[CHINESE DETECTIVE] Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee - availle

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
VivienneWong

Post by VivienneWong »

Di Gong An (Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee) by anonymous .
Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee (Chinese: 狄公案; pinyin: Dí Gōng'àn, lit. "Cases of Judge Dee", also known as Di Gong An or Dee Goong An) is an 18th-century Chinese gong'an detective novel by an anonymous author, "Buti zhuanren" (Chinese: 不题撰人). It is loosely based on the stories of Di Renjie (Wade-Giles Ti Jen-chieh), a county magistrate and statesman of the Tang court, who lived roughly 630–700. The novel contains cultural elements from later dynasties, rather than Tang Dynasty China, however. ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27686
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Di Gong An (Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Di Gong An (Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee), by anonymous. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Di Gong An (Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee) by anonymous. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Di Gong An (Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee), by anonymous. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename digongan_##_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. digongan_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3)
  • You can ignore ID3 Tags, they will be filled in automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by VivienneWong on May 27th, 2023, 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sounds like fun!

Not that I will understand anything of course, but I can be your MC at least. :D
MW coming in a moment!

Edit: okay, we're good, mostly. ;-) A few things:
- given the size of the project, I have given you 25 sections to start with. We/you can always add more if you need them.
- this is a Chinese project, so you should use the Chinese intro/outro. Also, please give me a Chinese summary some time before cataloging (preferably written by yourself and not copied from Wikipedia - I have linked to the Chinese wikipedia entry for this book anyway).

Other than this, I think we're fine. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Hi Vivienne! I'd love to DPL if the spot hasn't been taken.
Cheers,
Yuqing :D
VivienneWong

Post by VivienneWong »

Availle wrote: October 1st, 2020, 4:35 pm Sounds like fun!

Not that I will understand anything of course, but I can be your MC at least. :D
MW coming in a moment!

Edit: okay, we're good, mostly. ;-) A few things:
- given the size of the project, I have given you 25 sections to start with. We/you can always add more if you need them.
- this is a Chinese project, so you should use the Chinese intro/outro. Also, please give me a Chinese summary some time before cataloging (preferably written by yourself and not copied from Wikipedia - I have linked to the Chinese wikipedia entry for this book anyway).

Other than this, I think we're fine. :D
Hi Availle, I can have a try:

"
This novel is based on the legendary cases of Dee, Ren Jie who was borned 630 n.Chr. He lived in the time as the only female emperor was there in the Chinese history. He was a "symbol" for the honest and fair officer. He fight against corruption and solved several cases. Three of these cases was included in this novel. But this is a novel, not documentation. Means it is not 100% true. The author was born about 1000 years later and he tries to bring the readers some interesting crime stories based on reality in his own way.
"
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sounds good to me. Now in Chinese please ;-)

Also, as I said, it's good to change the intro/outro to Chinese as well because you're reading in Chinese, and so that you're consistent with the wording throughout.

I also added Yuqing as DPL, thanks for offering! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
VivienneWong

Post by VivienneWong »

Hi Availle, hi all,

I just uploaded the 1st chapter. Not quite sure if it is ok. Please have a check if everything fits the requirements (name format, MP3 format, etc.)

Many thanks in advance!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Since I can't really PL this, just very quickly:

- filename should be: digongan_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3 etc.
- title in the MW should be in Chinese - even if it just says "section 1" or something.

Other than that, I don't know. :D

Anyway, let's move us over to going solo!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
VivienneWong

Post by VivienneWong »

Hi Availle,

thanks! I updated the mp3 name. Just....what is MW...?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

"Magic Window". It's been a while, isn't it? :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

VivienneWong wrote: October 7th, 2020, 1:03 pm I just uploaded the 1st chapter. Not quite sure if it is ok. Please have a check if everything fits the requirements (name format, MP3 format, etc.)

Many thanks in advance!
It's good that your volume is within target range, but there are 2 more issues:
- The bit rate should be 128 kbps
- The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR)

If you need to refresh your memory regarding how Audacity works (I assume you aren't using anything else?), you may want to check out this link!
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_1-2-3

Can you post in this thread after re-uploading the recording with the correct configuration? I'll PL after that. Thanks!
Cheers,
VivienneWong

Post by VivienneWong »

YuqingJune wrote: October 8th, 2020, 9:31 pm
VivienneWong wrote: October 7th, 2020, 1:03 pm I just uploaded the 1st chapter. Not quite sure if it is ok. Please have a check if everything fits the requirements (name format, MP3 format, etc.)

Many thanks in advance!
- The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR)

If you need to refresh your memory regarding how Audacity works (I assume you aren't using anything else?), you may want to check out this link!

Can you post in this thread after re-uploading the recording with the correct configuration? I'll PL after that. Thanks!
ah perfect :) this is the page which I need. Thanks.

PS: Thanks Availle! Yeah it has been a while...
VivienneWong

Post by VivienneWong »

YuqingJune wrote: October 8th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Many thanks in advance!

as you required, I updated the format. Hope it's ok now.
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

VivienneWong wrote: October 9th, 2020, 9:33 am as you required, I updated the format. Hope it's ok now.
Thanks! Just one thing to note - when you've "updated" the recording, it would be clearer to me if you can change the status (rightmost column of the magic window) to Ready for Spot PL so I'll know straight away without you having to post in the thread at all (though if you still want to, you still may by all means)!

Section 01 has passed the Checker test. I'll get back to you once I finish PL-ing the content.

However, section 02 yielded a "passed with warnings" due to the 94 dB volume which is out of target range. See more info here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Setting_Recording_Input_Level
Can you kindly adjust the volume and re-upload the recording?

If you have yet to install Checker, a useful tool for detecting all the issues that I've identified so far, why not try it now?
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Also, do you mind putting down the length of the recordings in the "Notes" column of the magic window? It'll help the MCs a lot when they eventually turn the project into the final product! I've helped with that for the existing 2 sections already, so no worries for now!
Cheers,
VivienneWong

Post by VivienneWong »

YuqingJune wrote: October 10th, 2020, 4:40 pm
VivienneWong wrote: October 9th, 2020, 9:33 am as you required, I updated the format. Hope it's ok now.
Thanks! Just one thing to note - when you've "updated" the recording, it would be clearer to me if you can change the status (rightmost column of the magic window) to Ready for Spot PL so I'll know straight away without you having to post in the thread at all (though if you still want to, you still may by all means)!

Section 01 has passed the Checker test. I'll get back to you once I finish PL-ing the content.

However, section 02 yielded a "passed with warnings" due to the 94 dB volume which is out of target range. See more info here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Setting_Recording_Input_Level
Can you kindly adjust the volume and re-upload the recording?

If you have yet to install Checker, a useful tool for detecting all the issues that I've identified so far, why not try it now?
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Also, do you mind putting down the length of the recordings in the "Notes" column of the magic window? It'll help the MCs a lot when they eventually turn the project into the final product! I've helped with that for the existing 2 sections already, so no worries for now!
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Section 01 - See PL Notes

11:14 - “將他治死” 將 was read as 把
12:07 - “想見你也不是良善之輩” 良善 was read as 善良

I noticed some inexplicable pauses at 2:59, 3:15, 3:42, 4:48, 6:20, 6:26, 8:56 and 9:13. Is it possible to shorten them based on the context?

(Tip: you may find it useful to re-listen to the whole recording (if the effects of individual edits have not been checked as soon as they are made) before exporting it to mp3 format! It’s evident that you put in the effort to make the edits sound seamless, but these breaks might actually make the recording harder to comprehend.)

The long pauses at 3:21, 3:56, 4:20, 6:50, 8:12, 9:16, 9:45, 10:01, 10:40 and 11:47 are less prone to cause confusion. Correcting them would be good but totally optional :)

You’ll want to add around 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording as well.

Hope this is not too much to absorb in one go :D
Looking forward to your subsequent recordings!
Cheers,