1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
JBerkhouse

Post by JBerkhouse » August 2nd, 2020, 11:43 am

Hello!

I have completed my 1 Minute Test and I am looking forward to some feedback. I recorded this with Audacity on Windows 10 using a Sudotack ST-800 USB Condenser microphone. Thank you so much for the help!

Link to test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jberkhouse.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » August 4th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Thank you for the test! :D

There are two things to fix:
-There is a bit of background hum. This is a really common thing to fix during editing! Select a few seconds of background noise only (no speech) and click Effect | Noise Reduction | Get Profile. Then select the whole recording (Ctrl+A), click Effect | Noise Reduction again, and use settings:

Noise Reduction: 10 dB
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing (bands) 6

and click OK.
You can do it once or twice.

-The volume is a bit soft. We aim for 89 dB (and generally accept anything between 87 and 91dB). Your test is about 82.5dB. You can increase the input volume when you record, or you can amplify in Audacity (assuming you use Audacity). It is not hard:
Select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify and use the setting Amplification 3 or 4. Please make sure to NOT check the box where it says Allow clipping. If you are editing your recording, you will see one blue squiggly line hitting the bottom of the window in Audacity (at least that is what happened when I did this to your test :) ). You can select the few seconds of the recording where that is happening, click Effect > Compressor and OK. That should reduce the bottom of the blue squiggle line. Now you should be able to amplify it another 3 or 4 (added toghether you should amplify about 7 or 8).

Please have a go at reducing the background hum and making the test louder, then upload and post again in this thread. You're doing well! :thumbs:
Kathrine
----
I expect to be out of range until Monday August 17. Thank you for your patience!

JBerkhouse

Post by JBerkhouse » August 8th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Hello!

So this is my second attempt at the 1 Minute Test. I have made the adjustments that were recommended and hopefully it should be good to go. Again, just in case it is important, I am using Audacity on Windows 10, recording with a Sudotack ST-800 USB Compressor microphone.

Thank you so much!

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jberkhouse.mp3

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » Today, 9:15 am

Indeed you're good to go! :thumbs: Have fun! :clap: