ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

loon wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 10:25 am I'm not seeing any activity in the Zoom meeting. Is the time Noon Eastern? - or Central? - or something else?
CST. See you in 30 minutes. :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

loon wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 10:25 am I'm not seeing any activity in the Zoom meeting. Is the time Noon Eastern? - or Central? - or something else?
central.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Continuation of current Zoom meeting:

Join Zoom Meeting
[deleted]
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:06 pm Continuation of current Zoom meeting:

[deleted]
Thanks!!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome. :) I deleted the link because that's one I don't want out on the internet in the future.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Thanks Michele! That was very informative! Thank you Adrian and Tricia for hosting! Looking forward to the next Zoom!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

jennlea wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:48 pm Thanks Michele! That was very informative! Thank you Adrian and Tricia for hosting! Looking forward to the next Zoom!
Well said. Echo...
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:45 pm Welcome. :) I deleted the link because that's one I don't want out on the internet in the future.
The first hour, only the audio was recorded, so it needs to be scrapped. I would like your link (privately) to the second half. Someday I will try to record the whole thing again, as one file.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Good Zoom this morning. I used to have the full version of Photoshop, but when they went to the monthly subscription I downgraded to PS Elements. Seeing the real thing had me hankering for it again. And I saw during the prez a title I contributed to with no cover claimed, so I did.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 4:56 pm
TriciaG wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:45 pm Welcome. :) I deleted the link because that's one I don't want out on the internet in the future.
The first hour, only the audio was recorded, so it needs to be scrapped. I would like your link (privately) to the second half. Someday I will try to record the whole thing again, as one file.
Sent by PM. I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to edit and/or post it anywhere.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

sjmarky wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:21 pm Good Zoom this morning. I used to have the full version of Photoshop, but when they went to the monthly subscription I downgraded to PS Elements. Seeing the real thing had me hankering for it again. And I saw during the prez a title I contributed to with no cover claimed, so I did.
I use Gimp, which has a lot of the same functionality I saw Michele use. I don't know how to make fanciness in the titles (jazz 'em up or make them follow a curved path, etc.) but it otherwise does everything I need it to do. And it's free! 8-)
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

msfry wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 4:56 pm The first hour, only the audio was recorded, so it needs to be scrapped. I would like your link (privately) to the second half. Someday I will try to record the whole thing again, as one file.
Great presentation this afternoon.

I had some issues following into the second half and was hoping to see the recording, but maybe not, I guess?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

=====================================
* PROPOSAL: FOR USE OF LIBRIVOX'S ZOOM ACCOUNT *
=====================================

Some months ago, I gifted LIBRIVOX with a full PRO Zoom account.
At the time, only Phil Chenevert was making use of Zoom to distribute his very informative techniques for doing things in Librivox and Audacity. So, without there being a "central authority" for Librivox, he became the default "Holder of the Zoom". My gift was intended to be made available to any LV-er who wished to host a Zoom session pertinent to LV topics.

On Sunday, 22 Nov., Adrian graciously offered to host, on his personal Zoom account, a Zoom session during which Michele would begin a first discussion of the intricacies of Cover Making. At the 55-minute mark, Adrian announced that he had previously scheduled another zoom session and that he would have to truncate Michele's presentation. Fortunately, Tricia's quick thinking saved the day by her opening another Zoom session during which Michele rounded out her first chapter of Cover Making.

This incident could have been avoided if Librivox's own Zoom account had been used. I envisioned the gifted Librivox Zoom account being like an organization's conference room which would be publicly scheduled for use by various parties, thereby avoiding conflicts.

A first step in this process is for Phil to pass along the Zoom credentials he has been using for Zoom to someone(s) who will act as the "Zoom Scheduler". This scheduler will update the published list of LV Zoom dates and pass the credentials (e.g., User Name/email and Password) via PM to persons requesting a slot of Zoom time.

Comments/Suggestions.

1. The Zoom Announcement thread is a logical place to display the current list of Reserved Dates for use of Librivox's own Pro Zoom account; but, perhaps it would be even better to add a "Zoom Schedule Thread" which would contain ONLY session titles and dates/times.

2. Zoom slots should be requested/granted in more than 1 hour blocks (90-minutes, perhaps?): none of the LV zoom sessions I've attended was totally finished in one hour.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That makes sense.

Throwing out my random thoughts:

I cannot remember; can non-admins edit posts they've made that are really old (say, a few months old)? If so, I'd be OK having a non-admin head up the scheduling thread. (I'm barely keeping my head above water here at LV already, and I know Phil is quite busy with real life stuff. Or maybe there's another admin that would be willing to take on the scheduling part.)

We would want to keep the Zoom hosts somewhat limited to "experienced" LVers (or "veterans", or some similar term) rather than sharing the host credentials with just anyone who asks for them. And we might want to consider changing the password after each session, or on a periodic basis.

Is there another Zoom meeting scheduled at this time? I don't believe so...
msfry

Post by msfry »

I could try my hand at being the scheduler. Not sure we'd need a third thread to do this. Maybe just an announcement in the First Post of the Announcement and Chat Threads, that if you want to schedule an LV Zoom session, PM msfry with the particulars, and Here is the list of Currently Scheduled Zoom Sessions (linked to a post I can update). Then, as each scheduled session comes up, an admin would have to post the Invitation in the Announcement Thread.

We should keep in mind that a Zoom Pro account is good for 1 year only, then needs to be renewed at (the current rate of) $159. Who would pay that?

Phil said he would host the next meeting, presumably at NOON on December 6, the topic to be "lots of fabulous stuff". :)