COMPLETE: The Antifederalist Papers - NF/ct

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-anti-federalist-papers-by-patrick-henry/

The Antifederalist Papers.

During the period of debate over the ratification of the Constitution, numerous independent local speeches and articles were published all across the country. Initially, many of the articles in opposition were written under pseudonyms, such as "Brutus", "Centinel", and "Federal Farmer". Eventually, famous revolutionary figures such as Patrick Henry came out publicly against the Constitution. They argued that the strong national government proposed by the Federalists was a threat to the rights of individuals and that the President would become a king. They objected to the federal court system created by the proposed constitution. This produced a phenomenal body of political writing; the best and most influential of these articles and speeches were gathered by historians into a collection known as the Anti-Federalist Papers in allusion to the Federalist Papers.

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: July 4 (of course) but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!):
    http://www.constitution.org/afp/
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Antifederalist Papers. [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Antifederalist Papers."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    antifederalistpapers_##_antifederalists.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. antifederalistpapers_01_antifederalists.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title] (e.g. Section 1 - Centinel I)
    Artist: Antifederalists
    Album: The Antifederalist Papers
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
    • If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Ticktockman on May 12th, 2007, 7:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Here I am! Your friendly neighborhood MC to the rescue!
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

I'd like all the ones that haven't yet been assigned. This is a REALLY INTERESTING PROJECT to me. :D

Sibella
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Sibella,

Welcome to LV, and to this project!!

You are certainly welcome to the remaining sections. As no one is definitely sure as to the identities of Cato & Federal Farmer, there's no reason that they couldn't have been the same person (or at least sounded the same, had they recorded their letters) :D

I'm not sure that Caeristhiona & I have worked out the final naming/tagging thing, but it should be done quite soon.

Another thing that's always advised is to send in a little clip (actually Cato's letters are quite short), so we can be sure there's nothing really screwy with your recording set-up (unless, of course, you're experienced in these technical aspects already).

Great to have you on this project. Feel free to jump in on our US History project if you like, and by all means let us know what other projects you would like to see done.

Your enthusiasm reminds me of Caeristhiona in her youth :)

Look forward to hearing from you, TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

In my YOUTH??????? :x

...actually it's funny because it's so tragically true, lol. :oops: Poor little jaded me. :)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

So, we're over in "Readers Found" already?
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

You do know why I'm enthusiastic, right? I'm a PHD in poli sci, teaching this stuff. It's GREAT that my students will be able to listen to the FP/ A-FP...
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

I wasn't actually able to deduce that from your profile :)

What else do your students read?

ciao, TTM
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

All kinds of stuff that's not in the public domain. ;)
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Sibella wrote:All kinds of stuff that's not in the public domain. ;)
Rats!
Last edited by Ticktockman on May 2nd, 2007, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Caeristhiona wrote:In my YOUTH??????? :x
I figure I'm safe on this, as the chance that you are even half my age is somewhere between slim & none (and, as they say, slim just left the building) 8)
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Hehe... I hesitate to comment on the oldness of other people. ;)
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Caet,

Brutus I (Section 4):
http://tinyurl.com/2pjgff

Thanks, TTM
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Server space found. :)
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Chapter 10 (Brutus VI):
http://tinyurl.com/29k6sr

Chapter 12 (Brutus X)
http://tinyurl.com/2es7er

Thanks!