One Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
tomluu

Post by tomluu » July 30th, 2020, 4:33 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tomluu.mp3

Audacity
Windows
Jabra Evolve 75 (Bluetooth to PC)

Thank you for your feedback.

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » July 30th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Thank you for the test, you have a nice voice to listen to!

A few things to iron out:
- The recording is in stereo but needs to be mono. To make the track mono: select both tracks. Click Tracks > Mix > Mix Stereo down to Mono. To change the setting for future recordings, go to Edit > Preferences > Devices. Under Recording, change Channels to "1 (Mono)".

- There is a bit of background "sparkle". This is a really common thing to fix during editing! Select a few seconds of background noise only (no speech) and click Effect | Noise Reduction | Get Profile. Then select the whole recording (Ctrl+A), click Effect | Noise Reduction again, and use settings:

Noise Reduction: 10 dB
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing (bands) 6

and click OK.

- The volume is a bit soft. We aim for 89 dB (and generally accept anthing between 87 and 91dB). Your test is about 86dB. You can amplify in Audacity
Select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify and use the setting Amplification 3. Please make sure to NOT check the box where it says Allow clipping.

- The bit rate needs to be 128 kbps and constant. We fix bit rate when we export (to MP3, in our case). So, click Export > Export as MP3. In the lower half of the new window you see "Format Options". You want to first click Bit Rate Mode: Constant. Then, for Quality select 128 kbps from the drop-down menu.

Please have a go at editing, then save, upload and post again in this thread. I'm looking forward to hearing you again!
Kathrine

tomluu

Post by tomluu » July 30th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Thanks, Kathrinee. I really appreciate your feedback and advice on how to edit using Audacity.

I have uploaded the edited version. Let me know your thoughts.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tomluu1.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » August 1st, 2020, 4:29 pm

Thank you for the edits, that is a big improvement! I'd use the noise reduction effect once more (you can snip a second of room silence after the end of the reading), it will make it sound even crisper.

Give it a try, save, upload, and post again in the thread. Almost there :thumbs:
Kathrine