Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

All right, it’s yours! :)
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
flokepner

Post by flokepner »

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/morecelticfairytales_17_jacobs_128kb.mp3

Flo Kepner, Section 17, duration 15:07.167

This is my first read, so I am very eager for feedback. Thank you!
Ares

Post by Ares »

Hi! here is my recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/morecelticfairytales_12_jacobs_128kb.mp3
duration: 19:53

Waiting for feedback too! :-)
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

flokepner wrote: September 8th, 2020, 1:39 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/morecelticfairytales_17_jacobs_128kb.mp3

OK, will get to it soonest possible. And yours, Ares. Bear with me, we're in COVID lockdown and so here things are a bit all over the place consequently.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Bookworm360 wrote: September 7th, 2020, 8:55 am All right, it’s yours! :)
But Bookworm, flokepner asked for 17 and 19 back in early September, but you don't appear to have put either into the MW. Her claim predates the one you have just granted, and there don't appear to be any other free sections!
I have added Flo as a reader and assigned her 17, but she really should get 19 as well.
regards
Jane Bennett
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

All right, she can have it. :D It is hers in the MW!
flokepner

Post by flokepner »

Jmbau13 wrote: September 9th, 2020, 11:20 pm
Bookworm360 wrote: September 7th, 2020, 8:55 am All right, it’s yours! :)
But Bookworm, flokepner asked for 17 and 19 back in early September, but you don't appear to have put either into the MW. Her claim predates the one you have just granted, and there don't appear to be any other free sections!
I have added Flo as a reader and assigned her 17, but she really should get 19 as well.
I'm ok with someone else taking 19. My name wasn't on it yet because I'm new.
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

flokepner wrote: September 8th, 2020, 1:39 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/morecelticfairytales_17_jacobs_128kb.mp3

Hi Flo
Your reading is PL OK. Congratulations. That is a very good recording for a first timer - you've read it well, and got all the specs right as well, including the length of silences at beginning and end. Thanks for following all the directions and for proof listening your own work before submitting, making my job as PL easy. Keep up the good work.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Bookworm360 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 7:41 am All right, she can have it. :D It is hers in the MW!
There are now TWO readers listed for the same section 19. Can you fix please?
regards
Jane Bennett
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Yes, as soon as possible!
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

All sections submitted before this date have been PL'd so I am now up to date.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Ares wrote: September 9th, 2020, 4:44 am Hi! here is my recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/morecelticfairytales_12_jacobs_128kb.mp3

Ares, I have marked your section PL OK.
But with this post, are you asking for feedback beyond the standard for PL? If so, can you give me an indication of what kind of feedback you are seeking?
regards
Jane Bennett
Ares

Post by Ares »

Jmbau13 wrote: September 12th, 2020, 11:55 pm

But with this post, are you asking for feedback beyond the standard for PL? If so, can you give me an indication of what kind of feedback you are seeking?
Thanks a lot. I wanted opinions/recommendations for me to know in what to focus improvement.
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Ares wrote: September 13th, 2020, 12:52 am
Jmbau13 wrote: September 12th, 2020, 11:55 pm

Thanks a lot. I wanted opinions/recommendations for me to know in what to focus improvement.
Ok, I'll suggest 3 things for now, mostly to do with pronunciation.

Plosives (t, d, etc) at the end of a word, eg, in this case Russet and particularly in a chapter title, given that these are separate stories. When you read The Russet Dog, you skipped the t and slurred the two words together, so instead of hearing Russet Dog, I heard something like 'Russe-dog'. Which made no sense, and I had to look up the title again to understand what it was. Better to read it more slowly, and pronounce the T clearly.

English vowel sounds. Some of your pronunciation of certain vowels are somewhat influenced by your native language (Spanish I'm guessing?)

Ducks rhymes with tucks and sucks, not (as you have read it) with tax and sax. it's a short sound, said with a dropped jaw, rather than by pulling the corners of the mouth back (You can hear the difference on this site, for example: https://forvo.com/word/ducks/
And our word 'son' (hijo) has almost exactly the same sound, the same sound as sun, bun and one, but again, not the long a.
And cock has a round O, the same as got and sod and pot... it isn't a long 'a' sound as I heard, rather like 'cack'.
These were the bits where I had to go back to the text to check what you were reading. I'd be happy to help further if you wish, eg, listen to a file of yours, pronounce some words for you etc.

Finally, just in terms of meaning, it's good to pause a bit between one part of a story and another, to give readers a chance to digest what they have heard, and prepare for the next part. For excample, around 3.52, you have finished reading about how he caught the ducks, and are about to move on to another topic with For a long time, a Tod-hunter... yet you move from about the barn straight onto For a long time with less than a second's pause and no indication we are now listening to a different topic. I would count another half beat so that the pause is closer to 1.5 or 1.8 before going on.

I do hope this does not sound discouraging, as you are reading many things very well, and I know how hard pronunciation can be in a foreign language (I'm struggling with German at the moment!). But if you could improve some of these vowel sounds, your readings would be definitely improved.
regards
Jane Bennett
Ares

Post by Ares »

Jmbau13 wrote: September 14th, 2020, 8:56 pm I do hope this does not sound discouraging, as you are reading many things very well, and I know how hard pronunciation can be in a foreign language (I'm struggling with German at the moment!). But if you could improve some of these vowel sounds, your readings would be definitely improved.
Hi! discouragement not at all! thank you very very much. I just want to improve (at the same time i enjoy reading of course). Thanks so much for pointing me at some directions. To be honest it's the not the first time i have received feedback about the vowels, i don't know how i'm going to improve them :D i'll try looking for resources on the internet about it, at the same time i carry on reading. Yeah! i'm a Spain's spanish :D :D but i really want to improve my english reading. Thanks for the help! if you'r really up to give me some help with some words, keep in touch. Maybe we could have a skype call at some point. Nice to meet you. Thanks for the help. See you ;)