Guess What Came In the Mail Today?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I'm excited! I bought a second-hand copy of Toward a Feminist Tradition: An Annotated Bibliography of Novels in English by Women, 1891-1920 800 pages/over 3000 listings of novels by women authors, most of which have at least a brief plot description.

It's gonna be a useful resource in 2 ways that I see --

1 - of course, a great source for Book Suggestions and info to be rewritten for plot summaries. I plan to work through it and match it up to works available on PG and IA for Book Suggestions. Some browsing through and leaping on titles that sound most interesting, and some systematically.

2- Has birth and death dates and real name/pseudonym cross references for a lot of the authors so could be useful for making our catalog info more complete.

If anyone has an author or title they are curious about and want me to look up I'm happy to!

The book was published in 1982 and appears to be the work of two long-time academic librarians.

I have a writing deadline TOMORROW and this is motivation to wrap things up and get on with that because I cannot wait to start digging through this delightful looking volume!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

What a fabulous resource! I look forward to hearing about all the gems you'll dig up!
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

O YAY!
How about Charlotte Perkins Gilman's Unpunished?
I seem to recall that this was written way long ago, but was only "discovered" and published in the latter part of the 20th century.
If so, then boo-hoo for LV.
But if not...
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ColleenMc wrote: October 21st, 2020, 9:17 am I'm excited! I bought a second-hand copy of Toward a Feminist Tradition: An Annotated Bibliography of Novels in English by Women, 1891-1920 800 pages/over 3000 listings of novels by women authors, most of which have at least a brief plot description.

Colleen
I don't suppose Louisa Lawson, the mother of my favourite poet Henry Lawson, is listed therein?

"When women were finally given the vote, in 1902 with the passing of the New South Wales Womanhood Suffrage Bill, Lawson was introduced to the members of Parliament as 'The Mother of Suffrage in New South Wales'."

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/lawson-louisa-7121

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I will have to check -- I'm away from my house and books right now but I'm making a note to come back to this later. I've only been able to dig around in the book a little bit so far but it's pretty cool and fascinating -- tho frustrating to see how many of the books are not available easily...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

No works by Louisa Lawson in this bibliography, sorry!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon