ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

While the February Zoom Chat is still fresh on my mind, let me do a recap. If I left something out, please PM me and I'll incorporate it into these minutes -- rather than splay them all over the place:

Topics:
February Libriversaries 2023 page was visited and discussed.
De-clicker Effect demo by Michele, identifying the clicks in the wave form and ZX'ing them. Screech sounds identified as spikes (footballs) in her wave form, and cut out.
De-Esser Effect was discussed. Doreen agreed to demo the De-esser Effect next month, and quartertone posted chat notes below on how to use it.
Remedies: Throat Coat, eating green apples, or drinking hot lemon water were recommended remedies to clear phlegm from the throat before recording.
Brags: almost everyone shared some milestone they had achieved this month. Brags will be a new feature, taking up the last few minutes of each 1st Mondays Chat. It was very enjoyable to hear of first BC'd projects, first solos, tech problems resolved, newly completed projects, special milestones. The dedication LV'ers bring to their new projects is obvious, and interesting to hear about..

DeEsser chat notes posted by quartertone
Info at: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=79278
Steps:
1) duplicate the track.
2) apply de-esser to the duplicated track (with "Isolate changes" option) = this will make the second duplicated track contain just the "ess"es to be removed. These waveforms are phase inverted, so when played together with the original, the effect will be the suppression of the "ess"
3) Select the ess-only waveform (or section of interest) and apply Amplify to reduce the amplitude of that inverted Ess.
4) at the time of mixdown, the de-amplified Ess will be less intensely removed, preserving some of the original sound.

12 Attendees: Claudie, Michele, Doreen*, Lynette C, Jeffrey, Bill, Mary, Lisa, Rich, Larry, quartertone*, and Phil.
*=first time visitor
Last edited by msfry on March 4th, 2023, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

March First Monday Zoom Session Scheduled yet????
I've seen no mention of it yet.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

I second this question!
I was hoping to participate again this month.

(Also, fyi - I was also a "first time visitor" for last month's zoom session)
msfry

Post by msfry »

March's "First Monday's" Zoom meeting is scheduled. Please spread the word and invite a friend. Be prepared to share a neat LV tip or trick, and a BRAG if you have one. We may have to keep brags limited to a few minutes if we are close to the end of the session.

Topic: Tour of the Control Panel, Setting up a Signature, setting up PM folders, creating text links, the De-Esser Effect (if Doreen comes), BRAGS.
Time: March 6th, 2023 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada). Log in 5 minutes ahead to set up your Real Name (username), adjust your audio and video, etc. Recording will start at 11.
Host: Michele fry

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84452418640?pwd=SEhCb1lhWStjejhYSXhYL1VTRHMzQT09

Meeting ID: 844 5241 8640
Passcode: 477722

Let me see a show of hands if you can make it, just so I know I won't be there all by myself.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Tell me what you think of this idea.

A couple of years ago I did a Zoom session on what I called Tips from the Pro’s. I’d been to several audiobook narration workshops by top pros and wanted to impart their wisdom to LV volunteers. Well, it sucked. I admit that. The number of views of the YouTube are abysmal.

But I realize now that noobs aren’t going to watch an hour video for tips. But they might if it’s in small chunks.

So my thought is, as part of the monthly Zoom, I do a 5 or 10 minute bit on one topic that can be made available to anyone who finds it helpful. They could be saved as small videos.

What do you think?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Sounds good!!
Run it up the flag pole and see whether anyone salutes.
*I* will.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

sjmarky wrote: March 4th, 2023, 6:56 pm Tell me what you think of this idea.

A couple of years ago I did a Zoom session on what I called Tips from the Pro’s. I’d been to several audiobook narration workshops by top pros and wanted to impart their wisdom to LV volunteers. Well, it sucked. I admit that. The number of views of the YouTube are abysmal.

But I realize now that noobs aren’t going to watch an hour video for tips. But they might if it’s in small chunks.

So my thought is, as part of the monthly Zoom, I do a 5 or 10 minute bit on one topic that can be made available to anyone who finds it helpful. They could be saved as small videos.

What do you think?
I like it. It could be in the zoom session's hour, if we have time or follow after the noon bell rings. Something like "stay tuned for a "Tip from Pros", which could be included in the zoom video, or not, your choice. We could give it a whirl on Monday, or start next month.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Okay, I’ll prepare something and let you know how long it will be. What’s the next date?

My website
My Librivox reader page
msfry

Post by msfry »

sjmarky wrote: March 4th, 2023, 7:32 pm Okay, I’ll prepare something and let you know how long it will be. What’s the next date?
First Monday of each month, so March 6th, April 3rd, May 1, etc. If I know your topic ahead of time I'll put it in the announcement.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

This might sound unnecessary, but one day I think we might talk about how we can encourage each other, especially new members who are having difficulties or too little kind feedback.

Talking about 'burn out' might be unnecessary, but I would be interested in hearing if people feel they have just taken too much on or if they feel stuck with a project which now bores them. (Thankfully, I've been free of these feelings except during the times my health declines.)
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: March 4th, 2023, 7:45 pm This might sound unnecessary, but one day I think we might talk about how we can encourage each other, especially new members who are having difficulties or too little kind feedback.

Talking about 'burn out' might be unnecessary, but I would be interested in hearing if people feel they have just taken too much on or if they feel stuck with a project which now bores them. (Thankfully, I've been free of these feelings except during the times my health declines.)
I keep a list of suggestions for future sessions, so suggest away everyone, especially if you have questions, or gripes, or would like to share or discuss a way you handle or solve something. Nothing is off the table that I know of, except name calling and finger-pointing. It would be a real pain to edit those out.

I'll add:
Appropriate feedback to newbies vs. seasoned LV'ers.
Burnout, and backing out.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I think it might be a good idea to have no more than two “techy” features per session…setting up PM folders, for example… and keeping them short and simple. It is good to learn all the LibriVox techniques, but too much tech stuff in one session may be overwhelming. The main reason people sign up for LibriVox is to record. Too much minutiae can be overwhelming, especially to newbies.

I like Kevin’s idea about those instances when a person takes on too much, or perhaps find out they don’t care for a project. Although LibriVox is voluntary, I think that most people who sign up to record feel committed to finish a project. Ideas on how the reader does this under various circumstances might be good.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MaryinArkansas wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:15 pm I think it might be a good idea to have no more than two “techy” features per session…setting up PM folders, for example… and keeping them short and simple. It is good to learn all the LibriVox techniques, but too much tech stuff in one session may be overwhelming. The main reason people sign up for LibriVox is to record. Too much minutiae can be overwhelming, especially to newbies.
Agreed, though I do like the techie stuff, too.
loon

Post by loon »

msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:05 pm Appropriate feedback to newbies vs. seasoned LV'ers.
This one please!
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

loon wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:34 pm
msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:05 pm Appropriate feedback to newbies vs. seasoned LV'ers.
This one please!
Not sure what this means.

My website
My Librivox reader page