[COMPLETE] London Labour Volume III -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Corrected Section 25 PL okay. You do a better Yorkshireman than I could!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
GillH

Post by GillH »

:lol:
I'm afraid I've got another Italian coming up.

I'm beginning to think this would have been interesting - better, probably - as a group project with volunteers of those other languages who speak enough English reading those roles.
GillH

Post by GillH »

Section 28 (35:26)

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/londonlabour3_28_mayhew_128kb.mp3

Street Exhibitors Part 20: Strolling Actors (pages 139 - 144)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 26 PL okay.

You're right; there are enough different voices in each volume to make quite a good DR (I don't think volume four has as many interviews as the first three). But they would be enormous projects!

Peter
GillH

Post by GillH »

For the Italian one coming up (Section 31), I get the impression that Mayhew interviewed him in French, since it says the one-legged Italian didn't speak much English. That would explain the French words and phrases (and almost complete sentences at times).
GillH

Post by GillH »

Section 29 (29:11)

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/londonlabour3_29_mayhew_128kb.mp3
Street Exhibitors Part 21: Ballet Performers (pages 144 - 148)

I wasn't sure where to put the stress on "madames" - I have both recorded so if you feel strongly the other way, let me know.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 27 PL okay.

... the people he met! I wonder if he kept a diary, and wonder what happened to his notes. What an archive of Victorian life it would have been.

Peter
GillH

Post by GillH »

Thanks again, Peter.

I love the references to the Great Exhibition, the French Revolution, etc. There must have been so much that Mayhew didn't record here - perhaps thinking it was 'stuff' everybody of that day knew. I wonder if much remains of his "Morning Chronicle" articles.

When I'm editing the sections there are usually quite a few of my own "wows" etc. that I have to cut out - it is a stunning portrait of life in London at that time.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I was looking for more information about Mayhew, and found that he'd written quite a few more books. One about life in Saxony, which I've posted a note about in the Suggestions thread.

I've also put "London Vagabond. The Life of Henry Mayhew" on my Amazon wish list for Christmas ... and I'll buy a copy if I'm not given one. Have a look; there's quite a bit of information about his life in the description section on the Amazon page.

I would hope that his papers have gone into a library collection somewhere; it may mention that in London Vagabond.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 28 PL okay.

Peter
GillH

Post by GillH »

Section 30 (40:29)
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/londonlabour3_30_mayhew_128kb.mp3

Street Exhibitors Part 22: The Tight-Rope Dancers and Stilt-Vaulters & Street Reciter
(pages 148 - 154)
GillH

Post by GillH »

Peter Why wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:16 am I was looking for more information about Mayhew, and found that he'd written quite a few more books. One about life in Saxony, which I've posted a note about in the Suggestions thread.

I've also put "London Vagabond. The Life of Henry Mayhew" on my Amazon wish list for Christmas ... and I'll buy a copy if I'm not given one. Have a look; there's quite a bit of information about his life in the description section on the Amazon page.

I would hope that his papers have gone into a library collection somewhere; it may mention that in London Vagabond.

Peter
Sounds interesting. Something seems to have 'gone wrong' with him in later life and he died in obscurity. Did he share his 'wealth' with the London poor? His wife left him and insisted on being buried under her maiden name.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 29 PL okay.

"madame" was fine. I suspect that the French pronunciation carried an extra meaning at the time, a little like we might say of a child "she's a bit of a madam", perhaps.

Yes, I suspect the later part of the book about Mayhew will be rather depressing. He did so much, and things seem to have gone so wrong.

Peter
GillH

Post by GillH »

Thanks, Peter.

Section 31 (31:58)

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/londonlabour3_31_mayhew_128kb.mp3

Blind Reader & Gun-Exercise Exhibitor—One-legged Italian (pages 154 - 158)
Italian accent warning! I like him, though. He's funny.
GillH

Post by GillH »

Section 32 (30:04)

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/londonlabour3_32_mayhew_128kb.mp3

Street Musicians Part 1 (various 'sections' included: Intro &“Old Sarah” & “Farm-yard” Player & Blind Performer on the Bells & Blind Female Violin Player & Blind Scotch Violoncello Player & Blind Irish Piper)
Pages 158 - 163

The ingenuity of some of these people is/was amazing.