ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: October 6th, 2020, 6:16 pm
msfry wrote: October 6th, 2020, 5:27 pm I'd like to know the various ways people listen to our audiobooks -- on an iPhone, ipod, computer, whether stream or download, which apps used, etc. I'd be happy to demonstrate how I do it, but I don't know how I'd get my iPhone screen up on the Zoom screen.
A good topic. I would like to put this on the agenda for Zoom 10/18 first off if that is OK with you. Let me know. "How I Listen to LibriVox Audiobooks - How do you do it" I don't know how to get your iPhone screen up on zoom but I bet if you Google it someone will show how.
I do my best when I have a goal to shoot for. So, I will certainly try, Phil, and hope others will share their methods as well For what good is it to record these wonderful books if nobody knows how to listen to them.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

miss stav wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:52 pm I discovered just now there are zoom meetings... Oh well. I considered two other topics:
1. How do you choose a book to bc? Do you use the book suggestions forum?
2. Which are your favorite books on Librivox and why?
3. What did you learn from books you read here?
Great suggestions! We will definitely be talking about how a BC chooses books in future sessions. I am sorry you are just finding out about our LibriVox zoom meetings. Since they are not part of librivox main purpose but just something that is interesting, I put them into the thread Suggestions. But now you know and can join us!! The time is probably terrible for you but I am keeping it steady for people to get used to it. Later we can have zoom meetings specifically designed for your time zones. Please join in if you can. If you remember you were the person who talked me into being BC for my very first project.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

When on sunday noon? Perhaps I would be able to join. Sunday at twelve, one, two? What is noon?
And yes, I remember we worked a lot together in the past, aspeshaly on Oscar Wild's stories, and had a lot of fun.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

noon is midday - 12 oclock day time in the USA - Anne
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Which I see is 3 AM here in Israel... Well that would be challenging. I hope one day I would be able to make it.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Miss Stav ... (that form of address, suddenly I feel like I'm talking to my kindergarten teacher circa 1970 :wink:), at any rate, I don't think Sunday midday can be 3am Monday in Israel because that's the time it is in Sydney.

A little discourse on the term "noon"...

The word noon is derived from Latin "nona hora", the ninth hour of the day after sunrise at the equinox ... ie, 3pm.

"Noon" being midday is actually an old, old satirical take on medieval monks being so lax as to cheat and reckon 12 midday as 3pm, thereby ending their duty shift early.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

miss stav wrote: October 6th, 2020, 10:48 pm Which I see is 3 AM here in Israel... Well that would be challenging. I hope one day I would be able to make it.
I think that 12 pm central daylight time in the US is 8 PM in Israel. I think that is 2000 for you. In the US we use the 12 hour clock here (12 am is the first hour of the day, 12 pm is midday. Then we start again at 1 pm, 2 pm, etc. The US doesn’t do 1200, 1300, etc with their clocks.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This should give your the time in your location, as well as listing 140 other locations:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20201011T120000&p1=70
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

MaryinArkansas wrote: October 6th, 2020, 5:29 pm I would like to learn about what the BCs do. How they choose books, what it takes to put everything together, unexpected problems that can arise, etc.
I would very much like this to be covered in a Zoom. I’ve done reading and proof listening but haven’t dipped my toe into BCing. I’d like to, but as a newbie it seems intimidating.

I’d also like to know more about the process of creating the cover art for each project. For example tips and tricks that people use to make some of the amazing covers I’ve seen.

Looking forward to the topics being covered this week and hope it is being recorded. Will they always be recorded and posted?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

jennlea wrote: October 7th, 2020, 9:25 pm
MaryinArkansas wrote: October 6th, 2020, 5:29 pm I would like to learn about what the BCs do. How they choose books, what it takes to put everything together, unexpected problems that can arise, etc.
I would very much like this to be covered in a Zoom. I’ve done reading and proof listening but haven’t dipped my toe into BCing. I’d like to, but as a newbie it seems intimidating.

I’d also like to know more about the process of creating the cover art for each project. For example tips and tricks that people use to make some of the amazing covers I’ve seen.

Looking forward to the topics being covered this week and hope it is being recorded. Will they always be recorded and posted?
YES! The Joys and Challenges of being a Book Coordinator will be the main and possibly only topic to our Zoom meeting on October 18, the one following the one this Sunday. Are there any BCs you admire, found good to work with, or perhaps difficult? Any parts of being a BC that still confuses you? Let me know and I will try to ask a variety of BCs to join in and share. BCs carry the main daily work of what we do here.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I'd be happy to do a zoom tutorial on the basics of making covers -- how to claim, sources for artwork, design considerations, sizing and naming files, good organizational practices, uploading, etc. Just last week I hit a milestone -- 400 covers! It's addictive. Perhaps an admin could join in and explain how the covers are linked up to the LV catalog and Internet Archive.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Really a lot of helpful hints offered today! Well organized! Thanks!
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I wasn’t able to make the Zoom today but watched the video and want to say thank you to Todd. Since I’ll be editing my first play in the current One Act collection, the information you shared was incredibly helpful! Thanks a ton for sharing!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

jennlea wrote: October 11th, 2020, 8:06 pm I wasn’t able to make the Zoom today but watched the video and want to say thank you to Todd. Since I’ll be editing my first play in the current One Act collection, the information you shared was incredibly helpful! Thanks a ton for sharing!
You won't want to miss the next Zoom. Only two topics but they are fascinating ones: 1. How do the millions of people listen to our LibriVox recordings? what instrument? which application if any? On their PC? device? car? Michele will share how she does it on her iPhone and another device. I am trying to have a representative from the 'LibriVox App" (not ours but they call it that) join us to discuss their research into how people listen and I think they will. All are welcome to share their preferred methods and devices.

2) The Book Coordinator. The BC is the backbone of LibriVox, doing the thousands of tasks each day to keep their projects running smoothly. How is this done? How are books chosen and what is required to set up a project. What is the most rewarding part of being a BC and what is the most onerous? What drive you crazy? I am looking for BCs, new or experienced to share their experiences, please respond in this forum or PM me. I think we will have time for four or 5. What makes it worthwhile to be a BC?
msfry

Post by msfry »

jennlea wrote: October 11th, 2020, 8:06 pm I wasn’t able to make the Zoom today but watched the video and want to say thank you to Todd. Since I’ll be editing my first play in the current One Act collection, the information you shared was incredibly helpful! Thanks a ton for sharing!
How did you watch the video? Where is it posted? I am clueless where to find our Zoom videos.