ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

msfry wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 9:17 am
smike wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 8:52 am Sorry, life has been very busy, and I missed a lot. Do I understand that the monthly zoom meeting is a thing of the past?
Not at all. I'm just taking a breather, waiting for comments, seeing if there is still sufficient interest. My list of presenters and things to share continues to grow. Items needing attention are:

2nd Mondays instead of 1st Mondays? Or Tuesdays? Or Saturdays?
11 a.m. or a more convenient time?
Winnifred has offered to host the next session, I think????? Waiting for an answer from her on that. The 1st Monday would be the 6th, which works fine for me.

BTW, Phil did not record the last session so whatever gems were shared, were missed by the rest of us.
Sorry, Michelle, I meant to respond to you and then got sidetracked. Sure, I could host next Monday, November 6 at 9 am Pacific (11 am Central). I’d need to set it up from scratch, right? I’ll have to do some playing around with Zoom, as it’s been awhile since I hosted one of these, and remind myself of how to record.

I liked the flow of the last discussion, so I think I’ll do something similar; just put together a list of questions to throw out whenever discussion lags, and maybe post them a day or two in advance so folks can consider them. I have a few days to think of some, but if anyone has burning questions they’d like answered, please post them here. Everyone seems interested in Librivox process and setup, so that’s what I’d focus on.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Winnifred wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 2:24 pm
msfry wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 9:17 am
smike wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 8:52 am Sorry, life has been very busy, and I missed a lot. Do I understand that the monthly zoom meeting is a thing of the past?
Not at all. I'm just taking a breather, waiting for comments, seeing if there is still sufficient interest. My list of presenters and things to share continues to grow. Items needing attention are:

2nd Mondays instead of 1st Mondays? Or Tuesdays? Or Saturdays?
11 a.m. or a more convenient time?
Winnifred has offered to host the next session, I think????? Waiting for an answer from her on that. The 1st Monday would be the 6th, which works fine for me.

BTW, Phil did not record the last session so whatever gems were shared, were missed by the rest of us.
Sorry, Michelle, I meant to respond to you and then got sidetracked. Sure, I could host next Monday, November 6 at 9 am Pacific (11 am Central). I’d need to set it up from scratch, right? I’ll have to do some playing around with Zoom, as it’s been awhile since I hosted one of these, and remind myself of how to record.

I liked the flow of the last discussion, so I think I’ll do something similar; just put together a list of questions to throw out whenever discussion lags, and maybe post them a day or two in advance so folks can consider them. I have a few days to think of some, but if anyone has burning questions they’d like answered, please post them here. Everyone seems interested in Librivox process and setup, so that’s what I’d focus on.

Cheers,
Fantastic! I'll be attending, and I have one thing I want to share. I'm calling it "the Duplication Trick" (about 8 minutes to share my screen and explain it). Visit the Announcement Thread and see how to announce your topic, which gives us the link to click on to get there. I can come in 15 minutes early and help you set your permissions, etc., if you wish.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, I think this might be before my next travel days!
If I don't forget, I'll probably show up. :roll:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

msfry wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 2:50 pm
Winnifred wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 2:24 pm Sorry, Michelle, I meant to respond to you and then got sidetracked. Sure, I could host next Monday, November 6 at 9 am Pacific (11 am Central). I’d need to set it up from scratch, right? I’ll have to do some playing around with Zoom, as it’s been awhile since I hosted one of these, and remind myself of how to record.

Cheers,
Fantastic! I'll be attending, and I have one thing I want to share. I'm calling it "the Duplication Trick" (about 8 minutes to share my screen and explain it). Visit the Announcement Thread and see how to announce your topic, which gives us the link to click on to get there. I can come in 15 minutes early and help you set your permissions, etc., if you wish.
Thanks, Michelle. I'll put your "Duplication Trick" at the top of the list.

I've seen the announcement thread, and I'll follow the model set there. I'm probably ok with setup. I have hosted Zoom meetings in the past, just not recently. I'll play with Zoom over the weekend and use my son as a guinea pig if necessary. I'll set up a bit in advance, but probably not 15 minutes (we only get 40 minutes per session, so I'll do the preparation ahead and be ready to go at 8:50-8:55 (five or ten minutes before).

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

silverquill wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 2:59 pm Oh, I think this might be before my next travel days!
If I don't forget, I'll probably show up. :roll:
If you bookmark the Zoom announcements thread, it'll send you a reminder when the announcement goes up.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Winnifred wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 3:07 pm Thanks, Michelle. I'll put your "Duplication Trick" at the top of the list.

I've seen the announcement thread, and I'll follow the model set there. I'm probably ok with setup. I have hosted Zoom meetings in the past, just not recently. I'll play with Zoom over the weekend and use my son as a guinea pig if necessary. I'll set up a bit in advance, but probably not 15 minutes (we only get 40 minutes per session, so I'll do the preparation ahead and be ready to go at 8:50-8:55 (five or ten minutes before).

Cheers,
I'll be ready.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I've just posted the invite to Monday's Zoom in the Zoom Announcements Only forum. Below is the list of items/questions I thought we might consider for discussion.

If you have other ideas, it's not too late to suggest them here!

1. Michelle will explain her “Duplication Trick.”
2. Prooflistening and changing meaning in a reading: Are you a “read along” afficionado or a “just listen” fan, and why?
3. How do you pick your next reading, BC, or solo?
4. How do you pick your projects to PL/DPL?
5. How do covers come into existence?
6. Do you do voice exercises before you record?
7. What’s the weirdest thing you ever recorded?
8. What’s the most unexpectedly rewarding section/book you ever recorded? Why?
9. Has anyone updated to the new Audacity 3.4 yet? If so, had any issues?

See you all on Monday!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Still planning on this!
In advance: Audacity 3.3.4 was a disaster and I rolled back!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

Are the Zoom sessions ever recorded? I signed up for notices about new meetings before realizing that I can't make the meeting time (I work full time).
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Jazbees wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 9:22 pm Are the Zoom sessions ever recorded? I signed up for notices about new meetings before realizing that I can't make the meeting time (I work full time).
Yes, they are recorded and, I believe, posted to YouTube. Which reminds me; I need to check Zoom tomorrow to make sure I remember how to start recording, and then ask around to find out where they get uploaded.

Would a weekend work better for you? I believe everyone would be open to changing the date of future sessions to accommodate people’s schedules. I just don’t think there have been any specific requests for that yet.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Jazbees wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 9:22 pm Are the Zoom sessions ever recorded? I signed up for notices about new meetings before realizing that I can't make the meeting time (I work full time).
The most recent ones that are recorded are at Librivox Zoom Chat Sessions. The ones from earlier years are posted on Phil Chenevert's Youtube page at - - - - I can never find the link.

REQUEST TO PHIL: Please post these addresses to the first posts of both the Discussion and Announcement threads, which are your posts so only you can alter.
Last edited by msfry on November 4th, 2023, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
loon

Post by loon »

I doubt I'll make it this month. It's a busy week. If the session gets recorded I can watch later!
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

Winnifred wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 9:40 pm Would a weekend work better for you? I believe everyone would be open to changing the date of future sessions to accommodate people’s schedules. I just don’t think there have been any specific requests for that yet.
I'm unavailable on Sundays. Saturdays would work, but I have a standing volunteer commitment on the first and third Saturday of every month that eats up half the day.

I certainly don't expect the schedule to change on my account, especially with my wonky weekend availability.
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I've also enjoyed watching the recordings after the fact, and followed up on a couple questions here and there.
I'm often "on call" for work, so there's not really a time I can be sure to make it live. But yes, one more person chiming in to say I appreciate these meetings. It's nice to have a relaxed format where people can ask questions and talk about what interests them at LV.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Just a reminder that the 1st Monday Zoom chat is tomorrow, November 6 at 9 am Pacific time!

No obligation to speak; you can come and just listen to us if you like. It's a great way to get to know some of your fellow Librivoxers, and maybe get answers to questions you haven't dared ask. I'm also planning to share my initial (good and bad) impressions of the new version of Audacity (3.4) on a Mac.

Winnifred is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: 1st Monday's Zoom Chat
Time: Nov 6, 2023 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Host: Winnifred

Join Zoom Meeting up to 5 minutes early.
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82027916692?pwd=bitRQ1htWnB4NkJPa0wxYzQ2YjdoQT09

Meeting ID: 820 2791 6692
Passcode: 742746

See you all tomorrow!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: