[OPEN] Ghost and Horror Story Collection Vol. 041 - rap

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Grothmann
Posts: 795
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » August 2nd, 2020, 12:24 pm

Good Morning

His Thirteenth Wife
By Herbert Raymond Carter
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 38:31

Audio at--
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor041_thirettnthwife_carter_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at--
https://www.pulpmags.org/collections/pdf/blm19220800.pdf
(The Black Mask, August 1922-- page 89)

I think psychopaths might fit in this collection.

Thanks
Dale

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9471
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 3rd, 2020, 11:50 am

ArtemisBee wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 2:13 pm
Hello!

I hope it's ok, I recorded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor041_granddamesghoststory_cd_ejl_128kb.mp3

Grand-Dames Ghost Story
By C.D.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/53419/53419-h/53419-h.htm#GRAND-DAMES_GHOST_STORY

This is 13m 55s

I'm very excited, this is my first recording! Please list me as E.J. Lavery.

Let me know if there's anything I need to fix!

Best,
EJ
Great EJ! Welcome to Librivox!

Thank you for your story, very well and flawlessly read!

I also checked the tech specs, this being your first Librivox recording. I got the bit-rate wrong, and the volume a bit softer. So, if you are using Audacity to record, open your recording in Audacity again, and perform amplification, from menu Effects -> Amplify... Type in 8 for "Amplification (dB)". Click OK and you'll see the waveform getting bigger. That waveform size is visually a good hint for the volume, so if needed, in future recordings, increase your microphone's input volume to record in a higher volume so that when you record the waveform has this size peaking above the 0.5 mark, or, use the Checker https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker that tells you the volume of your exported mp3, so you'll know if you need to amplify and by how much to reach ~89dB volume.
Then, to set the correct bit rate. Go to export as mp3, and in the format options in the Export Window, choose "Constant" for Bit Rate Mode, and "128 kbps" for Quality. Then click Save to export and Audacity should keep these settings for all future exports. The exported file should be ready for a re-upload here, to check again :)

Here's your Reader Page in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/reader/14755 which you can also access from your name/link in the Magic Windows. It lists the projects you read for, and it can also help you keep track of your sections in ongoing projects, under the "Reader section details" link

:clap: Congrats on your first upload! Now let's make it PL OK and ready for the catalogue! :mrgreen:

Knowsmore
Posts: 5
Joined: July 20th, 2020, 10:18 am

Post by Knowsmore » August 3rd, 2020, 2:10 pm

The Cask of Amontillado

Please PL, my first recording so I was nervous, please private message me on the forums with any notes.
I am using NVIDIA RTX Voice to remove background noise and Audacity to record and edit.

Recording
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/The_Cask_of_Amontillado.mp3

Original Text

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1063/1063-h/1063-h.htm

~KM

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9471
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 3rd, 2020, 5:17 pm

That was great, TypicalJax! I especially like the character of the different voices you did. Thank you for your contribution!
It's a long recording, you must have put a lot of work in it, but I hope you can do some more. Below are PL notes, mostly repetitions. I've noted the time-stamps, which will probably change as you work through the recording, so you can either work from the last one towards the beginning, or, if you are familiar with label tracks in Audacity, use those with "Sync-Lock Tracks" on, before starting to edit.
We try to keep recordings in lengths that would fit in an audio CD, to accommodate those who use them. I think most of them do 74 minutes. You could split this recording into two, maybe just before part V. Or, this story could also be a solo project if you'd like, where each part can be its own section. :D

Around 2:05 overlapping text "his surpassing efficiency in dealing with their mysteries. On this particular expedition"

2:24 overlapping text "of a rather lively description. This river of expletives"

4:19 text missing from recording "into a story, but Hank, in bad humor, reminded him so often that he kep'"

11:11, text missing from recording "slept soundly. Hank, he saw, was swearing"

20:43, a stumble-repeat "and a brisk cooking fire"

22:40. a stumble-repeat "a crescent-shaped lake"

27:20 and 27:29 a sentence repeated "The sound traveled pleasantly over the water, but the forest at their backs seemed to swallow it down with a single gulp that permitted neither echo nor resonance." I don't know which one you'd rather keep, but note that the second time you say "resistance" for "resonance".

28:41 repetition "he exclaimed, on his feet beside him"

30:11 missing phrase "defiance. "I was only—takin' a look round—so to speak. It's always"

32:52 repetition "as mysteriously as it had come"

36:06 an extra "he" to be deleted "persisted the guide" (instead of "he persisted the guide")

40:22 I hear "branches" instead of "blankets" in "the blankets evidently stuffed against his mouth to stifle it"

44:28 I hear "compassion" instead of "companion" in "that his companion was sitting bolt upright beside him"

56:48 I hear "disappearance" instead of "appearance" in "and the body's appearance of having been dragged towards the opening"

58:58 repetition of "Simpson"

59:02 repetition of "found that he could not compass"

59:51 repetition of "the man who had shared his tent a few hours before, chatting, laughing, even singing by his side"

1:03:27 sounds a bit weird "about his heart"

1:05:13 repetition of "He knew in that moment"

1:05:28 repetition of "driven and pursued across the skiey"

1:12:14 I hear "impossible" instead of "possible" in "Simpson found it possible to tell his uncle"

1:19:03 repetition of "and though they had followed"

1:31:07 a stumble repeat on "his hand"

1:36:48 and 1:37:06 repetition of "But Cathcart long afterwards, seeking to describe the indescribable, asserts that thus might have looked a face and body that had been in air so rarified that, the weight of atmosphere being removed, the entire structure threatened to fly asunder and become—incoherent."

1:37:26 and 1:37:52 repetition of "It was Hank, though all distraught and shaking with a tearing volume of emotion he could neither handle nor understand, who brought things to a head without much ado. He went off to a little distance from the fire, apparently so that the light should not dazzle him too much, and shading his eyes for a moment with both hands, shouted in a loud voice that held anger and affection dreadfully mingled."

1:42:06 stumble repeat on "he wheezed"

Last, but certainly not least, I got the bitrate wrong, and the volume somewhat softer. So when working your recordings, and are ready to export as mp3, please check the format option in the Export Window, that "Constant" is chosen for Bit Rate Mode, and "128 kbps" for Quality.
As for the volume, see if you can amplify by 7-8dB.
Seeing that your volume changes from recording to recording, I would recommend using the Checker to check your exported files. The Checker tells you among other things, the volume of your recording, so you'll know if you need to adjust and by how much (amplify or deamplify) Ideal volume is 89dB. More information here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9471
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 3rd, 2020, 5:21 pm

Knowsmore wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 2:10 pm
The Cask of Amontillado

Please PL, my first recording so I was nervous, please private message me on the forums with any notes.
I am using NVIDIA RTX Voice to remove background noise and Audacity to record and edit.

Recording
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/The_Cask_of_Amontillado.mp3

Original Text

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1063/1063-h/1063-h.htm

~KM
Congratulations on your first recording! :clap: :clap: Thank you so much for offering your rendition of the Cask of Amontillado!
I got your file alright, and will listen later on. It's normal to be nervous, but I also hope it was fun :D

Grothmann
Posts: 795
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » August 3rd, 2020, 6:09 pm

Hi:

Did you notice "Hi Thirteenth Wife" above? I am anxious to hear what you think.

Thanks
Dale

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9471
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 4th, 2020, 1:27 am

:lol: I really don't know what to think!

He would have escaped yet again, since the detectives had already arrived and would have stopped him from eating.

Though I do think it a weak point in the story that a clockmaker would forget that the time changes into daylight savings time, since it happens in specific times of the year. But to be fair, they didn't have daylight savings time in Russia at the time of the Tzar, so ok, the plot sticks :mrgreen:

"His Thirteenth Wife" is PL OK!

ArtemisBee
Posts: 4
Joined: July 20th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Post by ArtemisBee » August 4th, 2020, 2:59 am

Thank you so much, that was very helpful! I admit, there are some aspects of Audacity I still find confusing.

Here is the new link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor041_granddamesghoststory_cd_ejl_128kb.mp3

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best,
EJ :D

Rapunzelina wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 11:50 am
ArtemisBee wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 2:13 pm
Hello!

I hope it's ok, I recorded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor041_granddamesghoststory_cd_ejl_128kb.mp3

Grand-Dames Ghost Story
By C.D.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/53419/53419-h/53419-h.htm#GRAND-DAMES_GHOST_STORY

This is 13m 55s

I'm very excited, this is my first recording! Please list me as E.J. Lavery.

Let me know if there's anything I need to fix!

Best,
EJ
Great EJ! Welcome to Librivox!

Thank you for your story, very well and flawlessly read!

I also checked the tech specs, this being your first Librivox recording. I got the bit-rate wrong, and the volume a bit softer. So, if you are using Audacity to record, open your recording in Audacity again, and perform amplification, from menu Effects -> Amplify... Type in 8 for "Amplification (dB)". Click OK and you'll see the waveform getting bigger. That waveform size is visually a good hint for the volume, so if needed, in future recordings, increase your microphone's input volume to record in a higher volume so that when you record the waveform has this size peaking above the 0.5 mark, or, use the Checker https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker that tells you the volume of your exported mp3, so you'll know if you need to amplify and by how much to reach ~89dB volume.
Then, to set the correct bit rate. Go to export as mp3, and in the format options in the Export Window, choose "Constant" for Bit Rate Mode, and "128 kbps" for Quality. Then click Save to export and Audacity should keep these settings for all future exports. The exported file should be ready for a re-upload here, to check again :)

Here's your Reader Page in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/reader/14755 which you can also access from your name/link in the Magic Windows. It lists the projects you read for, and it can also help you keep track of your sections in ongoing projects, under the "Reader section details" link

:clap: Congrats on your first upload! Now let's make it PL OK and ready for the catalogue! :mrgreen:

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9471
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 4th, 2020, 4:12 am

That's it! Thank you, EJ!

I've been using Audacity for years, and there are still new things and features I learn on it!

TheBookReader
Posts: 8
Joined: August 3rd, 2020, 1:21 pm

Post by TheBookReader » August 4th, 2020, 5:39 am

May I record "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe?

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9471
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 4th, 2020, 5:56 am

TheBookReader wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 5:39 am
May I record "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe?
Welcome to Librivox, TheBookReader! :clap:
Yes, most welcome to the Poetry Collection, since it is a poem, here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=81772 :D
You might want to do a test recording first, or use your poem recording as a test.

TheBookReader
Posts: 8
Joined: August 3rd, 2020, 1:21 pm

Post by TheBookReader » August 4th, 2020, 6:19 am

Thank you!

Okay, I will record the Raven for the Poetry Collection. And I will make sure to do a test recording first!

UnclePip
Posts: 7
Joined: July 27th, 2020, 10:34 am
Location: Norfolk, England

Post by UnclePip » August 4th, 2020, 6:26 am

Hi!

This is my maiden effort:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor041_manwenttoofar_benson_pbw_128kb.mp3

"The Man Who Went Too Far", by E.F. Benson.

The text is from Project Gutenberg,

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17893

The length of the recording is 60:55. The Checker app wasn't happy about that, but I saw someone else had submitted a story of more than an hour and a half, so I hope it's ok!

I'd like my name to appear in the catalogue as: Philip Wagner.

My website is at

https://unclepip.co.uk

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9471
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » August 4th, 2020, 7:31 am

Hi Philip! Welcome to the ghost and horror collection! *insert eerie sounds here*

Thank you so much for your offering! I will listen soonish.
but I saw someone else had submitted a story of more than an hour and a half, so I hope it's ok!
was that the one with pl notes that said the recording to be divided? :mrgreen:

No worries, 60:55 is ok. We try to accommodate listeners who use CDs so we aim for our recordings to be up to those lengths. Most CDs do 74 minutes.

Congratulations on your first recording!
Love the website!

UnclePip
Posts: 7
Joined: July 27th, 2020, 10:34 am
Location: Norfolk, England

Post by UnclePip » August 4th, 2020, 10:14 am

Super, and thanks for the kind words!

Yes, the one with the PL feedback was the one I meant. I must look further about how to split submissions...

Post Reply