[SOLO] The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield Fisher - dc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield Fisher (1879 - 1958).

Married couple Lester and Evangeline must learn to cope when, after Lester suffers an accident that leaves him confined to the house, Evangeline must become the bread-winner of the family. As their traditional, gendered roles are upended, their relationships with each other and their children change forever.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b244184&view=1up&seq=1
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Family Life; General Fiction/Published 1900 onward; Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: feminism, parenting, gender, gender roles, progressive

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Home-Maker. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Home-Maker, by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Home-Maker, by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename homemaker_##_canfieldfisher_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. homemaker_01_canfieldfisher_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Manders375 on August 31st, 2020, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Welcome first-time BC
This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator (BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs/edit

Instructions for BCs and DPLs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/edit

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

ID3 tags will be added during cataloging so you don't need to add them to your files.

If you have any questions, please ask. Extra sections can be added by you or deleted by me. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) volunteers.

When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. The link from the uploader goes in the "Listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. You also change the "status" to "Ready for PL". Be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

Some of the contents of the MW will appear in the final project page that listeners see and it will be used to create the ID3 tags that appear on their mp3 player. Again, welcome to your first solo project.
DaveC
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I’d be happy to be the DPL :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

Awesome, thank you Dave and Jenn! I'll be sure to get the MW updated. I'm excited to embark on my first solo!
Amanda Mehl
"...a magnificent sulphurous conflagration of Promethean flames blazing in his little heart." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Jenn added as DPL.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum.
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

Hello, just posting here to update. I still intend to record this project. I had an emergency come up that I needed to attend to, but I am back in the game now. Hoping to get the first section done in the next week or so. Thanks! 8-)
Amanda Mehl
"...a magnificent sulphurous conflagration of Promethean flames blazing in his little heart." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Thank you for the update. Hope is all well now.
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

Section 1 completed! Link is in the MW. 18:37
I discovered an awesome assemblage of words at the end of this chapter which I'm going to add to my signature. I'm glad I chose this book! :D
Amanda Mehl
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Loved listening to you read the first chapter!! Can't wait for more! And yes, that was quite the assemblage of words there at the end :shock:

Section 1 Note:

Easy fix- The end silence is very close to 6 seconds instead 5. Would you mind trimming just a little off? I never know how picky to be about this when proof listening, but since it's easy to fix I thought I'd mention it.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4-6s is probably ok but as you say, it's easy to fix.
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

Okay sure, no problem! Sometimes I have a hard time telling when to start counting the 5 seconds, so I err on the side of starting the second after the last audible sound, if that makes sense. But I can totally trim it. Thanks for the quick PL and the nice feedback!
Amanda Mehl
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

craigdav1 wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 8:43 am 4-6s is probably ok but as you say, it's easy to fix.
Good to know! I'll remember that. Thanks!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Manders375 wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 1:53 pm Okay sure, no problem! Sometimes I have a hard time telling when to start counting the 5 seconds, so I err on the side of starting the second after the last audible sound, if that makes sense. But I can totally trim it. Thanks for the quick PL and the nice feedback!
I know exactly what you mean, haha. If you record in Audacity there is an option under Generate -> Silence that allows you to add the exact length you want to the end. That way you can just stop recording and not have to worry about counting. I use a different program to record, but do something similar so I don't have to sit silently holding my breath and count to 5 :lol:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings