COMPLETE[FULL][GROUP]Multilingual Short Works Collection 026 - Poetry & Prose by Various - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
tding

Post by tding »

Kitty wrote: October 21st, 2020, 1:28 am
tding wrote: October 20th, 2020, 1:37 pmVivienne, Thank you much for a well read piece. I enjoyed it. Below are suggestions for your consideration:
thank you so much for the precise PL, Tina ! I have notified Vivienne via PM so that she can have a look at the notes.

I wanted to ask: are these errors really big errors that are changing the text and meaning a lot ? Because we are not too strict, if it's simply a small matter which doesn't really change the meaning. Example in English. "I spoke again" or "I again spoke".

We wanted to make sure that the PD text has not change too much, as you can see in the other sections there were some lines added which were not yet included in the PD version.

Maybe Michael, Yuqing and Vivienne can have a look as well and see if all this is crucial to edit.

Thank you !

Sonia
Hello, Sonia,

Thanks for the input. As you know that I've never done PL before, I read PL guidelines previously. As such, I worked on this piece, following how my own readings, no matter in English or Chinese, were PL'ed and given feedback. What I sort of learned and followed there is to be faithful to the text, which is a tighter standard than only preserving the meaning of the story. So, if there's any place deviating from the text, or deviating from how a character should be pronounced in a specific context in the story, I documented them down as "suggestions". I also totally ignored differences between Mainland China and Traditional Mandarin pronunciations. I'm more than happy to leave the decision in Vivienne's hand. She definitely put her heart into the reading - I truly heard that - and should not feel let down by my long list.

Thanks.

Tina
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tding wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 1:19 pmAs you know that I've never done PL before, I read PL guidelines previously. As such, I worked on this piece, following how my own readings, no matter in English or Chinese, were PL'ed and given feedback. What I sort of learned and followed there is to be faithful to the text, which is a tighter standard than only preserving the meaning of the story.
there are several levels of PL and the one you refer to is "word perfect", which is often the case in poetry indeed, as the words are very important there.

Here we have "standard PL" which means that small differences can get ignored if they don't change the meaning of the text. I wanted you to check with the text because it's a different source and if the new source changed, edited too much the old text then the reading would have been too different.

So for example (in English), the sentence: "the father looked at his son and asked him harshly"

> acceptable would be: "the father looked at his son and harshly asked" - turning around these two words and forgetting "him" doesn't really matter, doesn't change the meaning and can get ignored

> not acceptable would be: "the old father looked sternly at his son and suddenly he shouted a harsh question at him" - this also doesn't change the meaning of the sentence, but it's so differently written, that we have to think that the reader read from another source, where the text was heavily edited.

So you see what I mean.

But you are right, it's never bad to write every deviation down, and then we can all assess with the reader whether this is important to change or not. So your notes are extremely helpful and with the time stamps it was very easy to find back. :thumbs: You did really well.

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok, since Vivienne needs a bit more time to do the corrections, we decided that we would transfer her sections to the next collection 027.

As replacement, we use the first submission from the 27th collection, which is Rachel's Igreja do Diabo, details here in the other project thread: viewtopic.php?p=1797730#p1797730

Rachel and Vivienne have been contacted via PM to notify them of the change. :)

Todd: I have renamed all the file names now, so they should appear in alpha-numerical order now, and this is ready for the catalog.

Thank you all, we collected 12 different languages in this project :9:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Working on Catalog Page, then cataloging.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This collection is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/multilingual-short-works-collection-026-poetry-prose-by-various/

Thank you all, and especially Kazbek and Sonia. Collection 027 is already launched.

Thanks, Todd