36th state" & also section 37- "the states that didn't ratify". Let me know please.
Thanks! 32 & 37 are assigned as requested. :)
Jo
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:49 pm
adr6090 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 5:26 pm Hello,
Knowing this is the month to clean up I would like to help out and read section 32- The struggle for the 36th state" & also section 37- "the states that didn't ratify". Let me know please.
Thanks! 32 & 37 are assigned as requested. :)
Wonderful, thanks.
April
CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

I would be honored to claim the last one standing, Section 35.
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
czandra

Post by czandra »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/womansuffrage_27_catt_128kb.mp3
20mins 48s

What an amazing story. How did things get to such a pass, such resistance - such mirrors of the present day! Thanks for this opportunity.

Czandra
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
czandra

Post by czandra »

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: March 10th, 2021, 4:05 am I would be honored to claim the last one standing, Section 35.
Great! Thanks. :)
Jo
Peaceblossom

Post by Peaceblossom »

I have finished recording Section 19. I have done my best to follow all of the requirements, but I fear some things may have slipped through the cracks on this, my first recording (other than the test).

I also have concerns about the length of time I am pausing between sentences, thoughts, and paragraphs.

I have not mastered the editing process. I think my new inserted/replaced words and lines sound oddly out of place and louder than the rest of the recording. Help! ( :

There was one particularly long footnote that came in the middle of a sentence. I read the footnote at the end of the sentence so it would not interfere with the continuity of thought.

I tried to indicate short quotations with a change of voice, but in one case the quotation was long so I used, "quote/end quote."

I am eager to hear your advice and corrections.

Thanks, Peaceblossom

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/womansuffrage_19_catt_128kb.mp3
length 26:02
Last edited by Peaceblossom on March 10th, 2021, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

czandra wrote: March 10th, 2021, 7:52 am https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/womansuffrage_27_catt_128kb.mp3
20mins 48s

What an amazing story. How did things get to such a pass, such resistance - such mirrors of the present day! Thanks for this opportunity.

Czandra
Thanks for both of your files, Czandra. Glad you enjoyed reading them. It is truly amazing what these women went through to get the right to vote. Here is another account worth reading/listening to that was recorded for LV in 2009.

https://librivox.org/jailed-for-freedom-by-doris-stevens/
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Peaceblossom wrote: March 10th, 2021, 9:20 am I have finished recording Section 19. I have done my best to follow all of the requirements, but I fear some things may have slipped through the cracks on this, my first recording (other than the test).

I also have concerns about the length of time I am pausing between sentences, thoughts, and paragraphs.

I have not mastered the editing process. I think my new inserted/replaced words and lines sound oddly out of place and louder than the rest of the recording. Help! ( :

There was one particularly long footnote that came in the middle of a sentence. I read the footnote at the end of the sentence so it would not interfere with the continuity of thought.

I tried to indicate short quotations with a change of voice, but in one case the quotation was long so I used, "quote/end quote."

I am eager to hear your advice and corrections.

Thanks, Peaceblossom

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/womansuffrage_19_catt_128kb.mp3
length 26:02
Hi Peaceblossom. Thanks for your file. When you post a link to a submitted file, don't forget to include the length of the file in mm:ss.

Our DPL, Scarbo will PL you file and let you know by posting in this thread if any changes are needed. The length of pauses can be adjusted when you edit the file, but there is no hard and fast rule for how long or short they should be, as long as we aren't talking long pauses that would make the listener think the recording has stopped. :wink:

Your handling of the footnotes and quotations as you have described is fine.

As for editing, this gets easier and smoother as you get more practice. You can always select the inserted edit after the fact and lower (or raise) the volume to match the rest of the recording if needed.

Here is my workflow: I do it stepwise -
1. Record the section without stopping; rereading as needed if I notice I've made an error or I'm unsure of pronunciation -
2. Listen and Edit out repeats and long gaps, etc., making notes where I need to go back and make corrections -
3. go back to the mic and fix my mistakes* -
4. listen through a final time using headphone to check that all the edits sound smooth and that nothing else needs tweaking and then make overall adjustments to the file (noise removal, compression, overall volume adjustment...)

I suspect many (most?) readers don't listen through the whole file a second time and just let the PL pick up anything they missed. That's fine. Others clap or click their tongue to mark errors they make while recording, and then reread it correctly without stopping the recording. This makes a spike in the recording that is easy to find and in theory eliminates the need to listen to the entire track, since you can just navigate to the spikes to find the misreads that need to be deleted. Other readers use a technique called punch and roll - making corrections during the initial reading by stopping, rewinding back before the mistake so to speak and recording the correction over the mistake as they go along.

*For making the actual edits to correct mistakes in the recording once I have listened to the entire track and made notes where corrections are needed, this is my workflow-

1. Listen to the original sentence or phrase containing the mistake a couple of times
2. then record the replacement in a separate track (sometimes a few times until I think it sounds like the original)
3. copy the 'take' that sounds best (and most similar to the original)
4. go back to the original and select the part I am replacing
5. paste the edit in its place - and then listen to the whole sentence to see how it sounds
6. adjust the volume of the insert to match the existing recording around it as needed

There are certainly easier and probably faster ways to do this. Some people can read an entire section with no errors. I'm not one of them! You will ultimately find which technique works and is easiest for you. :)
Jo
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Hello czandra and Peaceblossom, I try to get PLing done pretty quickly, but I have quite a bit of PLing to do lately, so I wanted to let you know that it might be tomorrow or Friday before you hear back from me!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
czandra

Post by czandra »

thanks for caring!

Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

"Hard Work for Special Sessions" is PL OK! I might be confused because the file I PL'd has this title and 23 in the filename and is 26:33 long, but when I see Chapter 23/section 27/"Hard Work for Special Sessions" in the MW it says it's 20:48. Jo, does the filename number need to be changed to 27? I apologize if I'm overlooking something obvious. I've had a really discombobulating week! That's my excuse. :lol:
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
czandra

Post by czandra »

I had two chapters, 23 and 27. There is no chapter 23, section 27. I submitted two separate files, for the two separate chapters.

In looking back over the MW, I see there has been an error. In fact, I recorded chapter 31 (the opposition grows grimmer). I think there may be a confusion between the chapter numbers in the book and the section numbers in the MW. I went by chapter numbers in the book. That means the 'Hard Work' chapter is 23 in the book, but 27 in the MW. So that's done. But I've done someone else's section 31, which is chapter 27 in the book!!

Would that person like to swap out with me for the chapter in the book that coincides with section 23 in the window???

Cz

czandra

Post by czandra »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/womansuffrage_27_catt_128kb.mp3 26:33
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/womansuffrage_31_catt_128kb.mp3 20:48

I'm so sorry about the mix-up! Making hard work for women! I've re-uploaded the two files with the right section numbers on them, and sent a pm to mmiizzaas to ask her to take section 23 (chapter 20) if she hasn't already started recording. Is that okay?

discombobulation is always someone else's fault! :roll:

Czandra

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Czandra. Sorry for any confusion. We always assign sections by the section number not the chapter number. In this case, there were a number of long chapters that were divided to keep the recording length under an hour. When that happens, the section numbers do not coincide with the chapters. Instructions for what to read for each section are in the notes column.

Since you have already reached out to the reader of section 31, I will wait and see what she says about switching sections before I put your second file in the MW. If it's OK, then I am fine with that. If she has already recorded the section, then I will have to use her recording since her claim already existed.

If that is the case, then you can submit your recording of Chapter 27 to the nonfiction collection so your work is not wasted and can still be cataloged. If it comes to that, I will let you know what would be needed in order to do that. (I am the MC of both this project and the nonfiction collection.)

Jo
Jo