[COMPLETE] Book of Thousand Nights & a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 12-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

Lett me clarify. In the intro we are to read The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 12

But the tile for the chapter as printed is

THE KING WHO KENNED THE QUINTESSENCE OF THINGS.--Vol. XI. p. 212.

The volume is 11 which is confusing. So skip the page, number do I read 'volume 11'
slimshady11

Post by slimshady11 »

slimshady11 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 3:09 am
section 24.
so is it pl ok?!
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Section 24 PL notes

The audio is too loud* and the gain needs reducing by 5.4dB

The first 31 seconds of the audio is badly damaged, dropping to silence for the first few seconds then only picking up the high tones for a while, making it hard to identify words.

1:08 "Aladdin" should be "Ala-al-Din"

2:32 You've corrected "Then she left" to Then she let" but left the old version in as well

3:12 "Then said to him" should be "Then she said to him"

4:07 missing section. "Then said he hath she unveiled..." should be "Then said she, 'Hath any the right to say of me that I am lophanded?' and tucking up her sleeves, she showed him forearms as they were crystal; after which she unveiled..."

I'm sorry you've had to wait longer for this than you would have wanted. Please remember that we're all volunteers with day jobs and some people had submitted a considerable amount of audio over the Christmas/New Year period that needed PLing.

(*Strangely, although too loud, I often had to turn up the volume to hear words clearly - you seem to be missing a lot of the mid-range frequencies in your audio. If you have some form of equalisation in your audio recorder, you might want to try boosting the 150-500Hz range a little and see if it sounds better)
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

dltrial wrote: January 6th, 2021, 5:16 pm Lett me clarify. In the intro we are to read The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 12

But the tile for the chapter as printed is

THE KING WHO KENNED THE QUINTESSENCE OF THINGS.--Vol. XI. p. 212.

The volume is 11 which is confusing. So skip the page, number do I read 'volume 11'
It's confusing because you're lacking the context by just reading the one section. Starting at section 43 we move from a translation of the additional material to a commentary on volumes XI and XII, so this section is a commentary on the tale "The King who kenned the quintessence of things" and the tale itself is on p 212 of volume XI, though the commentary is here. So I'd read it as "The King who kenned the quintessence of things, volume eleven" but temper my reading the same way as I would were something in parentheses.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 9:34 pm New version of section 33 ready for spot PL.
Thank you for that - all the corrections sound great.

There's one small thing - I don't know if I missed this first time around or if it's a result of the edit, but the audio is missing the 5s silence at the end. Could I get you to add that on, please? Sorry if it's something I didn't notice on the first run through.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Section 35: Spot PL OK

Section 36: We've still got the verbal slip at 3:14, but as that's only a small error I'm also marking this as Spot PL OK.

Thanks,
Paul}
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

SkyRider wrote: January 6th, 2021, 4:09 pm Section 37
10:25 repeated phrase "But I fear not, I end not, I turn me not"
15:35 "mistress of her own land" should be "mistress of her own hand"
16:34 "Thine be ready" should be "Thine be the rede"
21:43 repeated phrase "so they paced"
4:23 OPTIONAL EXTRA - there's a really long silence (almost 4 seconds). It's not wrong, but it sounds out of place and would be far better if you were to trim it to a second or so
All fixed hopefully, including that awfully long silence. Though when you're looking for the repeated line in spot PL at 10:25 was actually at 11:25.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_37_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (22:42)
SkyRider wrote: January 6th, 2021, 4:09 pm Section 38
2:57 'E'en then his own' should be 'E'en as his own'
3:08 'I am a King' should be 'I have a King'
7:08 repeated phrase "When King Al-Aziz"
And all fixed here too!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_38_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (10:19)
SkyRider wrote: January 7th, 2021, 5:24 am There's one small thing - I don't know if I missed this first time around or if it's a result of the edit, but the audio is missing the 5s silence at the end. Could I get you to add that on, please? Sorry if it's something I didn't notice on the first run through.
More silence added!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_33_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (25:56)

There we go, hopefully everything is ready now,
Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
BlueBlueBlueBlueBlue

Post by BlueBlueBlueBlueBlue »

Hey! Could I take 30 and/or 31?
justforfun123

Post by justforfun123 »

Hello I would like to claim section 76 you can credit me as justforfun123
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

BlueBlueBlueBlueBlue wrote: January 8th, 2021, 2:49 pm Hey! Could I take 30 and/or 31?
You'd be very welcome to, but before you record your first passage we like you to record a test piece first. This isn't an audition so much as to check that you can produce a file that meets LibriVox's technical specifications. Details are here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

You're also not on the picklist of readers yet. Let me know how you'd like your name to appear in the catalogue and I'll pop you on there and provisionally reserve sections 30 & 31 pending your 1-minute test.

Cheers,
Paul
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

justforfun123 wrote: January 9th, 2021, 11:16 am Hello I would like to claim section 76 you can credit me as justforfun123
I've allocated section 76 to you. You also have your shiny new reader page where all the sections narrated by you will appear: https://librivox.org/reader/15572

Cheers,
Paul
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Setions 33, 37 and 38 are all Spot PL OK. I've got to congratulate you on the quality of the editing, Annie - the joins are inaudible.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Looking at Section 69 to record and I just want to clarify how you want the intro
==
"Chapter [number] of The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 12. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
" The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, Volume 12, by Anonymous. Translated by Richard Francis Burton Section [Section number] [Title]
==
The intro starts with "Chapter" then switches to "Section." at the end. Is this the way, or should it be "Section" in both places since there are no actual chapters."

For [Title] do you want it just as it is in the MW, which is just the first segment, or do you want all of the segments that are included in that section?

I can see this was a real challenge to put together. :shock:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

SkyRider wrote: January 10th, 2021, 2:44 am Setions 33, 37 and 38 are all Spot PL OK. I've got to congratulate you on the quality of the editing, Annie - the joins are inaudible.
Thank you! You're the second person to say so in the last week :D I had never even touched audacity (or any sound based software) prior to last month... Actually, I've always hated the sound of my own voice when recorded... LOL...

Anyway, thank you,
Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

silverquill wrote: January 10th, 2021, 11:33 pm The intro starts with "Chapter" then switches to "Section." at the end. Is this the way, or should it be "Section" in both places since there are no actual chapters."
Thanks for spotting that, Larry. Section is preferred, and I've updated the First Post to reflect this. Actually, I thought I already had, but clearly missed an instance.
silverquill wrote: January 10th, 2021, 11:33 pm For [Title] do you want it just as it is in the MW, which is just the first segment, or do you want all of the segments that are included in that section?
Just the first, please - but do read the new title before beginning a new segment. Some sections contain so many short pieces that to include them all would make the titling unwieldy.

Cheers,
Paul