ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

I probably won't be able to make it today. :( The good news is that my husband starts a new job tomorrow. The bad news is that I'm going to see a lot less of him, so I need to take advantage of this evening!
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

stepheather wrote: November 6th, 2023, 8:05 am I probably won't be able to make it today. :( The good news is that my husband starts a new job tomorrow. The bad news is that I'm going to see a lot less of him, so I need to take advantage of this evening!
Sorry to hear that you won’t be there, Stephanie. We will be taping this one, so you can watch it later.

Enjoy your evening!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Michelle, I'm getting the message "The host has another meeting in progress."
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Winnifred wrote: November 6th, 2023, 9:52 am Michelle, I'm getting the message "The host has another meeting in progress."
I am here. Only one meeting in progress. Let me end. Then start again.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

msfry wrote: November 6th, 2023, 9:53 am
Winnifred wrote: November 6th, 2023, 9:52 am Michelle, I'm getting the message "The host has another meeting in progress."
I am here. Only one meeting in progress. Let me end. Then start again.
I'll do the same.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Great meeting everyone!

The recording will be going up on YouTube in the coming days/weeks for anyone who couldn't make it. We talked about Michele's "duplication trick" for BCs, the new Audacity 3.4 and how it works on a Mac and in Windows, and proof listening and changing meaning (are you a "read along" or "just listen"?) And we segued briefly into covers and the Librivox wiki, and shared some brags.
Last edited by Winnifred on December 1st, 2023, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Duplicate trick explained:

I just tried Lynette's "right click Page 1" trick to open Page 1 while keeping a later project page open. I didn't pick up on that at first. When a BC is working within an LV project to update the MW, this "trick" is shorter than "right click duplicate webpage tab" then navigate to Page 1!
Brilliant! :D

A BC can use this when project files are pouring in, and the MW can been kept open at the same time on another tab and filled in bit by bit by toggling between pages.
Last edited by msfry on November 7th, 2023, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: November 7th, 2023, 5:14 pm Duplicate trick explained:

I just tried Lynette's "right click Page 1" trick to open Page 1 while keeping a later project page open. I didn't pick up on that at first. When at BC is working within an LV project to update the MW, this "trick" is shorter than "right click duplicate webpage tab" then navigate to Page 1!

Brilliant! :D

A BC can use this when project files are pouring in, and the MW can been kept open at the same time on another tab and filled in bit by bit by toggling between pages.
That is what I have been doing. But, once I have the forum on one page and MW in another, if I have a lot to do, I resize each page so I have them side by side which saves a lot of toggling. Same when I set up a new project. I have keep my projects on a spread sheet, so I resize that and have it side by side with the MW for easy copy and paste. Oops, I guess this isn't the forum to discuss this.

Anyway, thanks to Winnifred for hosting and for all the good comments and ideas!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: November 7th, 2023, 5:28 pm But, once I have the forum on one page and MW in another, if I have a lot to do, I resize each page so I have them side by side which saves a lot of toggling.
To resize and side by side, you have to open each page in a new window, or "move tab to a new window", not just a new tab.
Same when I set up a new project. I have keep my projects on a spread sheet, so I resize that and have it side by side with the MW for easy copy and paste.
Yes you can float sheets from separate programs side by side on your screen and toggle between them. I'd be interested in seeing your spreadsheet.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

When I was still working, I had two monitors (large ones!) that I made full use of. When I’m setting up new projects, I remember those large monitors fondly…
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hello, fellow Zoomers,

The First Monday is coming up on December 4th. Any plans for a meeting? I can host at 11 a.m. if Winnifred isn't available.
loon

Post by loon »

msfry wrote: December 1st, 2023, 8:59 am Hello, fellow Zoomers,

The First Monday is coming up on December 4th. Any plans for a meeting? I can host at 11 a.m. if Winnifred isn't available.
I could talk briefly about my Dramatic Reading workflow, which I believe is a bit different from others'.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I won’t be able to make it to this one, I’m afraid. Got a conflicting commitment. I’ll watch for the video.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sounds good, loon.
Let's see who else we can round up to share interesting LV techniques.
Okay, Winnifred, thanks for the heads up.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Dane Scott, well known voice over coach, has been offering LV'ers free online coaching sessions for awhile. He has agreed to join us this Monday, introduce himself, answer questions, maybe ask for a volunteer. I had a 15 minute session with Dane earlier this year, via Zoom, and it made a difference in the fullness of my audio.
https://www.goldentones.com/